The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New player, RP questions

JollyWeasel
JollyWeasel
Soul Shriven
Hello there!

As the title states, I have just purchased the game (currently downloading as I type this) and have a few general questions about RP in this game.
  • First, how welcoming is the rp community to new players? Could I log on with my fresh out of character creation toon and be welcome into rp groups, or would I be expected to level/progress to a certain point, or learn about the game to a certain extent?
  • Second, in regards to learning the lore, my experience with Elder Scrolls lore extends to a few hours of gameplay on skyrim. Is there a lot that needs to be learned before rping properly, or can the general knowledge be picked up quickly?
  • Third, any pet peeves I should know about? Things generally frowned upon by the majority of the rp community?
  • Fourth, and more of a personal request, are there any guild/rp groups out there in the PC version of the game willing to take in a new player such as myself and get him up to speed with the whole rp scene? Would be greatly appreciated.
  • Winterpsy
    Winterpsy
    ✭✭✭
    Heya,

I am a big fan of roleplay (sadly I cant in ESO, for I am on console), and love the elder scrolls universe (even though I think the animal-people concept was fun when it was created but nowadays a bit ..."old" and childish).

There is a ton of lore you can get yourself immersed in. If you are going for roleplay could be enough if you familirize yourself with the race's lore and culture, terms & way of speech, and pick up the rest along the play.

After all how would black marsh guerilla argonian know about the whole lotta world without internet and insitutions of education? :smile: You can get on with what you would know in character.
    Big fat Nord Dragon knight with a huge hammer. - Tank
    Stealthy argonian witch templar - Healer (lowbie)
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The RP community always welcome new players. You could ask in the zone chat to join the OOC RP guild. There are people there know a lots about RP stuffs and could recommend a RP guild fit your style, or just ask around for a random tavern RP.

Level up and get the archievements will give you more cloths and dyes choice. But if you find something fit your character at low level, you could always roll with it. Don't worry about zone, because you can travel to you group/guild member in most case.

• notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello there!

As the title states, I have just purchased the game (currently downloading as I type this) and have a few general questions about RP in this game.
    • First, how welcoming is the rp community to new players? Could I log on with my fresh out of character creation toon and be welcome into rp groups, or would I be expected to level/progress to a certain point, or learn about the game to a certain extent?
    • Second, in regards to learning the lore, my experience with Elder Scrolls lore extends to a few hours of gameplay on skyrim. Is there a lot that needs to be learned before rping properly, or can the general knowledge be picked up quickly?
    • Third, any pet peeves I should know about? Things generally frowned upon by the majority of the rp community?
    • Fourth, and more of a personal request, are there any guild/rp groups out there in the PC version of the game willing to take in a new player such as myself and get him up to speed with the whole rp scene? Would be greatly appreciated.

Very welcoming, watch out for a few things: Do not be a special snowflake, be interesting. Do not force actions on others (friends might do this, but most people do not do it with everyone). Be understanding of what you walk in on, sometimes Evermore castle is used as a spot in stormhaven and others its somewhere 'new'(just examples).

If it is not UESP or imperial library, don't believe it. If you RP a semi-commoner, a vague knowledge is fine. Your characters life may have thought them little and you can pick it up as you go. If you plan to play a scholar? Might need to know alot (though none would be likely to know everything, even being versed in a specific spot is fine).

Aside from whats mentioned in number 1? Do not write a story out in an emote. Many who RP are creative writers, but nothing annoys me more than having to read 4 text boxes of stuff because you wanted to detail out everything and then include what motivated your character and her thoughts. RP should be more concise, I am trying to understand the situation. an example_Greg was looking around the room for a friend. He didn't recognize anyone and thought that it was strange. With a huff "Dont recognize a single person here" is best left to "Greg looked around the room, his face displayed confusion at the surroundings. with a huff "I dont recognize a single person here" They say the same thing, one is display what is going on and the other is what people might pick up. In the second, I wont know whey greg is looking around confused if I dont hear him, which is the reality of it. The example is very short and wouldnt bother me as much as more heinous offenses that are longer or more full of BS, but its a rough idea._

If on NA PC, castle in Evermore is a pretty common place to find people (though often closed RP that includes people that are fine if you want to watch), literally any Tavern, and most castles have a stock of RPers.
  • Ah_Rahgol
    Ah_Rahgol
    Hey!

I've been playing elder scrolls forever. I started playing Daggerfall and Redguard in my early childhood, and then Oblivion, and then Skyrim, and presently ESO. So I've gotten to get pretty involved in the ESO community, and learning tons of lore. Honestly, pay close attention when you are playing ESO, the story will inform you on a lot of lore. Join a RP guild, definitely. Just not yet, play the game, learn more, get out of the 'noob' phase. Go on the Elder Scrolls Wikia and you will be able to learn a lot.

*EDIT*
    Wikia has some good information, but websites like Tamriel journal has good information.
    Edited by Ah_Rahgol on September 21, 2015 6:24PM
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah_Rahgol wrote: »
    Hey!

I've been playing elder scrolls forever. I started playing Daggerfall and Redguard in my early childhood, and then Oblivion, and then Skyrim, and presently ESO. So I've gotten to get pretty involved in the ESO community, and learning tons of lore. Honestly, pay close attention when you are playing ESO, the story will inform you on a lot of lore. Join a RP guild, definitely. Just not yet, play the game, learn more, get out of the 'noob' phase. Go on the Elder Scrolls Wikia and you will be able to learn a lot.

Wikia has plenty of inaccurate info on it. Not a good resource
  • JollyWeasel
    JollyWeasel
    Soul Shriven
    Thank you all for your answers and advice. I will be taking it all into account when I log in later today. It's good to see the community is willing to help new players. It bodes well :)