The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Advice on a Pve sorc set up

leepalmer95
leepalmer95
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I've never properly pve'd with my sorc yet, mainly pvp, but as i;m vet 10 i decided to start doing pledges + Dsa and such.

Anyway heres what i'm thinking of running

1st Bar - Inferno Staff

Crushing shock
Frags
Endless Fury
Bound Aegis
Inner light

Bar 2 - Resto

Hardened Ward
Healing Ward
Liquid Lightning
Bound Aegis
Inner light

I'm pretty much going to medium weave with crushing shock, keep lightning up,, use frags when proc'd and execute when needed.

I don't have meteor yet sadly, far too lazy to get books as it's so much effort on console.

So ultimates are dawnbreak of smiting + Lightning Atro

Any suggestions i'm just making this up on the spot. Should i use overload? instead?
PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to tamriel foundry for more advice as well. As a character who plays sorc, looks pretty good. Overload is the bread and butter of sorc dps. For update 7, which willl come out for console later this month, some skills are changing. Most likely it's best to slot crit surge back after update 7 ( we will have to see if its back to being useful); otherwise structured entropy helps with spell dmg buff if you have it.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never properly pve'd with my sorc yet, mainly pvp, but as i;m vet 10 i decided to start doing pledges + Dsa and such.

1st Bar - Inferno Staff

Crushing shock
    Frags
    Endless Fury
    Bound Aegis
    Inner light

Bar 2 - Resto

Hardened Ward
    Healing Ward
    Liquid Lightning
    Bound Aegis
    Inner light

I'm pretty much going to medium weave with crushing shock, keep lightning up,, use frags when proc'd and execute when needed.

I don't have meteor yet sadly, far too lazy to get books as it's so much effort on console.

Any suggestions i'm just making this up on the spot. Should i use overload? instead?
    i dont know much about sorc as im still leveling mine for pve, but for group content i would switch healing ward for elemental ring.
    Edited by Mojmir on August 31, 2015 3:18PM
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been using this setup for a while (currently VR2). The spell damage difference between daggers and staff is crazy. Of course you lose out on those destro staff spells, but relying on tanking + frags I never run out of magicka, ever.

1st bar - Dual Torug's Pact Daggers

Crystal frags
    Hardened Ward
    Mages Wrath
    Liquid lightning
    Clannfear (great for tanking)

Ult: Overload (rarely need to use it)

2nd bar - Resto staff

Rapid Regen
    Healing Ward
    Harness Magicka
    Streak
    Clannfear

Ult: Devouring Swarm

There's no real burst damage there, but it's possible to tank while proccing your frags with liquid lightning and mages wrath.
    I roll with 4 pc (hat, shoulders, ring and amulet) Warlock, 5 pc Seducer and torug's pact for daggers.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »

1st Bar - Inferno Staff

Crushing shock
    Frags
    Endless Fury
    Bound Aegis
    Inner light

Bar 2 - Resto

Hardened Ward
    Healing Ward
    Liquid Lightning
    Bound Aegis
    Inner light

i dont know much about sorc as im still leveling mine for pve, but for group content i would switch healing ward for elemental ring.

aah yeah, knew i forgot something, though as theres normally a dk about i'll go with pulsar as the dk with have ele ring.
    PS4 EU DC

• ragespell
    ragespell
    ✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I've been using this setup for a while (currently VR2). The spell damage difference between daggers and staff is crazy. Of course you lose out on those destro staff spells, but relying on tanking + frags I never run out of magicka, ever.

Crystal frags
    Hardened Ward
    Mages Wrath
    Liquid lightning

2nd bar - Resto staff

Rapid Regen
    Healing Ward
    Harness Magicka
    Streak
    Clannfear

There's no real burst damage there, but it's possible to tank while proccing your frags with liquid lightning and mages wrath.
    I roll with 4 pc (hat, shoulders, ring and amulet) Warlock, 5 pc Seducer and torug's pact for daggers.

May I ask what you cast between CF procs?
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ragespell wrote: »
    Alucardo wrote: »

Crystal frags
    Hardened Ward
    Mages Wrath
    Liquid lightning

2nd bar - Resto staff

Rapid Regen
    Healing Ward
    Harness Magicka
    Streak
    Clannfear

May I ask what you cast between CF procs?

thats what i was thinking, that seems more of a burst build were as a sustained dps is far better in dungeons.
    PS4 EU DC

• BaconMagic
    BaconMagic
    ✭✭✭
    I like impulse on my frags bar, it's high damage while proccing frags.

My PvE sorc runs this

Bar 1 destro. Inner light, impulse, structured entropy (cast before any frag), elemental ring, frags, Atronach

Bar 2 destro, lightning form, hardened ward, inner light, endless fury, and a flex spot usually liquid lightning, mines or curse. Power overload here.

Rotation for AOE, lightning form+ward, drop liquid and blast AOE with ring and throw entropy then frag when Procced
    Single target impulse until proc SE then frag. Weave with fire staff. Apply buffs as needed.

With my Altmer this is very sustainable if I add some heavy attacks for regen and pop magicka potions as needed. For gear right now I have warlock 5pc with 3 jewelry and Vampires Kiss 5pc for self heal on kill. In vet dungeons I'm usually the last to die if the group wipes. I could probably stack more spell damage and crit, but I like staying alive.

• leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BaconMagic wrote: »
    I like impulse on my frags bar, it's high damage while proccing frags.

My PvE sorc runs this

Bar 1 destro. Inner light, impulse, structured entropy (cast before any frag), elemental ring, frags, Atronach

Bar 2 destro, lightning form, hardened ward, inner light, endless fury, and a flex spot usually liquid lightning, mines or curse. Power overload here.

Rotation for AOE, lightning form+ward, drop liquid and blast AOE with ring and throw entropy then frag when Procced
    Single target impulse until proc SE then frag. Weave with fire staff. Apply buffs as needed.

With my Altmer this is very sustainable if I add some heavy attacks for regen and pop magicka potions as needed. For gear right now I have warlock 5pc with 3 jewelry and Vampires Kiss 5pc for self heal on kill. In vet dungeons I'm usually the last to die if the group wipes. I could probably stack more spell damage and crit, but I like staying alive.

as a dps your meant to do dmg :P , your mean't to stack dmg, whats your spell dmg + max magicka?
    PS4 EU DC

• crowfl56
    crowfl56
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice info here thank you
  • Wisler89
    Wisler89
    ✭✭✭
    Running around with Destro/Destro. Like it more than Destro/DW
    Bar 1: Force Pulse, Frags, Liquid Lightning, Bound Aegis, Inner Light, Power Overload
    Bar 2: Pulsar, Lightning Form, Flex, Bound Aegis, Inner Light, Shooting Star
    Flex is mostly Dark Exchange (?, the one which converts Stamina to Health/Magicka) so I don't need someone with Mystic Orb. Really good for DSA. If I have no Magicka problems I use Hardend Ward. And with the patch it's questionable if Dark Exchange is still useful (don't think so :disappointed: ).
    2 Cyrodiils Light, 2 Adroitness, 4 Martial Knowledge, 2 Torugs Pakt, Master Destro-Staff but the equip will of course change with the patch.
    Without PvP-Buffs I'm sitting at 37k Magicka and 2.3k Spelldamage.
    Edited by Wisler89 on August 31, 2015 4:39PM
    Eclaire Farron, V16 Sorc
    Claire Etro, V16 NB
    Leveling a DK and Temp because I'm bored
    Server: EU - AD, Guild: Lux Dei
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few tips:

You don't need Hardened Ward or Healing Ward for PvE

Your back bar should be Dual Wield with Overload slotted for the extra spell damage. While in Overload mode, use 4 toggles (clannfear, twilight, inner light, Aegis) and Liquid Lightning. Keep LL up and spam light attacks ftw!

Take Force Pulse over Crushing Shock

Chain chug Spell Power potions for your spell crit and spell power buffs instead of using Entropy or Surge.

Alternatively, you can run a Pet build which is great for dungeons and solo PvE, check the link in my signature for more details.
    Edited by Thelon on August 31, 2015 5:38PM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »
    A few tips:

You don't need Hardened Ward or Healing Ward for PvE

Your back bar should be Dual Wield with Overload slotted for the extra spell damage. While in Overload mode, use 4 toggles (clannfear, twilight, inner light, Aegis) and Liquid Lightning. Keep LL up and spam light attacks ftw!

Take Force Pulse over Crushing Shock

Chain chug Spell Power potions for your spell crit and spell power buffs instead of using Entropy or Surge.

Alternatively, you can run a Pet build which is great for dungeons and solo PvE, check the link in my signature for more details.

This character is pvp based but i want to run a few pledges and farm bits of gear he needs ^^

Why the toggles with overload?
    PS4 EU DC

• Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The toggles are there because casting ANY OTHER SPELL while in Overload mode is a big DPS loss. The only other spell worth keeping active is Liquid Lightning.

Sorcs are great for PvE and PvP but you'll need an almost completely different setup for the two. That said, you can make it work without constant respecs.

Since your toon is PvP based:

Keep your Warrior points in Bastion

Have a good split between Elemental Expert (amazing for PvE) and Thaumaturge (great for PvP) for your Mage points.

Keep your Endless Fury morph, the other morph is better for PvE but is FAR from a must-have.

You should be able to go from PvP to PvE and back simply by changing your gear and slotted skills - no skill, attribute or CP respecs required.

Caster sorcs (like the build you proposed in the OP) can have a somewhat tricky rotation while not using Overload, that's why I recommended you check out a Pet build, which has a very simple rotation and is great for dungeons, especially when grouped with ppl that have less PvE experience.