Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorc - Destro Fire vs. Destro Shock

raasdal
raasdal
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi All,

I am using a Destro Fire on my primary bar for my Sorc build. For me, the Fire Staff is chosen for two primary reasons;

1. More damage (8+% damage buff from passive, and others as well.)
2. The ability to charge a heavy from stealth, and/oefore getting within range / visibility (ie. charging behind a wall, and then step out from cover when charge is ready)

But lately i have stumbled upon some videos of people like Legendary Mage running with Lightning / Shock staff instead.

Why is that?

I can see that you might get same or better damage buff from passives in the Sorc passives buffing Shock Spells. But not even sure a light/heavy attack from a Shock Staff counts as a Shock Spell in this regard. Also for stuff like Disintegration passive? Will that proc off a Shock Staff heavy attack ? If yes, will it proc on every tick ?

I have also been told that heavy attack from Shock Staff cannot be blocked/reflected while Fire can.

So, can anyone outline for me, the advantages of using Shock staff, compared to Fire staff?

Thanks!
PC - EU
Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Prospering
    Prospering
    ✭✭
    He uses it to proc the disintegration passive, but I personally prefer the fire staff since you can do a lot of damage with heavy attacks
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a bit of a shame.. I really wanted to use a shock staff to go with the whole lightning vibe of the sorcerer, but in reality fire damage does an insane amount more damage.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shock and frost are getting a buff in the IC patch I believe
  • Suntzu1414
    shock and frost are getting buffed.

but from what i saw in PTS. Fire staff is still king.

Kill Well
    ST
    DC - NB VR15 - Khajit - DW / S+B / Bow
    DC - NB VR 15 - Wood Elf - S+B / Resto
    DC - TP VR 15 - Brenton - Resto / Dual Wield
    DC - SC VR 12 - High Elf - Desto / Dual Wield
    EP - TP VR 5 - Nord - 2hd / 2hd
    EP - DK 20 - Imperial - S+B / Desto / Bow
  • NGP
    NGP
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe he was fighting EP?
  • Eglath
    Eglath
    ✭✭✭
    Shock heavy attack is undodgeable and unreflactable. With small chance of proccing disintegration
    Vinyamar - AD vr14 sorc RANK: 30
    RAGE Core
    Abandoned Legion Officer
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eglath wrote: »
    Shock heavy attack is undodgeable and unreflactable. With small chance of proccing disintegration

^ this. Shock staff heavy attacks are a cheap way to damage permarollers. Fire staff heavy attacks are easily avoidable. I still go with fire staff though just cos they hit so damn hard. Sometimes a Curse followed by a fully charged fire staff, cancelled by a mages wrath is enough to take people out, assuming they do nothing to mitigate the incoming damage. My hardest hitting fire staff heavy attack was 15k, admittedly against a vamp. I have lots of love for the fire staff.
    PC | EU
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Lightning is king for Sorc and always has been. IDK who keeps spreading misinformation but its ridiculously easy for anyone to test. Read your class passives.

That and fire was nerfed and lightning was buffed as of today.

EDIT

I just read the whole OP. Lol. If you hit me with a heavy fire attack from stealth Im going to faceroll you for being a noob. If you have the initiative, you dont waste it with a heavy attack. Christ people. Use your brain. In fact, you almost never want to heavy attack as a sorc in pvp. Light attack weave.

This sorc lesson has been brought to you by uncle Xeven.

Edited by Xeven on September 1, 2015 4:57AM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xeven wrote: »
    Lol. Lightning is king for Sorc and always has been. IDK who keeps spreading misinformation but its ridiculously easy for anyone to test. Read your class passives.

EDIT

I just read the whole OP. Lol. If you hit me with a heavy fire attack from stealth Im going to faceroll you for being a noob. If you have the initiative, you dont waste it with a heavy attack. Christ people. Use your brain. In fact, you almost never want to heavy attack as a sorc in pvp. Light attack weave.

Uh huh. I have no idea who you are, so I'll take my own experience over yours, thanks anyway. I carry about 4 skills that proc disintegration, don't need my staff to do it too, and I have streak and curse to hit the rollers. Can't speak for the latest patch as I can't download it yet. In my experience the fire staff is better for lining up burst, and the medium attacks can be charged in far less than a second and they hit hard. I really don't get your elitist stance on this, and it undermines what you have to say. Shame.
    PC | EU
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Xeven - Thanks for the input. Why would you not use Heavy Fire attack from stealth? When it is fully charged and it "activates" or whatever you wanna call it, i can immediately thereafter activate an ability. My normal "initiative" or ambush rotation is Heavy, Curse, CC (Either Flame Reach or Frag if Proc'ed) and then maybe Mages Wrath and an Ultimate or whatever situation demands. But i do not see how a fully charged heavy attack from a fire staff would not be the very best opening for any stealth situation? You basically get a fully charged heavy attack with 0 seconds cast time. As soon as that fireball leaves you, you can immediately activate whatever ability you would? What would YOU do from stealth as a Sorc? I am new to end-level PvP so i am curious.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

EDIT

If you don't understand why light attacks are not always the best option, why that elitist attitude?
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

EDIT

I absolutely disagree, in pvp you want burst. Light attacks dont increase your burst by much, heavy attacks do. If you time your prox det, curse, fire staff heavy attack and cfrags at roughly the same time the burst is dangerous. With light attack weave you'll do more dps over a longer time but your burst is lower which gives your enemies more time to heal or shield themselves.

Its not like people try to heavy attack someone to death, its the combination of damage skills + a well timed heavy attack that is effective.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

EDIT

I absolutely disagree, in pvp you want burst. Light attacks dont increase your burst by much, heavy attacks do. If you time your prox det, curse, fire staff heavy attack and cfrags at roughly the same time the burst is dangerous. With light attack weave you'll do more dps over a longer time but your burst is lower which gives your enemies more time to heal or shield themselves.

Its not like people try to heavy attack someone to death, its the combination of damage skills + a well timed heavy attack that is effective.

ppl heavy attack with fire in pvp? Isn't it pretty much just medium weave?

Oh i think light weaving makes your frag proc faster ^^
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sorc heavy attacking in PvP with fire is really, really, bad. It's a waste of time, a dps loss, leaves you vulnerable, and poses no threat to anyone, ever.

The arguments for sorc heavy fire attack in this thread are:

Charging it behind a wall.
    Charging it from stealth.

You're fing kidding me, I hope.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wanted to jump in here and say thank you all for being the first post I have read today that does not contain complaining. Thank you. It is nice to read people discussing the game as it is and what is best. You all get an awesome (except for the troll).
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A sorc heavy attacking in PvP with fire is really, really, bad. It's a waste of time, a dps loss, leaves you vulnerable, and poses no threat to anyone, ever.

Pretty sure staff heavy attack can't crit either ^^ , i normally throw a frag is there something specific i should be throwing?
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

EDIT

Its not effective. Every second you waste charging, youre losing crystal frag procs. Every second you waste charging, youre not putting pressure on your opponent, giving them the opportunity to put you on the defensive.

The only thing that made any sense was from stealth or behind a wall, but those are terrible arguments, lol.

Edited by Xeven on September 1, 2015 3:05PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

High burst means as much dmg at the same moment as possible, you can charge the heavy/medium attack until your curse goes off and you hit them with the procced cfrag. If you dont understand burst keep on weaving
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you talking about? You can also use that time for detonation instead, which actually procs frags, does more damage, is aoe, goes through dodge roll etc etc etc.

Burst is NOT an argument. There are much better things available.

detonation curse fury frags soul assault

detonation curse fury frags meteor

etc
    etc
    etc

That is not an argument that favors heavy attacks. PERIOD. I have an "elitist" attitude because sheeple cant think for themselves.

This lesson on how to Sorc has been once again brought to you by uncle Xeven.

Edited by Xeven on September 1, 2015 3:23PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What are you talking about? You can also use that time for detonation instead, which actually procs frags, does more damage, is aoe, goes through dodge roll etc etc etc.

etc
    etc
    etc

That is not an argument that favors heavy attacks. PERIOD. I have an "elitist" attitude because sheeple cant think for themselves.

Oh please, lets all stop discussing because you think you're right and everybody else is wrong..
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on September 1, 2015 3:32PM
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If fire was nerfed, perhaps we'll see more Cryomancers, Wild Witches, Sorcerers and Conjurers defeating Pyromancers in those random encounters. Man, those guys owned everything.
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

etc
    etc
    etc

Oh please, lets all stop discussing because you think you're right and everybody else is wrong..

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Seriously though, If I am wrong, I will admit it. Heavy attacks are not for Sorc PvP, mkay? At least not in this patch.
    Edited by Xeven on September 1, 2015 3:36PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

etc
    etc
    etc

Seriously though, If I am wrong, I will admit it. Heavy attacks are not for Sorc PvP, mkay? At least not in this patch.

Go watch the video of Sypher where he explains why he uses fire staffs
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Shock staffs over Fire on my sorc, for the disintegration opportunity and the channeled heavy attack for perma blockers/rollers.

The HA fire staff is nice, real nice. On Shock staff, no harm in hardcasting a frag from stealth.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • tist
    tist
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is you cannot properly weave with a lightning staff. Fire weaving will do more damage overall.
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

etc
    etc
    etc

You mean they guy who gave up free rent and a college education to stream ESO full time, but can no longer pay his rent? Lol. Sounds like a pretty smart guy. You should totally take advice from that guy! Better yet, send him some money, and dont forget to like and subscribe!

You cant even articulate why something is better or worse... Sheeple.
    Edited by Xeven on September 1, 2015 5:28PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

etc
    etc
    etc

You mean they guy who gave up free rent and a college education to stream ESO full time, but can no longer pay his rent? Lol. Sounds like a pretty smart guy. You should totally take advice from that guy! Better yet, send him some money, and dont forget to like and subscribe!

You cant even articulate why something is better or worse... Sheeple.

What has his personal life to do with it? He's one of the better pvp players and he will beat you 10/10 times so I'll trust his advice over your terrible arguments.

Nice to say I dont articulate while you say: IM RIGHT, PERIOD. Very precise articulation on the matter.

Let me try to explain it one last time, fire staff attacks are charged projectiles so you can the fire ball on the exact moment you want your dmg. This is useful to maximize burst dmg because you can time it easily. The goal is to have prox deto, curse and cfrags hit all at the same time and if needed proc mages fury to execute. Procced cfrags is instant cast so while you 'wait' for curse + prox deto you can charge heavy attack and release it just before curse explodes and follow it up with procced cfrags and any dmg ulitmate you like to finish your enemy.

The point of high burst is to instantly kill your target and not give him time to react to recast shields or heal himself. This gets harder vs DKs because they can reflect cfrags and fire staff heavy attacks but its still possible if you use streak to stun them for example.
    Edited by Septimus_Magna on September 1, 2015 6:28PM
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are completely lost, so this will be my last response to you.

1) I provide valid reasons why HAs are suboptimal for burst, while you try to explain what burst is, like youre still trying to wrap your brain around the concept. We know what burst is. HAs are a suboptimal choice, because thats what it is. A choice.

Syphers example was, wait for a frag proc, curse, HA, frag. That is fing terrible, and everyone can see how fing terrible it was in the video. It didnt do JACK!

My example was Detonation, Curse, Fury, Frag. By the time you cast fury, you are almost guaranteed a frag proc. You dont have to wait for it. Detonation takes just as long as a HA. It does more damage. It's AOE. It procs Frags. It goes through dodge roll. Its timed perfectly with a curse combo.

You don't have an argument. For christ sake hard casting a frag is a better choice.

2) I kill Sypher all the time, lol.

Edited by Xeven on September 1, 2015 6:58PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1) I provide valid reasons why HAs are suboptimal for burst, while you try to explain what burst is, like youre still trying to wrap your brain around the concept. We know what burst is. HAs are a suboptimal choice, because thats what it is. A choice.

Syphers example was, wait for a frag proc, curse, HA, frag. That is fing terrible.

My example was Detonation, Curse, Fury, Frag. By the time you cast fury, you are almost guaranteed a frag proc. You dont have to wait for it. Detonation takes just as long as a HA. It does more damage. It's AOE. It procs Frags. It goes through dodge roll. Its timed perfectly with a curse combo.

You don't have an argument.

So detonation, curse, fury, frag does more damage than detonation, curse, fury, frag and fire staff heavy attack?

And Im the one who's lost? Come on, its getting ridiculous now. You have to wait 8 seconds for detonation, you can weave attacks in between but just before curse and deto go of you should charge a heavy/medium attack, not fully charged ofc only to time it before the curse explosion and follow up with cfrags.
    PC - EU (AD)
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Syphers example was, wait for a frag proc, curse, HA, frag. That is fing terrible.

You don't have an argument.

So detonation, curse, fury, frag does more damage than detonation, curse, fury, frag and fire staff heavy attack?

And Im the one who's lost? Come on, its getting ridiculous now. You have to wait 8 seconds for detonation, you can weave attacks in between but just before curse and deto go of you should charge a heavy/medium attack, not fully charged ofc only to time it before the curse explosion and follow up with cfrags.

This dude is so lost. Its 4 seconds. Its like its made for a curse combo.

http://esoacademy.com/skills/inevitable-detonation/

Edited by Xeven on September 1, 2015 7:12PM