Maintenance for the week of October 21:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – October 21
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – October 21, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Elder scrolls lore/timeline help

zornyan
zornyan
✭✭✭✭✭
Hey just wondering if some.more hardcore lore people could help me out, I haven't played morrowind for about 10 years, and completely missed oblivion (it'd on my order going to try and start on it next week) then completed skyrim not long after release.

In just trying to piece together the lore /timeline if anyone could help?

Basically, I remember in skyrim the imperials were rebuilding the white gold tower, that it had been ransacked and the scrolls taken. I remember the thalmer being racists as such and instigating the great war. And I remember in morrowind how the slave trade was huge and a few bits and bobs.

But where are the imperials now? I know they are supposed to be a ruling nation of power, and obviously they have lost their emperor. But there's barely any around?

What state is the white gold tower currently in? Why have the imperials abandoned it and why are all the bridges destroyed?

Are the imperials considered more of 'good' ruling power?

• Syntse
    Syntse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this video has some answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAV1F7DAlnU
    Syntse Dominion Khajiit Dragonknight Stamina Tank [50]
    Ra'Syntse Dominion Khajiit Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
    Syntselle Dominion Dark Elf Dragonknight Magica DPS [50]
    Syntseus Dominion Imperial Templar Healer [50]
    Syntsetar Dominion High Elf Sorcerer Magica DPS [50]
    Friar Tuktuk Daggerfall Brenton Templar Healer [50]
    Syntseyn Ebonheart Brenton Nightblade Magica DPS [50]
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is 1000 years before the events of Skyrim.

ESO takes place in the mid second era. After the fall of the First Empire. Varen was actually trying to recreate a new Cyrodiilic Empire, which lead to the Soulburst.

At the end of the second era, a Dragonborn named Talos of Atmora took the name Tiber Septum and fought a war to rebuild the empire. Eventually ascending to become the ninth divine.

Morrowind takes place in 3E427. So about 800 years after ESO.

Oblivion takes place in 3E433, and involves a Daedric incursion by Mehrunes Dagon. This ended the Septim Dynasty and severely weakened the empire. It also ends the third era, beginning the fourth.

Skyrim is set in 4E202. So roughly 1000 years after ESO. By this point the Aldmer have broken away from the empire and started building their own. They fought a war to destroy the Empire, and sacked White Gold Tower. They also reject Talos as a divine, leading to Skyrim's "Eight Divines" bit.

So, with ESO, it's "eight divines" because the ninth doesn't exist yet. For Skyrim, it's "eight divines" because the Aldmeri reject Talos, and refuse to acknowledge him as a god.
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where to start well Morrowind has no slaves as of the time of Skyrim. The Oblivion crisis hit everyone pretty hard being attacked out of the blue all nations were defenseless and took many losses all but The Black Marsh. The Hist warned the Argonians of the coming attack even calling nearly all the Argonian back to defend the homeland. Guided by the Hist and Sithis, Black Marsh not only saved nearly all the Argonian lives but came out with an Army to boot.

After the Oblivion Crisis an all Argonian group united all the tribes into a single nation for the first time ever shorty after making the nation while they left the Empire. Black Marsh from that time till Skyrim has the biggest and strongest army, making small land grabs on Morrowind soon lend to more as Red mountain erupted. Argonian slave rose up and fought for their freedom take half of Morrowind wiping out Houses Drees and Haluue meaty kill all the Redrund and Telvine (spells are bad I know, but they are not real names so...

The White Hold Tower is fine and the Empire is just licking its wounds.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The year is 582 of the Common Era (which will later be named the "Second Era"). We are currently 948 years before Skyrim, 918 years before the Great War, 747 years before the Oblivion Crisis, and 741 years before Morrowind.

152 years ago, in 430, the Second Empire of Cyrodiil collapsed following the assassination of Potentate Savirien-Chorak. At which time, the provinces broke away, leaving the "Empire of Cyrodiil" as solely an Imperial state, and an Empire only in name - the only permanent dependency of the Empire was Cyrodiil itself, and it was at no time ruled by a Dragonborn emperor. In the absence of legitimate claimants to the Ruby Throne, the Empire of Cyrodiil was ruled over by a succession of pretenders who became emperors mainly via conquest. The most recent of these, Varen Aquilerios, assumed the throne in 573. Up until this time, Imperial society had been ticking along mostly without incident. This changed in 578, when Varen was lost in the Soulburst, and his wife Clivia Tharn became Empress Regent. Swayed by offers of power and immortality, Clivia fell under the thrall of Mannimarco, who persuaded her to blame the Mages Guild for the Soulburst and expel them from the Imperial City, allowing Mannimarco's Worm Cult to operate freely.

Beyond the Empire's borders, the other nations of Tamriel, already united into three different alliances in response to their own internal affairs, were becoming wary of increased Imperial aggression and corruption. Each alliance sought to conquer the Empire of Cyrodiil and place one of their own on the Ruby Throne, triggering the Three Banners War that wracked the whole of Tamriel in 582. With central Cyrodiil ravaged by war, most of its inhabitants scattered. Some of them hid in the northern and eastern mountains, while others fled south to Blackwood. The richest of the Imperials, mostly Nibenese, bought estates in western Colovia, around the cities of Kvatch and Anvil, away from raging war. Swayed by the Worm Cult, the Imperial City fell to Daedric invaders who were supported by Legion dissidents, leaving only a few pockets of resistance left in Cyrodiil.

So in summary, the Imperials have mostly fled Cyrodiil, and while you will still come across a few holdouts in the Cyrodiil towns, most have fled to the coasts or the Alliance territories. Much of the Legion inside the Imperial City was either coerced into Legion Zero or killed by the Daedra. Legions that were not stationed in the City, or who managed to escape, can be found in camps around Cyrodiil or conducting operations against the Alliances, officially in service of the Empress Regent, but with most of their orders likely coming from Mannimarco. Because of this, the Imperial Legion is primarily considered an enemy faction at this time.

White-Gold Tower has a dark anchor right above it, which is affecting its Aurbic stability. I won't go into that further, as I don't want to spoil the story of the WGT dungeon. The bridges have all been destroyed as a result of the Daedric takeover; it seems portions of dark anchors landed on them, and rendered them metaphysically unstable.

Today's history lesson was brought to you by UESP. Please see Empire of Cyrodiil for more.
    Edited by Enodoc on September 3, 2015 12:51PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks very much guys, clears it up for me. Seems like the true imperials were just part of s large power that wants to unite tamriel under one banner. Kind of like the Romans I suppose? And their armor seems to represent some of that.

I remember hearing about the white gold tower and the city in other games, but I'm going to have to buy oblivion just to experience it when it when the imperials own it.

Wonder if we would ever get s prequel to show the city in it's heyday?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »
    Thanks very much guys, clears it up for me. Seems like the true imperials were just part of s large power that wants to unite tamriel under one banner. Kind of like the Romans I suppose? And their armor seems to represent some of that.

I remember hearing about the white gold tower and the city in other games, but I'm going to have to buy oblivion just to experience it when it when the imperials own it.

Wonder if we would ever get s prequel to show the city in it's heyday?

Oblivion shows the Imperial City, along with most of the province in a good state. Advancing the main plot in Oblivion, (or visiting Kvatch) will cause things to start going down the tubes. But, when the game begins with Cyrodiil at it's best before the end of the Third Era.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    The year is 582 of the Common Era (which will later be named the "Second Era").

I believe The Prophet actually refers to it as The Second Era in the opening cinematic. Then again, he has been licking Elder Scrolls. So the anachronism might be related.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I appear to have arrived too late to this lore party to really add anything pertinent to the conversation that hasn't already been stated.

One thing that has confused me somewhat in ESO is the various quests in alliance zones where you're fighting against invading Imperial forces. I'm especially thinking of the ones in Bangkorai, Alik'r, and Reapers March. It has always seemed very strange to me that Imperial forces would be invading to gain more territory when they've already largely had to abandon their own territory.

The only way it makes sense to me is if those invading Imperials are based in the Colovian territories and are somehow trying to strengthen their position there by grabbing some nearby lands. It still seems like an odd approach to take, though. With most of Cyrodiil out of Imperial control, you'd think they wouldn't be picking additional fights outside of the territory they've managed to hold onto, unless it provided a very clear strategic advantage. Maybe there is a strong strategic advantage if they are able to be successful in those invasions that I'm just not seeing.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Anxileel
    Anxileel
    ✭✭✭
    Where to start well Morrowind has no slaves as of the time of Skyrim. The Oblivion crisis hit everyone pretty hard being attacked out of the blue all nations were defenseless and took many losses all but The Black Marsh. The Hist warned the Argonians of the coming attack even calling nearly all the Argonian back to defend the homeland. Guided by the Hist and Sithis, Black Marsh not only saved nearly all the Argonian lives but came out with an Army to boot.

After the Oblivion Crisis an all Argonian group united all the tribes into a single nation for the first time ever shorty after making the nation while they left the Empire. Black Marsh from that time till Skyrim has the biggest and strongest army, making small land grabs on Morrowind soon lend to more as Red mountain erupted. Argonian slave rose up and fought for their freedom take half of Morrowind wiping out Houses Drees and Haluue meaty kill all the Redrund and Telvine (spells are bad I know, but they are not real names so...

The White Hold Tower is fine and the Empire is just licking its wounds.

The group is a political group called An-Xileel.
    The Argonians shall rise and the CHEESE will be endless.
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe down to the tharns? I know that the story with my imperial character is that they left the army due to the collapse and the remaining legions using daedric powers etc.

And obviously abnur tharn himself was aligned with mannimarco after varen disappeared, and the soul burst happened. So that must have convinced some to stay with the new worm cult leadership.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And obviously abnur tharn himself was aligned with mannimarco after varen disappeared...

Okay, honestly, you should probably stop here, go back and finish the story before trying to continue the conversation... because anything any of us will say will be a horrific spoiler.

EDIT: or at least get to Valley of the Blades, so you've got a feel for the shape of things.

There's some major plot twists early on... and it looks like you haven't hit any of them.
    Edited by starkerealm on September 3, 2015 5:37PM
  • theroyalestpythonnub18_ESO
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Hmm, I appear to have arrived too late to this lore party to really add anything pertinent to the conversation that hasn't already been stated.

One thing that has confused me somewhat in ESO is the various quests in alliance zones where you're fighting against invading Imperial forces. I'm especially thinking of the ones in Bangkorai, Alik'r, and Reapers March. It has always seemed very strange to me that Imperial forces would be invading to gain more territory when they've already largely had to abandon their own territory.

The only way it makes sense to me is if those invading Imperials are based in the Colovian territories and are somehow trying to strengthen their position there by grabbing some nearby lands. It still seems like an odd approach to take, though. With most of Cyrodiil out of Imperial control, you'd think they wouldn't be picking additional fights outside of the territory they've managed to hold onto, unless it provided a very clear strategic advantage. Maybe there is a strong strategic advantage if they are able to be successful in those invasions that I'm just not seeing.

From "Minutes of the Elder Council":
    Ambassador Jadier Plourde again petitions the council to order the Seventh Legion to withdraw from Bangkorai immediately. Councilor Jirich makes a motion for the matter to be raised with the Legionary's Council. The matter is held to a vote and affirmed. Chief Councilor Lovidicus asks General Nipia to raise the matter the next time the Legionary's Council convenes. The general says it's not scheduled to convene again until First Seed of next year, but he promises to raise the matter at that time.
    Yeah... looks like the leadership is just that bad.

• zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And obviously abnur tharn himself was aligned with mannimarco after varen disappeared...

Okay, honestly, you should probably stop here, go back and finish the story before trying to continue the conversation... because anything any of us will say will be a horrific spoiler.

EDIT: or at least get to Valley of the Blades, so you've got a feel for the shape of things.

There's some major plot twists early on... and it looks like you haven't hit any of them.

I've completed the story. I know the twists lol.

Regardless of the fact he did it to save lives, (and his own skin) when he first escaped the soul burst, he appeared to be aligned with mannimarco, enough to make lyris and valen think he did, so surely the imperial army probably thought the same too? And as his niece was commanding troops with daedric forces, it wouldn't surprise me to think that some blindly stayed around, since the tharns as such a big house n all.

It seems like the imperials really don't have any morals though, I mean, the soldiers were generally just supposed to be fighting for a united empire under varen, suddenly all hell breaks loose, and instead of trying to get a hold of things that start teaming up with daedra, or going rouge. Rather than trying to be a unified force against molag bal.

• starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While the Tharns are the most visible example. It's pretty clear The Worm Cult got its claws (annelid appendages?) all over the place in the Empire's politics. So, the invasions in Reaper's March and Hammerfell are, pretty solidly, under their control.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From "Minutes of the Elder Council":
    Ambassador Jadier Plourde again petitions the council to order the Seventh Legion to withdraw from Bangkorai immediately. Councilor Jirich makes a motion for the matter to be raised with the Legionary's Council. The matter is held to a vote and affirmed. Chief Councilor Lovidicus asks General Nipia to raise the matter the next time the Legionary's Council convenes. The general says it's not scheduled to convene again until First Seed of next year, but he promises to raise the matter at that time.
    Yeah... looks like the leadership is just that bad.
    Huh, I missed that one. Thanks!
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've completed the story. I know the twists lol.

Regardless of the fact he did it to save lives, (and his own skin) when he first escaped the soul burst, he appeared to be aligned with mannimarco, enough to make lyris and valen think he did, so surely the imperial army probably thought the same too? And as his niece was commanding troops with daedric forces, it wouldn't surprise me to think that some blindly stayed around, since the tharns as such a big house n all.

It seems like the imperials really don't have any morals though, I mean, the soldiers were generally just supposed to be fighting for a united empire under varen, suddenly all hell breaks loose, and instead of trying to get a hold of things that start teaming up with daedra, or going rouge. Rather than trying to be a unified force against molag bal.

Okay, sorry, mybad.