The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Quest - A Foot in the Door Needs Work

ArrerBoy
ArrerBoy
✭✭✭
Tried to do this. First thing I tried to do was fight a summoner, like the quest says. Spar with them, beat them to near death and move on. Problem is when they reset, the game seems to forget that I just beat them and treats it like I lost. Maybe it was just that NPC that was bugged. So I try the other summoner punching bag. Same problem.

So then I thought maybe it was just the summoner division that had this problem and tried to do a different division. Tried again with sorcerer, and the thing still reset without crediting me! The quest can't progress because the NPCs reset without adding to my quest objectives. And to make matters worse, guard NPCs walk in the way of my sparring with the NPCs. One hit in the wrong direction and suddenly I'm a fugitive. Is this a recent problem or has this been ongoing for a while?
  • TGWarlock
    TGWarlock
    ArrerBoy wrote: »
    Tried to do this. First thing I tried to do was fight a summoner, like the quest says. Spar with them, beat them to near death and move on. Problem is when they reset, the game seems to forget that I just beat them and treats it like I lost. Maybe it was just that NPC that was bugged. So I try the other summoner punching bag. Same problem.

So then I thought maybe it was just the summoner division that had this problem and tried to do a different division. Tried again with sorcerer, and the thing still reset without crediting me! The quest can't progress because the NPCs reset without adding to my quest objectives. And to make matters worse, guard NPCs walk in the way of my sparring with the NPCs. One hit in the wrong direction and suddenly I'm a fugitive. Is this a recent problem or has this been ongoing for a while?

Just got to this quest and am having the same problem. Tried quitting the game and restarting, and abandoning the quest and getting it again. No help. Since your post was back in September, I guessing it's not that common a problem.
  • TitanJeff
    TitanJeff
    ✭✭
    There now and having issues just sparring. I clobber my sparring partner only to have them trot back to their spot, the arrow return over their head and look like they are ready to fight again.

Any suggestions? This is the first real glitch I've had for some time.
  • Avianographer
    Avianographer
    ✭✭
    I completed this quest last night (Cadwell's Silver, so it was veteran ranked). This happened to me once with the Swordmaster sparring partner, but I assumed it was because I was at low health when I won. I tried again with the same partner and thoroughly trounced her. It let me move on.

I have the option to prevent harming innocents enabled, so that might help you to avoid becoming a fugitive, @ArrerBoy
  • daryl.rasmusenb14_ESO
    Having the same issue, spar with summoner and swordmaster and it keeps resetting.
  • KatastropheMei
    KatastropheMei
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same problem. This situation clearly a bug. Has anyone else found a way around it? It is particularly frustrating for me because I am not that far away from getting the achievement for completing all the quests in the Aldmeri Dominion... A goal I have been working on for months. T.T
  • KatastropheMei
    KatastropheMei
    Soul Shriven
    I have the same problem. This situation clearly a bug. Has anyone else found a way around it? It is particularly frustrating for me because I am not that far away from getting the achievement for completing all the quests in the Aldmeri Dominion... A goal I have been working on for months. T.T

I made a group with someone who didn't have the bug and it worked! I finally beat the quest and now have the Dominion Hero title!