Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Scathing Mage and Overwhelming Surge Sets

Doyle414
Doyle414
Where can one obtain these sets? Are either of them crafted?

Any help much appreciated!
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scathing Mage drops in normal (v1-15) or veteran (v1-16) Imperial City Prison. Overwhelming drops in normal (v1-v15) or veteran (v1-16) White Gold Tower. They can drop off any mob (aside from critters) inside these dungeons, as well as the trophy vaults in their respective dungeons.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • Wisler89
    Wisler89
    ✭✭✭
    They can drop off any mob (aside from critters) inside these dungeons, as well as the trophy vaults in their respective dungeons.

Please note that in the time one drops from a "normal" mob for someone in a four man group, together you already got about 10 set drops from the bosses. Or maybe even each person got 10 drops. The droprate from normal mobs is veeeery low.
    Eclaire Farron, V16 Sorc
    Claire Etro, V16 NB
    Leveling a DK and Temp because I'm bored
    Server: EU - AD, Guild: Lux Dei
  • Doyle414
    Doyle414
    Thanks for taking the time to answer! Are they bind on pickup? Or are we able to buy/sell them?
    Scathing Mage drops ...
    Wisler89 wrote: »
    They can drop off any mob (aside from critters) inside these dungeons, as well as the trophy vaults in their respective dungeons.

Please note that ...

• lath
    lath
    ✭✭
    yes they are, you cannot sell them
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Please note that in the time one drops from a "normal" mob for someone in a four man group, together you already got about 10 set drops from the bosses. Or maybe even each person got 10 drops. The droprate from normal mobs is veeeery low.

Incorrect, I get most of my set pieces from trash rather than bosses. The drop rate is low all together, and is actually even lower from bosses due to conflicting drops. Bosses often drop weapons or armor pieces that are unbound from a set or any unique appearance/etc yet are named items with flavor text. If a boss drops one of these items, it cannot drop a set piece. However, mobs have a lower chance to drop either or, but have less items to cycle through when they trigger a bonus drop. Meaning they actually have a better chance to drop a set piece than bosses.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

• Wisler89
    Wisler89
    ✭✭✭

Incorrect, I get most of my set pieces from trash rather than bosses. The drop rate is low all together, and is actually even lower from bosses due to conflicting drops. Bosses often drop weapons or armor pieces that are unbound from a set or any unique appearance/etc yet are named items with flavor text. If a boss drops one of these items, it cannot drop a set piece. However, mobs have a lower chance to drop either or, but have less items to cycle through when they trigger a bonus drop. Meaning they actually have a better chance to drop a set piece than bosses.

Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that, if I get the "super special unique" item a boss can drop, I won't get a set item?If that's true it explains sooo much :disappointed:

And funny how RNG effects everyone different. Most guildmates get about 1 in 5 set drops from mobs, a few have yet to get anything from mobs and already finished at least 1 set. And then we have this one person who gets 1 from mobs nearly each run.
    Eclaire Farron, V16 Sorc
    Claire Etro, V16 NB
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that, if I get the "super special unique" item a boss can drop, I won't get a set item?If that's true it explains sooo much :disappointed:

And funny how RNG effects everyone different. Most guildmates get about 1 in 5 set drops from mobs, a few have yet to get anything from mobs and already finished at least 1 set. And then we have this one person who gets 1 from mobs nearly each run.

Correct, those "super special unique" items consume your chance at getting a set piece. And after my 5 hour grinding sessions I usually end up with anywhere from 5-10 of those and only 1 set piece, IF that. My "luck" (I hesitate to call it that because I feel like there's something else going on behind the scenes) has been horrendous with these new sets. I've cleared both vWGT and vICP over 20 times each, and tons of half runs where we clear up to the 2nd or 3rd boss in each and reset, and only have obtained roughly 7 dropped set pieces, and 6 from chest vaults.

There is definitely something fishy going on since my group mates will often get 2-3 set pieces a run, while I'm stuck not getting a single piece after 4 complete runs of either dungeon. It's actually got me to take a break from the game, and I've literally been playing every week for over 20 hours (at the bare minimum). I even tried bringing it up in a ticket and they simply brushed me off to the side. Seems like it's time to find a new game.

• Justin.B
    Justin.B
    How does the spell power on the Overwhelming Surge set compare to the Martial Knowledge set? The sites I have been looking at are saying Surge has much lower spell power set bonuses than Martial Knowledge.
  • Samphaa
    Samphaa
    ✭✭✭
    Justin.B wrote: »
    How does the spell power on the Overwhelming Surge set compare to the Martial Knowledge set? The sites I have been looking at are saying Surge has much lower spell power set bonuses than Martial Knowledge.

I am also quite interested to know the answer to this.
  • Senaxu
    Senaxu
    ✭✭✭
    its a difference of less then 10 spelldamage. the really difference is the magica on the vr16 pieces. its about 2k more for me (in perfect Traits)
    Edited by Senaxu on September 26, 2015 11:16PM
    Unbroken EU
    Senaxu - AD Sorcerer
    Senaxu's Smurf - DC Sorcerer
    PvE-Scores(2.1): AA: 1182439 - 06:58 | HR: 114065 - 06:56 | SO: 151067 - 12:27 | DSA: 23457 - 34:36

www.twitch.tv/senaxu
    "There is still room up"
  • Wisler89
    Wisler89
    ✭✭✭
    @Gilliamtherogue yeah, I'm at about 30 WGT runs and the most I have are 4 pieces of a set. The last 10 runs were especially bad regarding drops. And then there is my brother, who was about 5 times in there and drops 2 pieces per run. Or another guildie who ran upwards of 50 times and only got one piece of spell power cure, whereas someone else ran about 10 times and already finished this set. The rng when farming WGT (and ICP) is soooo bad :disappointed: I seriously hope they change something in regards to this.
    Eclaire Farron, V16 Sorc
    Claire Etro, V16 NB