The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How long is the life span of a High Elf?

ExCITmEnTz
ExCITmEnTz
Soul Shriven
Hello,
I was just wondering what the average life span of a high elf is. I know that some particular elf npcs lived well into there thousands through necromantic means. From what I have been hearing though it seems that most high elves live until 200. Is this correct? Do they live for longer? What are you're thoughts on this?
  • Faunter
    Faunter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Altmer along with other elf races can live two to three times as long as humans and the "beast-races" (Orc, Khajiit, and Argonian). A 200-year-old elf is old; a 300-year-old elf is very, very old.

Source: First question at http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2013/05/06/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-4
    Edited by Faunter on September 7, 2015 12:16AM
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the new Shield Breaker Set about 2.8 seconds.
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faunter wrote: »
    Altmer along with other elf races can live two to three times as long as humans and the "beast-races" (Orc, Khajiit, and Argonian). A 200-year-old elf is old; a 300-year-old elf is very, very old.

Source: First question at http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2013/05/06/ask-us-anything-variety-pack-4

I remember when I was playing Morrowind years ago, during a quest in Sadrith Mora (I think it was there) where you're supposed to obtain an enchanted robe from a Dunmer girl, they considered her to be "still a kid with her 200 years" or sometihng. I was playing the German version back then, so it could be a translation mistake, though (yes, even numbers were wrong pretty often).
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally, mer live for centuries... if not dying through illness of injury. Of course, some wizards go way beyond that... anyone remember Divayth Fyr from Morrowind? IIRC, that dunmer was supposed to be 4000 years old... Without extending their life through magic, I would gauge the normal lifespan of mer to be somewhere around 600 or so years... which is pretty standard in many fantasy backgrounds...
  • NGP
    NGP
    ✭✭✭

I remember when I was playing Morrowind years ago, during a quest in Sadrith Mora (I think it was there) where you're supposed to obtain an enchanted robe from a Dunmer girl, they considered her to be "still a kid with her 200 years" or sometihng. I was playing the German version back then, so it could be a translation mistake, though (yes, even numbers were wrong pretty often).

Guess the translator ran out of coffee that night.
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO

iirc that was Neloth speaking, who's Telvanni. Given how long they tend to live, I'm not sure I'd give it much consideration.

I feel like the expected lifespan of elves has varied pretty wildly through the series. Personally I'm more of a fan of the 200-300 Vulcan lifespan. It gives the history more meaning, especially since Nirn is less than 7,000 years old (Dawn Era notwithstanding). Why would there be so many scholars of Ayleid/Dwemer focus if every other High elf is living 1000+ years.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say around 600 years or so but wizards live a lot longer and many external factors influence it as well
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭

iirc that was Neloth speaking, who's Telvanni. Given how long they tend to live, I'm not sure I'd give it much consideration.

I feel like the expected lifespan of elves has varied pretty wildly through the series. Personally I'm more of a fan of the 200-300 Vulcan lifespan. It gives the history more meaning, especially since Nirn is less than 7,000 years old (Dawn Era notwithstanding). Why would there be so many scholars of Ayleid/Dwemer focus if every other High elf is living 1000+ years.

Yes, it was Neloth, thank you :) I haven't been playing it for a long time anymore, so I forgot many names^^
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    •High Elves live for a thousand years, two to three times longer with magic
    •Dark Elves live for 600 years (Telvanni Wizards live for 800 years)
    •Argonian 110 year or immorta (Argonians never die only their body does the soul is reborn in a new egg, the number of Argonians has never changed)
    •Khajiit, Nords, Orcs, Red Guard, Bretons, Imperials and Wood Elves all live for about 100 years (Talos at 125 was the oldest known Human)
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This was before ESO devs retconned their age with their silly AUA answer.

We know they are wrong because of the dozens of in game examples of Mer that lived to be over 500 without magic (Barenziah, Symchus, etc.) and also because several in game sources contradict their answer ("thousand year life span of the elves").

So despite their "definitive" answer, I chose to ignore them.
    @NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • ScruffyWhiskers
    ScruffyWhiskers
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before 2.1, scruffy would say 3 or 4 button presses if elf was caught unaware. Currently, scruffy has no idea. much longer and elves live much shorter when scruffy has friends helping. Scruffy needs much help making elves live much shorter. This bothers scruffy and takes joy out of killing elves.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    •High Elves live for a thousand years, two to three times longer with magic
    •Dark Elves live for 600 years (Telvanni Wizards live for 800 years)
    •Argonian 110 year or immorta (Argonians never die only their body does the soul is reborn in a new egg, the number of Argonians has never changed)
    •Khajiit, Nords, Orcs, Red Guard, Bretons, Imperials and Wood Elves all live for about 100 years (Talos at 125 was the oldest known Human)

No. Orcs live until you kill them.

For the other elves, it's probably closer to two to three centuries. Though magic (probably just basic restoration spells) can slow that process down a lot, and there's at least two Dunmer alive during the events of ESO that are still around for Morrowind and Skyrim.
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Uh..... well from old age who knows but from a war i say ohhh between 20-100
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best answer I think is this one from Bethesda in 1999:
    I've always been curious about the lifespan of elves. We all know they live much longer than all other races, is this true for the Dunmer as well? How many years would it take for you to be considered 'old'?
    Alvur Relds: Well, I'm fifty, done my twenty years in the Service, and I'm in the prime of life. I expect another fifty good years, and then I'll be old, and slow, chatting with gaffers around the hearth for another twenty, thirty years. I've known mer still mind-sharp in their late hundreds, and heard of folk 200 and older. My family usually makes it to 120-130, providing we don't get sick or poked in the eye.

This is the generally-accepted source for the "200-300 years" info being the standard life expectancy, but still allows for the fact that there will be some who live to 300+. This corroborates ZOS's AUA and pre-dates it by 14 years.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Interview_with_a_Dark_Elf
    Edited by Enodoc on September 7, 2015 9:15AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watch shoddy cast to know the lore
    High elves till 300 years.
    Edited by Van_0S on September 7, 2015 9:58AM
  • Ch4mpTW
    Ch4mpTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As my main is a High Elf, I can say that we (Altmer) live for quite a long time. It's in the genes, and we have magic as well to fortify our lifespan/longevity. So I think it's fair to say that the answer to your question would be anywhere from 100 years to approximately 3,000+ years.
  • Birdy_Reene
    BrassRazoo wrote: »

QQ some more, We like those tears extra salty
  • NordJitsu
    NordJitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Watch shoddy cast to know the lore

There is perhaps no worse source than Shoddy Cast for lore. He's wrong about almost everything that comes out of his mouth and he deletes comment that prove it with sources.

@NordJitsu - Guild Master (Main Character = Hlaalu Idas)
    GREAT HOUSE HLAALU
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they live as long as your logged in and don't delete them
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    Divayth Fyr stares at you all with compassion.
    latest?cb=20100421043920&path-prefix=ru
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LameoveR wrote: »
    Divayth Fyr

Is/was a Dunmer..
  • LameoveR
    LameoveR
    ✭✭✭✭
    He's a mer.
    Edited by LameoveR on September 12, 2015 7:23AM
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Generally, mer live for centuries... if not dying through illness of injury. Of course, some wizards go way beyond that... anyone remember Divayth Fyr from Morrowind? IIRC, that dunmer was supposed to be 4000 years old... Without extending their life through magic, I would gauge the normal lifespan of mer to be somewhere around 600 or so years... which is pretty standard in many fantasy backgrounds...

he was still around during skyrim, the telvanni have nice magic for the best of them :P
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BrassRazoo wrote: »

well done, laughed loud and now i look like a psycho :(
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    200 years is nothing for a high elf. There is one Altmer in Marbruk, he is some kind of "police officer" who approaches in one quest. He is something around 300 years old (I took a screenshot of it on my old laptop, so I don't have it anymore) And he looked like 50 or so, pretty young actually.

As far as I am aware, average Altmer live for around 400 years and Altmer live longer than any other Mer race, because Magicka highly increases the time you live and we all know, that most Altmer have more natural Magicka than any other race (shame on you Zenimax for putting them on the same level with filthy Bretons in TESO !!! ) However, there are Altmer who easily get over 1000 years ! Because they are wise mages and Magicka keeps them alive for a very very long time.

There are Altmer that whitnessed Talos' conquest of Summerset Isle at the end of the 2nd Era, so they must at least be around 800-1000+ years old to the time of Skyrim.
    Edited by Dracane on September 12, 2015 9:42AM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Digiman
    Digiman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually for a commoner but other elves can live exceptionally longer.
  • Tan9oSuccka
    Tan9oSuccka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kill them. End their misery.
    Of course I like steak. I'm a Nord, aren't I?
    -Berj Stoneheart
  • NephilimHero
    300years, but the skilled in magic and alchemy can late a few millennia
    GM of The Drunken Dukes
    High Elf Sorcerer VR 15- Valanarter Maethorion
    Xbox European Aldmeri Dominion
    "For the queen"