The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Dragonknight DPS build help

xRAGEx
xRAGEx
✭✭
What's the best Dragonknight DPS build? I'm looking to respec my skills and looking for suggestions on why other Dragonknight's are doing?
  • hardcore_gmr
    hardcore_gmr
    ✭✭✭
    You gotta be way more specific then "what's the best build", because there are many best builds. Are you a tank, are you a caster, are you magic or stamina, are you solo or in group, are you max level or still leveling, are you dps or healer, or support, are you capable of crafting, are you pve or pvp or both.....I could keep going but I think you get the point. I didn't even ask the most important question, WHAT IS YOUR PLAY STYLE? This game is way more complex then what's the best generic build the sooner you start asking the right questions the sooner you will get answers.
  • xRAGEx
    xRAGEx
    ✭✭
    I'm VR1.I do everything solo, except the group dungeons. I play mostly PVE, I play an Imperial DK, with magica.
  • hardcore_gmr
    hardcore_gmr
    ✭✭✭
    Let me start by saying there are a couple of schools of thought on magic DK. First is the caster, you play this with light armor and destruction staff. You want to focus on Fire dot, so stacking dots from burning embers and engulfing flame. These skills are close range so you'll rely on your staff for range. Destructive touch is good for knock back and interrupt with a fire staff. this inflicts a dot as well and leaves enemies off balance, perfect time to knock them down again with a heavy attack. I am a big fan of entropy from the mage ' s guild because who doesn't like 20% spell damage. I take the structured morph as it gives an increase to health just for having it slotted. I also like molten armaments as a secondary buff because it boost damage on heavy attacks and can act as a ranged execution move. As imperial you get a big max stamina buff which should help you roll, dodge, run and break free. Second bar is the usual cast of skills dragon blood (either morph works) reflective scales (a dk must have imo) talons and then your choice of skills. If you go second destro staff then you want impluse, and flame lash (lava whip, I choose flame lash for the great synergy with talons and proc ' ing that second whip and heal. If you go resto staff here then grand healing, and (free slot). Ulti 's would be meteor for range aoe, and standard for close range.

Second you could take advantage of your race great health bonus and decide to be a little more tanky and up close. You can do this with medium or heavy armor, I prefer medium armor because it has that great stam regen bonus and the lower cost for roll dodge. You use s/b, and use shield charge for your gap closer, whip, talons, scales, and green dragons blood. I choose green dragons blood morph for the stamina regen. Second bar is more utility so you can do second s/b, resto staff, or destro staff. Resto for heals, destro for range, and s/b for tank. here you'll want igneous shield to combo stack health regen and give a damage shield, entropy for more spell damage, draw essence for heal and aoe and (free slot). Since you are already up close corrosive armor and standard for ulti's.
  • Corrupted_Soul
    Corrupted_Soul
    ✭✭✭
    I would recommend a high Spell damage full Magicka build.
    Light armour + 1 Medium + 1 Heavy (Undaunted level 7-9 Passive)
    Dual Wield (2x Torugs pact swords/daggers)
    Destro Staff
    DOT's
    AOE's
    Corrupted_Soul - V16 DK - PS4 NA
  • Sithisvoid
    Sithisvoid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destro Staff
    DOT's
    AOE's

I agree except i personally go resto staff for magika sustain and i do a lot of heavy attacks. Seducer set helps for sustain and rings of cyrodiils light for dmg. I do 4 pieces seducer 4 pieces magus gift with resto/destro or sometime i drop destro and duel wield with two swords of torags pact for more dmg
  • hardcore_gmr
    hardcore_gmr
    ✭✭✭
    @ corrupted_soul while I will not dispute the advice you have provided, you have provided an excellent endgame setup, but is it really wise to advise a solo player to
    Destro Staff
    DOT's
    AOE's

Sithisvoid wrote: »
    Destro Staff
    DOT's
    AOE's

I agree except i personally go resto staff for magika sustain and i do a lot of heavy attacks. Seducer set helps for sustain and rings of cyrodiils light for dmg. I do 4 pieces seducer 4 pieces magus gift with resto/destro or sometime i drop destro and duel wield with two swords of torags pact for more dmg

While I would agree that this is a great setup for mid tier/endgame for a caster, I would also consider the S/B as well for the ability to play close range and not be so squishy. one of my biggest problems with the DK magic build is that the DK doesn't have a great range ability. You almost have to play closer to the enemies to get the full use of the class' skills and talents. This is why the Destro is so popular with DK's as it gives ranged spells. Dual wield however fits the up close nature of DK perfectly but it requires being in melee range which is almost a death sentence at close range in light armor. Don't get me wrong, it can certainly be done, but requires lots of heals should you find yourself getting hit often. For DK I feel like it almost requires you to get into the enemies face and I'd rather be able to block effectively then have the extra damage from dual wield. It really comes down to play style and preference, I personally gave up staffs and run S/B and dual wield. IT gives me a great offense defense setup that lets me adjust on the fly. But then again I am a more in your face type of player.