Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Crafted Gear Charity Auction

decompiler
decompiler
✭✭✭✭
I have a question(s) for @ZOS_GinaBruno and/or any other community managers that might care to answer.

My guild is supporting Extra Life this year. We would like to use one of our greatest strengths in ESO - crafting - to raise funds for the Children's Miracle Network Hospitals by holding a crafted gear charity auction that would be open to the entire ESO NA megaserver. The basic idea is that as of the auction end time (8am Eastern, November 8th) the highest donor wins a made-to-order set of legendary armor and two weapon sets - they would get to choose every aspect of the gear.

I don't know if you're familiar with Extra Life, but all donations are handled through their site - at no time will any money change hands between ESO players, and no one profits except for children in need of medical care. What this boils down to is essentially two separate occurrences: people donating to charity on extra-life.org and an ESO guild making an ESO player a full set of gear.

Obviously we don't want to break any of the terms or conditions from the EULA, but we do want to leverage our skill and love for this game to do good out in the the really real world. So the questions are:
  1. Is a charity auction such as this allowable in ESO?
  2. If the auction is not allowable as summarized above, can we work with you to form an alternate solution?
  3. If the auction is allowable, are there any guidelines you would like us to follow in terms of communicating with the ESO community about the auction?
Thank you for your time - I look forward to hearing back from you soon. :smiley::+1:
@decompiler
Councilor of The Moot
This space intentionally left blank
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a great idea I hope they allow it
  • decompiler
    decompiler
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno, @ZOS_JessicaFolsom, @ZOS_JasonLeavey - Looking for some feedback from our community managers.

Did I post this in the wrong place? If so I'd be happy to move it. :smile:
    @decompiler
    Councilor of The Moot

• ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Cool idea, @decompiler! We're double checking with our TOS team to make sure this is ok to run, and we'll let you know as soon as we hear.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • decompiler
    decompiler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cool idea, @decompiler! We're double checking with our TOS team to make sure this is ok to run, and we'll let you know as soon as we hear.
    Thanks, @ZOS_GinaBruno! Gathering mats may be a little more difficult with our fingers crossed, but we'll manage for now! :wink:

If you or the TOS team need any more detail in terms of how we plan to run the auction, please don't hesitate to contact me. /salute
    @decompiler
    Councilor of The Moot

• Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My two cents as someone not involved in this very admirable sounding endeavor:

I think you should have some other levels of prizes to be awarded, as the auction will certainly get to the point where people cannot afford to donate enough in order to win, and so won't donate because they can't afford to be in the running. I'd also recommend randomly drawn prizes from all the participants to encourage more participation at all levels of donation, thereby resulting in more donations.

I wish you luck in this awesome sounding endeavor!
  • decompiler
    decompiler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pomaikai wrote: »
    My two cents as someone not involved in this very admirable sounding endeavor:

I think you should have some other levels of prizes to be awarded, as the auction will certainly get to the point where people cannot afford to donate enough in order to win, and so won't donate because they can't afford to be in the running. I'd also recommend randomly drawn prizes from all the participants to encourage more participation at all levels of donation, thereby resulting in more donations.

I wish you luck in this awesome sounding endeavor!
    I wish I could give this post both "Insightful" and "Awesome" votes (... and "Agree" while I'm at it...). I know, I'll give you three stars instead! :star::star::star::wink:

Right now we have an internal "stretch goal" of auctioning off two complete sets of gear if we're able to gather enough mats in time. It's a bit early to tell if we'll make it there or not. (And today's announcement of a Nov. 2 release date for Orsinium on PC/Mac - 6 days before this auction would end - does potentially complicate things a little. But I digress...)

I particularly like your idea of a random drawing. The necessity to gather so much of everything (to cover all possible crafted set scenarios) does mean that we're guaranteed to have quite a bit of unused mats after the highest bidder's (or bidders') requests are filled...

Thanks, @Pomaikai, I will discuss this with my fellow councilors. :smiley::+1:
    @decompiler
    Councilor of The Moot

• decompiler
    decompiler
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good Morning, @ZOS_GinaBruno!

Not to press, but with so much going in the ESO universe I have to confess my fear of being forgotten. :grimace:

Thus, a gentle ping! Thank you for your time!
    @decompiler
    Councilor of The Moot

• mamericus
    mamericus
    ✭✭✭
    It's been 20 days but *bump* in hopes you will get a reply. :disappointed:
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_JasonLeavey
  • decompiler
    decompiler
    ✭✭✭✭
    mamericus wrote: »
    It's been 20 days but *bump* in hopes you will get a reply. :disappointed:
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom @ZOS_JasonLeavey

Thanks for the support and bump @mamericus!

Unfortunately, it has turned out that this idea does go against the ESO terms of service; however, ZOS and the incredibly awesome @ZOS_GinaBruno have come up with the alternate plan of providing us with some realy-real life ESO items that we will be able to auction off for Extra Life! (Huge tanks to the ZOS crew!)

Keep an eye out - I'll be posting about the new auction in it's own thread soon!
    @decompiler
    Councilor of The Moot