Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

breton or imperial templar?

drogon1
drogon1
✭✭✭✭
i have both at early vet levels (intended to level both a magic and a stam templar)...but time requirements will allow me to level one only. wanted one with the most versatility to go both stam tank/dps and magic heals/dps without sacrificing worthwhile advantages. i also play magic templar mainly, as i find myself needing to heal more on the templar than other classes, and respec'ing stam to heal is tiresome.

i'm thinking imperial for the best do-everything templar race, but i'll go breton if the magic advantages make it worthwhile as i've been mainly playing magic with it so far.

suggestions? does breton's magic racial advantages make it the clear favorite for healing high end content? or can the imperial's racials make up enough for it to enable it to also heal high end content well?
  • Maphusail
    Maphusail
    ✭✭✭
    Imperial is a very versatile race so you can make any role from it (tank, dps, healer). But i think that Imperial is more a good choise for playing templar tank or stamplar. In the case of magicka templar you don't need much imperial passives (more health and stamina). You need a lot of magicka that costs low. Soo Breton with its magicka cost reduction passive would be a better choise.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I totally disagree on that assessment, in case we are talking about a pvp healer. Imperial all the way.
  • Maphusail
    Maphusail
    ✭✭✭
    Dedicated PVP healer is absolutely useless, especially in IC. You need to be offensive to survive i.e. to have attack skills on your bar. And only having Breath of Life doesn't make you a healer.
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Maphusail wrote: »
    Dedicated PVP healer is absolutely useless, especially in IC. You need to be offensive to survive i.e. to have attack skills on your bar. And only having Breath of Life doesn't make you a healer.

That's a very broad statement to make. PVP healers will always be needed, especially in IC where you can be having a PVP and boss fight simultaneously. Why would you think they would suddenly not be?

For the Imperial vs Breton, Maphusail is spot on. The reason is because everyone needs to bump health up to 20k+, and everyone needs stamina for break outs, dodge rolls and blocking - so the idea is even as a magicka user, those buffs will still be useful to you so Imperial is a very versatile race.

If you know you're going to be magicka healer/dps only then Breton would be the better min/max choice.
    Edited by mklundub17_ESO on September 17, 2015 2:04PM
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Maphusail
    Maphusail
    ✭✭✭

That's a very broad statement to make. PVP healers will always be needed, especially in IC where you can be having a PVP and boss fight simultaneously. Why would you think they would suddenly not be?

The reason is because this PVP healer will absolutely depend on his group. Outside if it he's not competitive due to his only supporting role. So you need either to always play in a group or change your skills to go more into magicka dps. And even in a group you're quite vulnerable because you can't defend yourself. It's ok if you grind mobs, but if you encounter enemy players, you will be the first priority target for them.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You and me seem to have a very different definition of the tag "pvp healer".
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason is because this PVP healer will absolutely depend on his group. Outside if it he's not competitive due to his only supporting role. So you need either to always play in a group or change your skills to go more into magicka dps. And even in a group you're quite vulnerable because you can't defend yourself. It's ok if you grind mobs, but if you encounter enemy players, you will be the first priority target for them.

I dont anyone here actually think you can solo IC successfully and wreck guys 1v1 as a full time PvP healer lol. People do have common sense you know :smile:

As a magicka templar you adjust your build based on group and how much healing is needed. Sometimes the group needs a full time dedicated healer and support spammer. Than it's not "useless". Other times, usually in smaller groups, you need to play more offensive and most healing you do is a Breath of Life here and there or help with stamina stack.

Breton is a better choice for that, over Imperial.

Imperial if you also want to try more stamina or health oriented builds, later on.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, each to his own. Playing with the intend to heal in a small group will make you the primary target for every attacker, because they know that even with BoL spam, you can negate 50%+ of their damage easily. That means you will be the target of gap closers, CC, interrupts, and general damage focus.

To be able to survive that, you don't need twelve bazillion spell damage or unlimited magicks. What you actually need is stamina to dodge and break free, health to survive the burst, and a defensive build that will increase your mitigation.

Going at it with a resto staff works perfect as long as you are fighting against scrubs, but less so when fighting against teams. It is better to have a sorc pull face aggro by waving the resto stick, because he can ward up, blink out of LOS and have his healer get him through the shieldbreaker or whatever is thrown at him, while the healer stands there with 25k+ resistance buffed, with block up to prevent CC, throwing out BoLs to survive the initial assault, interspersed with a bit of purifying ritual.

For that you need the resources, not necessarily regeneration stats. That is why I think that Imperial is far superior for a templar healer in IC, since he gets a whopping 12% health and 10% stamina, that increase the benefit from your food buff as well. As said before (or somewhere else), the 9% max magicka racial of breton can be compensated by shuffling around some attribute points.

I may be alone with that opinion, but anyways.
  • Maphusail
    Maphusail
    ✭✭✭
    Block up to prevent CC? NB's fear goes through block. Stamina to break free and dodge roll? As a magicka templar even imperial you will be able to dodgeroll 3-4 times at maximum. And fear can be appied on you all the time, so after breaking CC several times you'll run off stamina.

Your described tactics seem to become obsolete since the new update came out unless it's aim is just to survive untill your buddies come to help you. In all the other cases you'll run off your resources and be dead faster than if you just don't block and keep standing in taloons or roots. The same concerns all this stuff with increasing your mitigation by using whitestrake's gear etc.

The cons of playing defensive is that you can't deal damage and at the same time you can't prevent an enemy to do so to you. You will heal, apply defensive buffs, he will continue to hit you until your resources are out. Then you die.

It may sound paradoxal, but the best way to prevent damage is to actually play offensive yourself. Hit the enemy and heal. He can't attack you all the time if you counter him by your attacks. So he would need to heal himself too and get you time for maneuver.