Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stamina NB Help.

Sunburnt_Penguin
Sunburnt_Penguin
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi all.

I'm a level 41 Imperial stamina NB with my points as follows: 3 Magicka, 14 Health and 23 Stamina.

I use Bows (level 46) but I'm unsure what to use as my back-up for close-quarters. Typically I've just been using the class-skills and this is my order:
Piercing Mark > Ambush > Cloak > Surprise Attack > whatever to 25% > Killer's Blade

This is fine for PvE but I feel massively unpowered in PvP and think it could be down to not utilising back-up actives and passives. I tend to flick between 2H and DW and haven't noticed any significant difference.

What's best for the NB, is it 2H (level 27) or DW (level 33)? And what actives and passives should I be using?

I'm relatively new and still trying to get my head around everything. I've googled some builds but there's so many out there relating to different patches that it's hard to identify the most effective one.

Thanks
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi all.

I'm a level 41 Imperial stamina NB with my points as follows: 3 Magicka, 14 Health and 23 Stamina.

You need to put most or all of your points into Stamina. You might want to put some into Health to give yourself enough to not be one shotted, but not sure what that should be for non vet PVP. Also, Purple or Blue Foods are pretty much essential, mostly because everyone else is using them. In addition, you should have Stamina Glyphs on your armor, and I would put Stamina Cost reduction glyphs on your jewelry. Some like Regen Glyphs for PVP.

Then, what crafted sets are you using? Anything that helps Stamina and Weapon Damage?

As for builds, it has more to do with your playstyle as to what to choose. Speaking of which, are you using the NB abilities to best advantage? Cloaking, sneaking, getting off a nice burst opener, going back into Cloak and repositioning and throwing in some crowd control? NB's are all about Tactics and movement in addition to rotations and gear.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, I'll look at shifting my attributes around then as that may help with DPS which I guess could be my issue i.e. I'm not killing them fast enough which in turn means I'm subject to more damage.

Yeah, my friend who I PvP with is levelling up provisioning and enchanting to create us better food & glyphs whereas I'm levelling up clothing to create us the gear. I normally try to equip stamina-based gear but due to armour stats, it's often a mix between that and health. I find that I'm levelling up too quickly to really focus that much on sets but it's something that I'll definitely be looking at.

In regards to playstyles, I think I'm doing it right. The order I said above is typically for when we jump people in a 2 or 1v1 scenario, in our favour. When there's a full scale fight we'll just sit back, cloak, mark and snipe. Then when we're under siege we'll sneak out and try to burn their siege equipment or pick a few of them off.
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    @Sunburnt_Penguin

You bring up a very good point - you are going to level up quick through VR1... then, things can slow down a bit (unless you are grinding and drinking exp potions to maintain the pace). You may find that you are best served to just get to VR levels now and not worry as much about PvP... your choice really, but just an idea.

You may use the time to level a few skills and pick up some more skill points too.

There's quite a bit of interesting and challenging PvE content if you have a smaller group which your crew may wish to tackle as you get into the VR levels... Vet Dungeons, Dragon Star Arena, Undaunted daily challenges for gold keys (save them till you get to VR16!), trials, Craglorn questline... Craglorn Delves, Trials... quite a bit of PvE content to enjoy which will put you to the task if you decide to go that route...

Back to PvP... ESO offers a great mix of rewards on both sides of the house, and folks on either camp will have gear earned from end game content and likely, from both sides. Cyrodil's Light Rings and Martial Knowledge Armor - comes from Cyrodil... Footman's and Healer set... Great find in Dragonstar Arena... Monster Helms and Shoulders come from a combination of Vet Dungeons and Undaunted dailies... and now we have Imperial City and it's new offerings a plenty to acquire in a new PvP space... but I digress.

Crafting is going to be an essential element, no matter where your ESO path takes you. In a competitive direction for PvP, make sure you consider the game types available. Not all PvP is the same. Don't be surprised when you hit VR16 and the guys with top gear are still rolling you in PvP, the pond has some big fish in it, learn from them if you truly want to move up in PvP - taking your lumps is going to be part of the rat race, and don't get caught just doing the same thing over and over... it's not Call of Duty... there are groups of folks who PVE and PVP and their builds of top gear are going to be tough to combat in mass, thus solo in PvP is doable, and also has its pitfalls... and yes, a gear war in PvP is very much at play.

Whether you are looking at Cyrodil pvp or IC... or a specific campaign type, you may also need to curtail your build goals toward game type, map, area... don't be afraid to move to a different guest campaign or game type... sometimes, you just gotta try something different.

PvP is just a very different animal from PvE. It has different rewards, different goals, different motivations... different threats... different buffs / debuffs to prepare for / against... as such, different builds. Keep that in mind. You mentioned you were having PvE successes and doing some research. As you continue to research, make sure you are looking at post 1.7 info, and make sure you are looking at PvP builds that curtail to your interests.

There are some very good youtube videos on dueling in PvP after the 1.7 drop, but there are a ton of nuances to consider, including skills, resource management, DPS, healing, 1.7 changes to shields and stamina... list goes on. There's no one size fits all, and no perfect answers. The game, the meta and even Zos's tuning is ever changing!! You'll have to be willing to adapt if you want to hold your own in PvP... its the nature of the beast. You'll need to do your homework in order to be competitive. There will be a lot of trial, error and learning along the way as you develop your toon and consider where / how you want to play that toon in the PvP spaces in the game. Be flexible and have more than one set of skills leveled so you can try new and different things.

Decent Dueling Vid between two well knowns to get you start to thinking about dueling / PvP builds:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7o1x5yPuos

NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @tactica

Sorry for the late reply but thank you for your detailed answer - it's very helpful.

• tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    NP, most importantly, its a game, have fun. :)
    Knowledge is Power
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like you have the right idea. The abilities you listed are good for PvP and PVE.

Keep researching medium armor with the goal of 6 traits in each medium armor. 5 piece Hundings Rage, 3 Piece Ashen Grip is a good combo.

+1 on Blue foods (Health and Stamina) at your level. Makes a big difference.

2H in my opinion is superior to DW because of Rally (Momentum Morph) which gives a heal and 20% weapon damage boost. I started DW and miss Steel Tornado in some situations but Acid Spray from bow does a respectable job as an AoE. Rally is just too valuable in my opinion.

This should make you hit pretty hard in PVE. PvP has changed alot since the patch, and in my opinion, not for the better. I have a VR13 Stam NB with the above setup, and I feel underpowered as well. The 50% damage reduction, plus changes to battle leveling make me feel like i'm hitting like a wet noodle in comparison to before the patch. Now days it seems like the only way to kill enemy players quickly is to zerg up. I am really hoping they tweak this because I liked doing more solo or small group PvP, but it just doesn't seem as enjoyable these days. You may feel more powerful at max level with max gear, but its a long road to VR16, and then acquiring max stat gear is a grind in itself.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    @MrTarkanian48

I agree. This last patch 1.7 went a long way to blow the wind out of a lot of players sails.

In PvE, where I spend most of my time - readying for end game, group content, etc... it doesn't feel like your toon is as powerful as it was. I have no vr14-vr16 toons... and like you say, maybe the curve comes back... but wow did they do a number on what I could do, vs. what I can do now. I'm not a fan of the changes. I'm hoping there are more changes in favor of the mid game players.
    Knowledge is Power
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tactica wrote: »
    @MrTarkanian48

I agree. This last patch 1.7 went a long way to blow the wind out of a lot of players sails.

In PvE, where I spend most of my time - readying for end game, group content, etc... it doesn't feel like your toon is as powerful as it was. I have no vr14-vr16 toons... and like you say, maybe the curve comes back... but wow did they do a number on what I could do, vs. what I can do now. I'm not a fan of the changes. I'm hoping there are more changes in favor of the mid game players.

At v16 with the right gear you certainly feel the big boost ^^ one of the v16 jewellery sets + dmg glyphs give almost 1k wpn/spell power and roughly 4k stamina/magicka with the right traits.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭

At v16 with the right gear you certainly feel the big boost ^^ one of the v16 jewellery sets + dmg glyphs give almost 1k wpn/spell power and roughly 4k stamina/magicka with the right traits.

@leepalmer95 ,

I look forward to that experience at some point. Right now, seems I'm hitting a bit of a slow down around the late VR11 number on my DK.

I made some good progress with VR6-VR11 with Cyrodil dailies, but the exp really feels like its slowed down. Been doing cyrodil dailies to get to that point, but doing know where to go to next to get my VR12+ levels at a good pace. (open to suggestions though!)
    Knowledge is Power
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tactica wrote: »

@leepalmer95 ,

I look forward to that experience at some point. Right now, seems I'm hitting a bit of a slow down around the late VR11 number on my DK.

I made some good progress with VR6-VR11 with Cyrodil dailies, but the exp really feels like its slowed down. Been doing cyrodil dailies to get to that point, but doing know where to go to next to get my VR12+ levels at a good pace. (open to suggestions though!)

Theres a few grind zones that work until about v14 i only know the dc ones, but the imperial sewers isn't bad exp after that.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...