Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Any reason for Alchemy survey to only include a select few ingredients?

Morimizo
Morimizo
✭✭✭✭✭
It seems the Alchemy surveys could use some love.

All the other surveys have at least a chance of finding great rare items, like:

Enchanting: Kuta; Clothing, Blacksmithing, Woodworking (in Craglorn anyway), Nirncrux; No provisioning survey, but good items in the writ reward itself.

The Alchemy writ reward gives you NO chance of a rare item, and the surveys only include:

Blessed Thistle, Bugloss, Columbine, Cornflower, Dragonthorn, Lady's Smock, Mountain Flower, and Wormwood.

and NEVER:

Blue Entoloma, Emetic Russula, Imp Stool, Luminous Russula, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, Stinkhorn, Violet Caprinus, Water Hyacinth, or Whitecap.

That's 8 possible to find, 10 not.

Why the apparent negligence?
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nobody has an idea about this, or just doesn't bother anyone?
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most people wish it was narrowed down to Bugloss, Columbine and Mountain Flower....
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most people wish it was narrowed down to Bugloss, Columbine and Mountain Flower....

Yes, I know those make for currently good mixtures, but don't you think there should be SOMETHING to look forward to, if not a better variety, then some sort of rare? I understand Perfect Roe would be ridiculous, but how about something new that was purple or gold, and a botanical?

This system is thin as it is.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morimizo wrote: »
    the surveys only include:
    Blessed Thistle, Bugloss, Columbine, Cornflower, Dragonthorn, Lady's Smock, Mountain Flower, and Wormwood.

Highlighted the only 3 you'll ever need ...
    popcorn.gif
  • whyB
    whyB
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I know those make for currently good mixtures, but don't you think there should be SOMETHING to look forward to, if not a better variety, then some sort of rare? I understand Perfect Roe would be ridiculous, but how about something new that was purple or gold, and a botanical?

What is currently in the game that is botanical, purple or gold....or even blue?

• Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whyB wrote: »

What is currently in the game that is botanical, purple or gold....or even blue?

Nothing, that's my point. THIN. I understand that something would need to be added.

Edited by Morimizo on September 8, 2015 6:51PM
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Considering how much a Columbine is worth and how worthless Nirnroot is I'd say alchemy isn't a bad writ to complete.

1 Pot + 3 nirnroot = 600+ gold , 3 cloudmist, 9 Mats + chance at survey for another 21 mats etc.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Pewpewcannon
    meh...water hyancith is pretty good for mages too. But i dont mind that its not in writs since its so easy to find.
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So what you really want is Alchemy to follow the other crafts and have rare and super rare items.

I'm all for that if my stacks of columbine, bugloss and mountain flower suddenly become purple items :)

But really it is the usefulness of the item that gives it value - regardless of whether it's green, blue, purple or yellow. A lot of items aren't useful, just because they are "rare" doesn't make them valuable.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I respectfully disagree. I would like Namira's Rot included in there as well. That is the only one I am always short on.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blue Entoloma, Emetic Russula, Imp Stool, Luminous Russula, Namira's Rot, Nirnroot, Stinkhorn, Violet Caprinus, Water Hyacinth, or Whitecap.

Why the apparent negligence?

Most of those are Mushrooms and I would not want them. However the Namira's Rot is useful. Nirnroot would be nice. There are two Surveys in Craglorn that have a Reagent Spawn mixed in with the Survey Location, and I thought it was part of the survey until I noticed it did not say "Lush". But I have gotten two out of those often.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    I respectfully disagree. I would like Namira's Rot included in there as well. That is the only one I am always short on.

Aren't there only 1-2 potions using Namira's rot that aren't also made by a different, more readily available combination?
    Ezareth wrote: »
    Considering how much a Columbine is worth and how worthless Nirnroot is I'd say alchemy isn't a bad writ to complete.

1 Pot + 3 nirnroot = 600+ gold , 3 cloudmist, 9 Mats + chance at survey for another 21 mats etc.

Except that the one pot often requires your good mats... and Hollow City is like chaining alchemy surveys.

Don't get me wrong, all writs have some usefulness, but alchemy is probably close to the least useful. Well, maybe not now that nirnhoned is not in demand, have to think about that.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really only do the Alchemy writs for the quick cash (664g) and because they are so extremely easy to do and don't require that many mats, if you have the right passives. I can make 4 potions per craft attempt, so I just make a bunch of the ones I need for the writs and I collect the Nirnroot and Cloudmist while I'm out and about to keep up my supply and just simply turn in the writ after it's taken from the board.

And - I'll have to start documenting my rewards, but I do believe I've received Nirnroot, Namira's Rot, Imp Stool, and Water Hyacinth from the reward containers.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I agree, Alchemy is the red-headed stepchild of the crafts. But be careful what you wish for. The new materials that were added to crafting with the latest patch validate Zos trend to make everything in the game grindy. You are shining a light on Alchemy. How would you like to collect 10 partial bottles of reagent and spend 25k for a binding agent to make a potion? Zos makes my teeth grind.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I agree, Alchemy is the red-headed stepchild of the crafts. But be careful what you wish for. The new materials that were added to crafting with the latest patch validate Zos trend to make everything in the game grindy. You are shining a light on Alchemy. How would you like to collect 10 partial bottles of reagent and spend 25k for a binding agent to make a potion? Zos makes my teeth grind.[/quote

*sighs* This is unfortunately the Magnus' Honest Truth.

Why is it so difficult to add something to the game that is fun, that isn't locked behind a thermonuclear RNG?

Surely if it was fun, people would keep playing.

And no, I'm not calling you surely. :) ]
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hehe, that's just it, most people could care less about the shrooms. Just give me plenty of Columbine, Bugloss, Mountain Flowers, plus Lorkhan's Tears and I'll be happy :) I do keep stacks of the mushroom's around just in case ZOS surprises us and actually make poisons useful. Then that fungus will be worth their weight in gold :)

Having said all that, I have noticed a decrease in the amount of Columbine I'm getting from my writ survey maps. I use to get at least one node from almost every map, but now I rarely get them. It might be just RNG, but it sure seems strange that I didn't notice the change until after the IC update.
    Edited by Ashtaris on September 17, 2015 3:00PM
  • Morimizo
    Morimizo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    Hehe, that's just it, most people could care less about the shrooms. Just give me plenty of Columbine, Bugloss, Mountain Flowers, plus Lorkhan's Tears and I'll be happy :) I do keep stacks of the mushroom's around just in case ZOS surprises us and actually make poisons useful. Then that fungus will be worth their weight in gold :)

Having said all that, I have noticed a decrease in the amount of Columbine I'm getting from my writ survey maps. I use to get at least one node from almost every map, but now I rarely get them. It might be just RNG, but it sure seems strange that I didn't notice the change until after the IC update.

The reason folks don't care about the 'shrooms is that the mixtures mostly make poisons, which has ZERO use in this game.

Unacceptable, and a ridiculous oversight.

Alchemy needs some attention, and allowing the coating of the weapons with poisons (like the other ES games) would rejuvenate this craft skill line.