Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Skipped a main story quest; am I screwed out of a skill point?

Anonymity
Anonymity
Soul Shriven
So I put off doing the Guild and Main Story quests because they scaled with level and I thought I could return to do them at a later date. When I hit level 20 and went back to town the Prophet called out to me and sent me on the next quest, Castle of the Worm, without completing the previous one, Chasing Shadows.
I don't know if this is intended to work this way, and I would like to know if I am now forever out of 1 skill point on that character.

I have already tried using Customer Support to get this answered, but my belated response was "Most in-game UI issues (including NPC, quest problems and missing crowns/entitlements) can be resolved by logging out for five minutes then back in which will load you into a new game instance." And to check the forums, etc. All of those things I have done coincidentally anyway; so I am asking the community for an answer instead. And yes I did specifically mention in the support ticket that a quest in the chain was skipped and that the achievement for the previous quest was unlocked on my character.
It never once popped up in the middle of the screen like how all the other achievements I unlocked did. I ended up leveling up after completing one of those daedric anchor invasions that look like a saw blade on the map. After which I went back to town.
  • likelolwhat
    likelolwhat
    ✭✭✭✭
    TBH though it seems that skill point could be lost forever, I wouldn't worry terribly much over it. By endgame you'll have more skillpoints than you'll know what to do with. Just do the usual skyshard hunting, leveling and questing and you'll do fine. It might be tight in lower levels for a bit, but in the end it won't make a difference to miss out on one.
    Forever looking for that one avatar that no one else has...

The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - the definitive source for Elder Scrolls info. Proud founding member of the official PC UESP guild, NA server.
  • Farorin
    Farorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Occasionally put in another support ticket, I have had a similar thing happen once and the team helped me out. But keep in mind they are busy fixing bugs, working on DLC, and working on many other support and bug tickets, so it might take a while.

That being said, I have done what you have done and never had a problem with it, so maybe what happened with you was either a mistake, or a bug, I don't think it is intended to just skip through a quest you haven't done yet.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a bug; I've never known a chained quest to skip. I'm interested to see that you have the achievement though, as that shouldn't be possible without completing the quest. Might it be that you did the quest back at Level 15 and just forgot you had done? If you'd not done Chasing Shadows, then the Prophet should have appeared with that one when you first entered a city after reaching Lvl 15.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trying abandoning the quest through your journal, then travel to your first city where he generally pops up (Glenumbra for me), and see if it restarts.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will miss out on a skill point, weapon damage amulet and some gold
  • Anonymity
    Anonymity
    Soul Shriven
    Figured as much on the loss, but I'll try resending a support ticket every month or 3 weeks though. Hopefully It'll get fixed by support.
    The date for the achievement is the same day I hit level 20 so there's no way I'd have forgotten; also it still said Chasing Shadows back at level 19 when I was looking at my quest log.
    This is my first character so I don't know the story, but I remember it starting because the prophet had found where the redguard was being held captive and that I had to walk through a portal to try and save him. I had decided to not walk through the portal and put off doing the quest so that I could get a the quest reward at a later date; because I figured the rewards would scale to a higher level since the quest's level scaled with my level.
    You cannot abandon main story quests. I had just logged on to try it.

I probably won't reroll my character because I spent most of my time exploring and taking my time leveling instead of power grinding. Progress of almost 100 hours of play time including the fifth upgrade on the bag or whatever was the maximum pre-DLC, and 50/60 on the horse carry training as well as 50 on provisions. I really don't want to redo all that.

Thank you for the responses.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you had Chasing Shadows in your log and it randomly disappeared? That's very strange.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • VShane
    VShane
    ✭✭✭
    Don't sweat it, I have a VR1 and he has 7 skill points sitting around doing nothing. Only because this particular DK is really really focused on a single weapon, he's a grunt, my go to "angry day" tension guy. To release steam so to speak.