Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Light from the Darkness: A New Bug

KozawahGaming
KozawahGaming
✭✭✭
So I am on "Light from the darkness" quest and I did the shards, but now I go to free him and I activate the beam, I get two glowing crystals but no beam. I looked up the patterns online so I have the correct combination but it just doesn't work, the light from the Emiter and the first crystal just glow and the rest just go dim and go back to being off . I have sent two tickets in to ZoS, and the first one they asked me for my account email before they would look into it. O.o

Looks like this entire quest after getting the shards, one post I saw they couldn't even get the light of Merida.

I have tried everything I can think of. I have abandoned the quest, joined randoms that are doing the quest to complete it as a group, I have abandoned the quest and waited 24 and 48 hours, but literally nothing works.

Vet 5 NB- Gaelwen Forestmire (Vamp(cured)/Stam)
Vet 1 Templar- Kozawah Incarnic (None/Magicka/Healer)
Level 4 DK- Trecldur (Magicka)
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭
    looks like I didn't complete the middle part: the whole quest seems to be glitched/bugged.
  • PC0523
    PC0523
    ✭✭✭
    looks like I didn't complete the middle part: the whole quest seems to be glitched/bugged.

How did you get it to work? My girlfriend and I are stuck at this part too. No light beams so we don't know how to adjust the crystals.
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭
    PC0523 wrote: »

How did you get it to work? My girlfriend and I are stuck at this part too. No light beams so we don't know how to adjust the crystals.

Its not working at all, we are stuck until ZoS debugges it. So that may be a while.
  • Yamani
    Yamani
    ✭✭
    You can complete it, just go back to the crystal that the beam turns off at and continuously rotate it to turn it back on. It will take a long time to get that side of the puzzle fully done but you can do it. Youll have to turn it back on about every 2 turns of the next crystal down the line.
  • PC0523
    PC0523
    ✭✭✭
    Yamani wrote: »
    You can complete it, just go back to the crystal that the beam turns off at and continuously rotate it to turn it back on. It will take a long time to get that side of the puzzle fully done but you can do it. Youll have to turn it back on about every 2 turns of the next crystal down the line.

Thanks for the tip! My girlfriend and I were actually able to finish it like this. One of us was standing near the 2nd adjustable crystal to reactivate it each time it turns off, while the other one was trying to complete the invisible beam pattern.

Fortunately, I've done this quest before so I knew what was supposed to happen. Aside from looking it up on YouTube, i don't know how someone is supposed to figure this out for the first time with it being bugged like this.
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not seeing the beam and somehow one crystal rotates the crystal two before it. I can't move it past that now.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
  • Dunnottar
    Dunnottar
    Soul Shriven
    Just in case someone else is having issues with completing the "Light from the Darkness" quest I wanted to post a resolution to help others complete it. After 4 days of abandoning the quest, re-starting it again, continuous log outs/ log ins, reporting it to ESO Customer Service, & endless searches for a resolution on the internet I was finally able to complete it. Here is where I found a solution that worked for me:
    Once on the website below read the post from: [–]Whitesajer 1 point 6 days ago]
    https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/3ld1q1/light_from_the_darkness_coldharbor_quest_broken/
    Even with this quest being bugged the reason I had trouble with completing it was because I was 'speed' clicking the crystal. I had to click the lit crystal once then count up to 20 & patiently wait for the next crystal to light up. Keep in mind there was no beam connecting the crystals as I completed this quest, the only thing that happened was the next crystal beaming with a big blue light. If after counting up to 20 the light did not move to another crystal I had to click the crystal again & repeat the count up to 20. Also while counting up to 20 there were times when the next crystal lit up around the time I got to 15, but I still continued to count to 20...just to be safe. After destroying the North Receiver this will need to be completed for the South Receiver as well. Good luck & I hope this works for you!
    Edited by Dunnottar on September 25, 2015 3:11AM
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes its bugged big time. I have done this quest four times with other characters. Just another screw up from ZOS with the new update. They are johnny on the spot to correct exploits but you will wail until hell freezes over before this gets fixed.
  • Catmophere
    Catmophere
    ✭✭
    Do I have to do this quest? Can I just skip it? That this is in the "main quest" sub category makes me think the answer is 'no'.

Do we have an ETA on when it's likely to be fixed?

If I just ignore the main story quest how will the rest of the game penalize me?
  • Hyssia
    Hyssia
    ✭✭✭
    Catmophere wrote: »
    If I just ignore the main story quest how will the rest of the game penalize me?

You won't be able to proceed towards your quest to stop Molag Bal and the Planemeld. You will miss your opportunity to start the Cadwell's Silver quest line, which starts in Auridon (Aldmeri Dominion zone).
  • DarthElmo
    DarthElmo
    Soul Shriven
    You know that Monte Python skit where each one attempts to outdo the next guy on how tough they had it when they were young? (It's called the Four Yorkshiremen, BTW. Great skit!) Well, I can't even get the Light from the Darkness quest to even start, let alone try to resolve it the way you're discussing above. (The Light of Meridia isn't even available under the tree although it should be. I'm not trying to hijack this thread, though. Please, no suggestions about it.) There's been zero progress on a resolution so far. Best of luck to you all; I hope you get past this soon!
  • Catmophere
    Catmophere
    ✭✭
    Hyssia wrote: »

You won't be able to proceed towards your quest to stop Molag Bal and the Planemeld. You will miss your opportunity to start the Cadwell's Silver quest line, which starts in Auridon (Aldmeri Dominion zone).

oh? that's that sealed urn I've had taking up a space in my inventory forever. I would quite like that space back again :) Not to mention I'm kind of curious about that quest. And I made a mule in Auridon and it's very pretty and I would quite like to go there. Coldharbour is miserable and gloomy and I just wanted to get that area over and done with ASAP. And now this. Ah well, plenty of other pretty areas in the game.

I'm using the time to go back and do the delves I skipped in easier levels as I was getting pwned. Hope this gets fixed soon though. Is there any way we can escalate the issue and ask for greater attention from the devs? Do the devs actually read these kind of threads? I'm pretty new here so I have no feel for how seriously they will regard this issue.

I would quite like to be able to progress though.
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Update: Still unable to complete the quest, no sound when I turn the crystals the correct amount of turns, and I tried abandoning the quest and logging out for 15 as a "Steve" from ZoS Customer Support has suggested. I abandoned the quest at Sunday and I will attempt to redo it Thursday. Customer Support from my ticket has really gone down hill. I emailed back after "Steve" tried to help me and this prick "John" just told me what the freaking Alyied King is telling me.

John I hope you get fired and become homeless.
  • Brianms
    Brianms
    Soul Shriven
    I abandoned and can't even require the quest! Anyone have any tips where to pick it up or how??
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Update to the Update: Abandoning the quest for 72 hours did nothing. No email from ZoS back when I told them the customer service was declining. Steve was the most helpful, but his idea/solution failed. Hopefully the will get back to me?
  • Catmophere
    Catmophere
    ✭✭
    Yeah this is beginning to be a stuck point for me. Not sure what to do.

People who have been here a while, what is the ZoS standard on these things? Are we just dirty rotten questors and therefore we will be ignored? When does your experience suggest they are likely to fix this.
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭

People who have been here a while, what is the ZoS standard on these things? Are we just dirty rotten questors and therefore we will be ignored? When does your experience suggest they are likely to fix this.

From the email they sent me it was basically a "Sorry, but you're screwed until we we find out/care enough to fix it"
  • sadownik
    sadownik
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From the email they sent me it was basically a "Sorry, but you're screwed until we we find out/care enough to fix it"

heh my NB is parked on that quest. Not that im in a hurry, frankly speaking its just a good excuse not to log in, since i kinda lost it when it comes to ESO.
  • MeerkatWarlord
    Okay, So I did this quest a few days ago, and I can't exactly explain HOW to do it, but I can try to help here.

When you rotate a crystal, walk around it, and watch the glow it gives off. There will be a slight bulge on the glow that points to where it's aimed at.

tumblr_nvmlyerFbQ1ucfug2o1_250.png
    (sort of like this)

Point the bulge at the next crystal and wait a few seconds (3-4).
    There's a delay on the light hitting the next crystal and the next crystal lighting up.

I hope this helps.
    Edited by MeerkatWarlord on October 3, 2015 4:14AM
    I play on the XBOX ONE

Zanaam-ri - AD Khajiit DPS MagBlade (Grand Master Crafter)
    Haldrion - AD High Elf DPS MagSorc
    Gedryn - EP Dark Elf DPS StamBlade
    Amalene - DC Imperial Stamplar
    Jeebo the Mad - AD Argonian Tank Dragonknight
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

My experience when the final quest for the Covenant storyline was bugged many months ago was that it took well over a month to be acknowledged and even longer to fix. At least that one didnt completely stop me from progressing in the game. I eventually went back to finish it as a VR 10.

I'll try the workarounds for this one on my alt because I have no confidence it will be fixed soon. You should probably try the suggested workarounds too.

Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, So I did this quest a few days ago, and I can't exactly explain HOW to do it, but I can try to help here.

When you rotate a crystal, walk around it, and watch the glow it gives off. There will be a slight bulge on the glow that points to where it's aimed at.

tumblr_nvmlyerFbQ1ucfug2o1_250.png
    (sort of like this)

Point the bulge at the next crystal and wait a few seconds (3-4).
    There's a delay on the light hitting the next crystal and the next crystal lighting up.

I hope this helps.

Yeah the problem is the crystals either just don't glow so they don't register as active, or they do glow and I rotate it once and it extinguishes.
  • Catmophere
    Catmophere
    ✭✭
    Followed similar advice as in the other thread and maybe 5 seconds or longer between turning. Finally got through the quest. Good thing too - AD is gorgeous and Coldharbour was gloomily getting me down (although I do like the water there and Cadwell is pretty cool ).
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Followed similar advice as in the other thread and maybe 5 seconds or longer between turning. Finally got through the quest. Good thing too - AD is gorgeous and Coldharbour was gloomily getting me down (although I do like the water there and Cadwell is pretty cool ).
    That's not water....
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭

I have waited 10+ minutes in between turning, it still does the same thing. Don't you think I would have already tried the advice BEFORE I contacted Zenimax?

• GoodFella146
    GoodFella146
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I helped a buddy get thru this in a 2 player group. He left the room which seemed to fix everything crystal related, but as soon as he came back in it gliched back. He left, I repositioned everything, he ran in, hit was he was supposed to, and it auto-completed it. Easy.