The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

White jaggies/pixel artifacts around objects/models

Nefiji
Nefiji
Soul Shriven
Hey guys, I've started to play ESO just today and unfortunately am already having quite an issue with the games graphics. It's what I've described in the topic title and here are 2 screenshots of the problem:

http://abload.de/img/screenshot_20150922_1g3y9k.png (Notice the white pixels on the rooftop)
http://abload.de/img/screenshot_20150922_1pvu70.png (Here it is on the 3 persons in front of me)

These white artifacts all over the place pretty much kill all the immersion and are just unbearable. I've already tried to force all kinds of Anti-Aliasing like MSAA and FXAA. I've also tried to downsample from a higher resolution, too. But everything it does is to hide the problem more or less, but doesn't really solve it. Has anyone here experience with GPUs and its driver settings and an idea on what could cause this annoying issue?

Something related to the Global Lighting engine? I dunno. But I do hope that someone of you is more versed regarding this subject matter and is willing to help.

I'm using a GTX 960 with the latest driver update btw.

Thanks in advance!
  • Nefiji
    Nefiji
    Soul Shriven
    To be specific, I've tried downsampling from 2560x1440 to 1080p along with forcing ESO to use 8xQ MSAA, FXAA, 16x Anisotropic filtering and High quality texture filtering. And as I've already stated, it succesfully hides the jaggies for the most part, but it's not fixed as you can still see the inconvenient lighting around objects/models.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO's home cooked anti-aliasing sucks and has sucked ever since beta.

If i had some more time on my hands i'd data mine the shader source code and have a look but that's not gonna happen any time soon.

Good AA isn't really all that hard to do, no idea why no one at ZOS seems to care about the crappy edges ...
    confused24.gif
  • Nefiji
    Nefiji
    Soul Shriven
    SirAndy wrote: »
    ESO's home cooked anti-aliasing sucks and has sucked ever since beta.

Yeah, I've heared that the "white edges" issue suddenly appeared back then and wasn't changed up to this day. I wonder what they added/removed/changed back then. Definitely not a good start into ESO for me. :'(
  • Nefiji
    Nefiji
    Soul Shriven
    Bump for the glorious PC master to find this and help me fixing the issue. xP
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The AA is alittle rough in the first picture. The highlights on the one guys shoulder is alittle bright in the second picture.

That being said, really bro? The one thing eso has going for it is that the graphics are fantastic. 2560x1440 is gimmick, and so is 4k. You gain nothing from it aside from corner industry use cases where you need to zoom in on something. You're overworking your card for no real gain.

Edited by Xeven on September 23, 2015 4:05PM
  • Nefiji
    Nefiji
    Soul Shriven
    Xeven wrote: »
    The AA is alittle rough in the first picture. The highlights on the one guys shoulder is alittle bright in the secont picture.

That being said, really bro? The one thing eso has going for it is that the graphics are fantastic. 2560x1440 is gimmick, and so is 4k. You gain nothing from it aside from corner industry use cases where you need to zoom in on something. You're overworking your card for no real gain.
    The only reason why I tried downsampling is because these white edges all over the place are anything but fantastic. It's so ugly imo that I haven't been playing since yesterday and instead looking for a solution for this. I would rather play the game on 1080p with medium to high graphic settings than with downsampling + all AA maxed but with horrible white pixels. -_-

Sorry for being temperamental, but until now I'm pretty dissapointed with ESO. I would give it a 10/10 great GPU settings teacher, but these graphical issues are just immersion-breaking and ugly. :/
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had this issue for quite some time. Can't seem to get rid of it. I've upgraded cards over the months from a GTX680 to a GTX 970. Then GTX 970 SLI and I am now on a GTX 980 Classified TI with no changes as far as the jags go. I run ultra on all graphics and have a 1980x1020 resolution.
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both pics show an unfortunate clash between ESO's lighting engine and AA implementation.

In the first pic, it presents as a real issue, but in the second, I think it looks okay. You can see that the farther objects are away, the less room there is for the edge lighting to show upon until it becomes lines and dots.

I don't know what you can do about this.

I play on PC, settings cranked, sitting back on my sofa with an Xbox One controller, but I can imagine that playing on the monitor the issue becomes more apparent.

You could turn off in game AA, and apply control panel FXAA or something like that, but that generally blurs everything including text and looks pretty poor. I am told that "it's not noticeable", but oh boy, yes, yes it is.
  • Nefiji
    Nefiji
    Soul Shriven
    rb2001 wrote: »
    Both pics show an unfortunate clash between ESO's lighting engine and AA implementation.

In the first pic, it presents as a real issue, but in the second, I think it looks okay. You can see that the farther objects are away, the less room there is for the edge lighting to show upon until it becomes lines and dots.

Thanks for the explanation, now I at least know what's going on. In the second pic I've already activated 8xQ MMAA, FXAA, Anisotropic filterting x16 and Very high texture filtering, therefore it doesn't look THAT bad. But it's still pretty ugly imo. What would've otherwise looked pretty fantastic is now something that looks worsed than a game from 2002 with 1024x768 and meidocre graphic settings..

I'll probably try to demand a refund or more likely just sell this game again. It's just too bad that I've already bought an ESO Plus subscription and some crowns, because I would've never predicted that a harsh graphical bug/overlook could have stayed in an MMORPG that's over a year old.

But to ask a question about the issue itself again: Wouldn't it actually fix the bug if ESO just would let me disable all homecooked AA methods alltogether - if that's even possible?

Thanks for the answers so far. :)
    Edited by Nefiji on September 24, 2015 10:30AM