The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Veteran Leveling as a DK

belly2504
belly2504
Hi All,

I'm sure I'll get no end of smart ass comments for This post but here goes anyway.

I have recently just hit Veteran 3 rank on my Dragon Knight.

I currently play an Orc Dragon Knight with 7 / 7 ashen grip medium armor ( it's the only set I can craft at the moment) and like to play the game this way I know I could buy some thing better

I have all my skill points in Stamina at the moment

I have a bow as my main weapon with my bar set as follows snipe, poison arrow, magnum shot, obsidian shield, green dragon blood, ultimate is werewolf

My second bar is 2 handed set up as follows, burning breath ,unstable flame, executioner, critical rush, rally, ultimate is dragon leap.

My problem at the moment is while this worked well levelin up to veteran rank I don't seem to have the damage output I used to and my surviability is terrible.

Are there any good veteran leveling builds out there for stamina dragon knights i love using my two handed weapon but seem to get severely smashed when I do.

I PVE to haven't tried PVP.

Any help appreciated PSN ID Belly8304
  • AudioVortex
    AudioVortex
    ✭✭
    So I've recently swapped over to stam DK in order to fully kit out a tank build. But a tank build is useless while levelling, I think using a bow here is where you are struggling. A good way to open don't get me wrong but after that you'll be running around kiting trying not to be hit, which wastes time. (Or you might not, hence the 2h bar).

Either way, what I have been doing has worked for me since the new patch and quest grinds. I have 2h and DW. A combination of rally, crit rush, wrecking blow and then executioner finishes most appropriately level mobs with ease, I then move onto the next. If there is a few more I have eruption on bar.

Duel wield I have a few DK buffs with the DW buff as well, alongside steel tornado which goes great to finish off a large group all at once. I do this in 5 Med and 2 Heavy, med for that much needed stam regen and the heavy is great for a little extra survivability. My 5 med ashen grip as the breath is a great addition to area damage and seems to proc loads! I also recommend nights silence at least 3 parts for that extra stam.

I rarely need dragons blood on my bar when I level (swap in for longer fights). Battle Roar passive is your best friend.

I'll post my bar in more detail, if you're interested, later on today. Bearing in mind I use completely different gear and set up for pvp, end game, etc, this is just for quest grinding.

Edited by AudioVortex on September 22, 2015 9:59AM
    Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
    Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
    Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
    EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
    EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite
  • belly2504
    belly2504
    Hey AudioVortex would love to see your build in more detail if you could. I am starting to think I want to swap over to a 2H dual wield build.

I have recently been hammering the 2 handed abilities lately and love it.
  • Hlaadriel
    Hlaadriel
    ✭✭✭
    You have no aoe, no real aoe dots. both bars are mostly single target. While this works til vet rank you' ll be in trouble. Drop the werewolf, it is useless in new DLC. use standart of might. 2H cleave is a good aoe cone, scatering shot (whatever the name is) from bow as well...
  • belly2504
    belly2504
    Thanks for the advice I'll drop werewolf from my bar and give cleave ago
  • Mandrel8
    Mandrel8
    ✭✭✭
    The go-to guy for build models, by the way, is the site for Deltia Gaming. Amazing knowledge.

Are you EP, AD, DC? And NA or EU?

I totally sympathise with your issues, this is not the easiest game as a solo player.
    I levelled up as a DK 2H stamina build. Not a build that the serious killing machines out there would respect but then, my thinking was that this was what I would do if this was a solo game not an MMO and you have to play the way YOU want.

Yes, I have come across lower level players who are stronger than I am in public dungeons and delves but I've made this build work for me. I'm now Vr10 in a Vr8 area on Cadwell's gold (EP playing solo) despite the fact I've only completed a couple of the group dungeons and pledges because I didn't have a player group coming up through the ranks. Never done PvP either!

Don't despair, I seem to remember that Vr1 was a doddle and then Vr2 I just kept dying and dying for a while. I'm now equipped with heavy armour on at least chest, legs, helmet and I've put all my CP into health and armour buffs.

Ashen Grip is good, once improved but don't dismiss the handy bits of armour/jewellery etc that you come across, they may see you through until you can upgrade your set. Play around with pieces in your inventory and check your stats (in character)
    Make sure your jewellery buffs wherever you feel squishy.

You are using magicka based skills, so you need some points or armour buffs to support that.
    I'm assuming you're already using food buffs. I find Markarth short pig is mighty handy. Happy to send you some if you can't make purple recipes.
    Since the patch, have you checked that your mundus stone is still active?

In the next few levels, you are going to start making some real money as the quests pay more, so that will help with buying better kit. If you're in a Guild, a guildie will probably be happy to upgrade your kit for you, if asked.

If not, if you're EU server and want to friend/message me, I'd be happy to make/improve some armour for you. You'd only need to send me the materials if I haven't got them.
  • belly2504
    belly2504
    Hi Mandrel8

Thanks so much for the reply, I play daggerfall covenant North America server,

I pretty much end up playing solo most of the time due to the times I play, I'm in Australia and most of my guil dies are asleep when I play, and the Aussies are at work.

This game is so much harder when playing solo. I'm going to go and try 4 pieces of medium and 3 heavy.

Yeah VR1 one easy but I am dying a lot more now I'm going to play around tomorrow with the comments mentioned above.
  • Mandrel8
    Mandrel8
    ✭✭✭
    I see the problem. So sorry I couldn't help you out. It's lunchtime here, 1.45pm so I'm guessing 10.45pm where you are. I'm a middle of the night player myself and often find myself alone in a big world full of monsters, lurking in the shadows hoping against hope that some other insomniac will fetch up in the middle of nowhere to help take down some boss! Best of luck, anyway.