Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A question on dyes

MrAmazing
MrAmazing
Hello all,

I have a quick, and simple question. I have a piece of armor that has a dye I really like, and it came like that out of a chest. Is there a way to find out what kind of dye is on an unaltered piece of equipment? It's probably a dye I have locked and want to know, for sure, what achievemnt to chase to unlock it.

Thanks for the help!
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I do not believe there is a way to tell what dye is used as the default color for a particular piece of armor. At least I do not know of one.

You could try dying other areas of your armor various colors and see if it matches up exactly with the color in question, but that's the only thing I can think of. Sorry :(
  • NewbieKenobi
    NewbieKenobi
    ✭✭
    I don't know if this will help but...

Take a screenshot of the armor you like.

Then take a screenshot of the dying colors at the dying station.

Then on the computer, get a Pipette Tool program, and take the color code from the armor.

Then use the pipette tool on the dying colors to see if any of them gets close or even match.

If you are on PC it shold be a walk in the park to get a screenshot. On console you would have to somehow transfer your screenshot from the console to the PC.

Best of luck.
    Xbox One | EU | SWE

"- People say you are what you eat, but I don't remember eating a f*****g legend."

Join our all swedish cross alliance guild Det Svenska Lejonet, we are always looking for more active swedish players! Join us for Pledges, Dungeons, Trials and more!

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing about the Dyes, is they look different on each armor type, material, and racial style. So, the best thing you can do is try a bunch of dyes, even ones that don't look like the one you want and see the results. I used to save dye sets until I saw that they colors are different
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• MrAmazing
    MrAmazing
    Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I have it on Xbox One so it will be some extra work to use the pipette tool, but that will be better than nothing.

Thanks again!
  • MrAmazing
    MrAmazing
    Quick update, the pipette didn't help much...

I'm going to attach a picture in case anyone has some insight on the dye. It's the gold trim on my gauntlets.
    http://imgur.com/gallery/WDSipEv/new
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best solution..

Go to a dye station with the armor you like equipped.
    Do this during the daytime, not at night or in the rain, as that affects color quality.
    Sort the colors by Hue.
    Color YOUR OTHER ARMOR every color close to that color. DO NOT CLICK APPLY.
    Especially concentrate on armor of the same type (cloth,/metal/hide)
    Make sure to also check the two "side" colors, as those affect how your brain sees the main color you are looking for.
    Write down the names of the colors closest to the color set you are looking for, and click on them one at a time.
    Mark off those that still do not look right.
    Repeat the steps above until it is close.
    Be aware, a lot of colors are locked behind achievements, so you may need to just focus on getting those achievements and cant have that dye NOW.
    Edited by Darlgon on September 21, 2015 10:55PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.