Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lorebooks, and Books

ChibiMechaX78
ChibiMechaX78
✭✭
After finally getting the last Mages Guild quest due to not getting the quest for the longest time. I did it, got the folium, and Shali gave me the ability to remember all the books, not just the lorebooks. But everything. It KILLS ME that I had actually wished prior to getting the last Mages Guild quest that the library had even the gold glowing books in it too. Then I get it and I am thinking "Oh my god did I miss books that I can't get now?"

I really would enjoy finding all the Lorebooks but I did not know that I would ever gain this ability to "remember" all books read. So those golden glowing books on tables I didn't always read.

Is there ANY of those gold glowing books that I will not be able to go back to get due to this? Any of them in levels? Reports? Any of them?

And luckily if not is there guides to finding them?

If not...
Please tell me this isn't so! I'd want to go back and read them :(
Edited by ChibiMechaX78 on September 8, 2015 10:03PM
  • Saddiq
    Saddiq
    ✭✭✭
    I believe (?) there is a very small handful of books that are in one-time entry zones that you can never go back to after completing a given quest. Some of these are, I think, in the Coldharbor sections of the Main Story where you can never return after completing them.

But if this is true, it is a tiny minority of them.

And yes, there's a tonne of add-ons that will take you to all the books (if you're Mac/PC of course). There's also lots of good websites that are very thorough. It's a simple google search term along the lines of 'lore book guide for Auridon', etc.
  • Saddiq
    Saddiq
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, you can always read them outside ESO itself at the website "The Imperial Library". That's where I do all my lore reading anyway.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Saddiq wrote: »
    I believe (?) there is a very small handful of books that are in one-time entry zones that you can never go back to after completing a given quest. Some of these are, I think, in the Coldharbor sections of the Main Story where you can never return after completing them.

And yes, there's a tonne of add-ons that will take you to all the books (if you're Mac/PC of course). There's also lots of good websites that are very thorough. It's a simple google search term along the lines of 'lore book guide for Auridon', etc.

While I believe that it is true that some books are currently in areas you can't reach after doing the quest, a lot of these (not all) have actually been added to the open world (for example, most if not all books from the Main Story can be found littering the ground near the harborage. I don't know if they are always there or if they only appear after your character completes the story).

Also there are quite a few books that are bugged and don't appear in the library no matter how many times you read them (I submit bug reports every time I find one like this).
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on September 8, 2015 11:58PM
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    Saddiq wrote: »

While I believe that it is true that some books are currently in areas you can't reach after doing the quest, a lot of these (not all) have actually been added to the open world (for example, most if not all books from the Main Story can be found littering the ground near the harborage. I don't know if they are always there or if they only appear after your character completes the story).

Also there are quite a few books that are bugged and don't appear in the library no matter how many times you read them (I submit bug reports every time I find one like this).

I actually did find a book outside of harborage (minus the the vol 12 of torture techniques) that I picked up, disappeared but did not say "Lorebook discovered" on screen. I don't remember the name of the book, nor did I check if it was in the library because I didn't expect to disappear when I touched I didn't think to look at the name that quickly.

I hope it is in there though. I will periodically drop by the harborage, and see if any books are there. I only saw that one though.

I know the guy above said I could read these books elsewhere, but my completionist inside of me wants me to gather them all. :(
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there ANY of those gold glowing books that I will not be able to go back to get due to this? Any of them in levels? Reports? Any of them?

I was in a Deadric Plane that you get sent to from time to time and just as I hit the Portal to leave I saw a Lore Book on the ground. I tried to stop the port but alas I could not. But I do remember it having a specific title related to the quest I was on. So, yes, there are a few books that you may not be able to ever get if you miss them. But not many.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there ANY of those gold glowing books that I will not be able to go back to get due to this? Any of them in levels? Reports?
    Don't sweat the ones you won't get in the solo quests. There are plenty of lore books you can read to rank up the Mage skill tree, which only goes to 10.

The only lore books which add to this skill are the books that glow blue and you can go back to get them. There's only a certain number of them, and you can search online for their locations, if you don't want to spend time chasing them down yourself.

Every book gives you the same exp, so it'll take a while to unlock level 10. I'm currently at 6 doing Caldwell's Silver, and I still have 6 more factions to search, not including Coldharbour (sped past that just to clear it) and Craglorn.

• ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Is there ANY of those gold glowing books that I will not be able to go back to get due to this? Any of them in levels? Reports?
    Don't sweat the ones you won't get in the solo quests. There are plenty of lore books you can read to rank up the Mage skill tree, which only goes to 10.

The only lore books which add to this skill are the books that glow blue and you can go back to get them. There's only a certain number of them, and you can search online for their locations, if you don't want to spend time chasing them down yourself.

Every book gives you the same exp, so it'll take a while to unlock level 10. I'm currently at 6 doing Caldwell's Silver, and I still have 6 more factions to search, not including Coldharbour (sped past that just to clear it) and Craglorn.

I'm not worried about obtaining the Lorebooks. I am concerned about the gold books that don't count towards the mages guild skill line but are added to the library after you do the last mages guild quest.
  • ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I was in a Deadric Plane that you get sent to from time to time and just as I hit the Portal to leave I saw a Lore Book on the ground. I tried to stop the port but alas I could not. But I do remember it having a specific title related to the quest I was on. So, yes, there are a few books that you may not be able to ever get if you miss them. But not many.

Aww really? :(

I thought the debs wouldn't think to put a Lorebook in one of those due to not being able to get them later. I've never seen a Lorebook in those only the gold books.

Darn... :/ the collector inside of me weeps the tears of incompletion.
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most lorebooks have multiple locations where they can be found. The only exceptions I know of being the books in the Dungeon Lore collection, which are always found in the same set location inside their respective dungeons and the books in the Trial of Eyevea collection, which are only found during the Mage's guild quests.

Unless you've skipped the Mage's guild quest line or there's a bug that prevents them from registering, I don't think it's possible not to unlock the entries for the Trial of Eyevea collection. You have to pick those books up at some point in order to progress through each quest stage.

As for the books that count towards Eidetic Memory, I've noticed that several of the books found in instanced areas that you can no longer enter can be found laying around just outside or at least somewhere in the vicinity of those areas. Whether or not all such entries can be found that way I can't confirm. I honestly have not bothered to track them all down so I really can't say for sure.
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Fruitmass wrote: »
    As for the books that count towards Eidetic Memory, I've noticed that several of the books found in instanced areas that you can no longer enter can be found laying around just outside or at least somewhere in the vicinity of those areas. Whether or not all such entries can be found that way I can't confirm. I honestly have not bothered to track them all down so I really can't say for sure.

I have also found this to be true (for at least some of the books)...I actually tested it last night and the books appear to show up outside an instanced area after the quest inside has been completed. As Fruitmass stated they will be very close to the entrance of the instanced area.

• ChibiMechaX78
    ChibiMechaX78
    ✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    Fruitmass wrote: »

I have also found this to be true (for at least some of the books)...I actually tested it last night and the books appear to show up outside an instanced area after the quest inside has been completed. As Fruitmass stated they will be very close to the entrance of the instanced area.

I take it there isn't any guides out there to aid this search for those ones that appear outside but around the vincinity of previously done instances?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    I take it there isn't any guides out there to aid this search for those ones that appear outside but around the vincinity of previously done instances?

I don't know of one :(

To be honest, I'm not sure it has always been that way. I never noticed in books appearing outside instances when I first started playing at launch, but at some point early this year (or late last year) I would start to see them. The devs might have added it in because they realized that people were finding themselves in the exact same spot you are...I'm a completionist myself, so I feel your pain at having holes in the lore library.