The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

FPS drop (And stuttery graphics) in Devon's watch area

AtmaDarkwolf
AtmaDarkwolf
✭✭✭
Weird 'stutter' effect, as if I had an older gpu under pressure, only seems to happen when 'lava' is ahead of me(even if blocked by environment)

GPU when monitored (on 2nd monitor) shows no extra strain, IE: its not working harder (And if so it definatly should NOT be getting bogged down by TESO lol) and as far as CPU and ram is concerned its showing no additional activity.

Someone mentioned that there is a graphics setting which, when enabled/disabled fixes this (Right now everything is enabled at max settings, and up to this point, all though both DC and AD areas, I have no experienced this anywhere)

PC is i7 4790k, dual 980ti, 32gig ram (Win 8.1)
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running ESO as SLI or single GPU? Your post sounded like you are just using one card. I run two GTX970's SLI. I had that stutter on the new system until I changed the following in the usersettings.txt file:

SET GPUSmoothingFrames "0" (This should be 0 instead of 10)

Changed both of these from "-2" to "0"

SET RequestedNumJobThreads "0"
    SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads "0"

My NVIDIA settings are few but do make a difference if you are running SLI:

SLI rendering mode set to NVIDIA Recommended
    Power management mode set to Adaptive
    Vertical sync set to Adaptive. Make sure Vsync is off in ESO.

I use msi Afterburner to monitor both cards. I am running ESO full tilt, Ultra with all other graphic settings maxed. Just put this system online two weeks ago. I had horrible stutters starting out and after a ton of research and testing the above settings made the game work like a champ. :) Hope it helps.
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give it a try (cards were not in SLI -stupid update shut it off I think- but after turning on just that in nvidia settings it still happens, and again, only in that one area)

Will update thread tomorrow/later with results

Edit : All settings were as you suggested other than 'SET RequestedNumJobThreads' and 'SET RequestedNumWorkerThreads' which were at -1 (Not -2) and now are 0.

Seems to have fixed it I think, thanks :D found it strange was seeing *any* graphic slowdown with this rig.

Very much appreciated, thank you.
    Edited by AtmaDarkwolf on August 31, 2015 12:00PM
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    update, still happens, but now in stonefalls near hightide hollow(I think that's correct) but I checked and its in SLI, its (as before) not showing any extra stress, and the settings you suggested before are still set at 0.

I am curious because it seems this issue is a GPU related issue, but whatever is is, its not something the GPU's are working on by default. (Maybe its trying to use CPU to render, but even that, the CPU I mean, isn't being worked more than normal.)

I feel as if its the 'floating ash' effect but I would rather NOT 'lower' my settings (Esp since this setup can eat games like GTAV at max ultra settings and has no slowdown, stutter, etc, whatsoever.)

Would it be possible to have a dev look at this area and figure out what the problem is (I think its simple as the effect isn't being properly rendered by the GPU)
  • AureateRN
    AureateRN
    ✭✭✭
    update, still happens, but now in stonefalls near hightide hollow(I think that's correct) but I checked and its in SLI, its (as before) not showing any extra stress, and the settings you suggested before are still set at 0.

I am curious because it seems this issue is a GPU related issue, but whatever is is, its not something the GPU's are working on by default. (Maybe its trying to use CPU to render, but even that, the CPU I mean, isn't being worked more than normal.)

I feel as if its the 'floating ash' effect but I would rather NOT 'lower' my settings (Esp since this setup can eat games like GTAV at max ultra settings and has no slowdown, stutter, etc, whatsoever.)

Would it be possible to have a dev look at this area and figure out what the problem is (I think its simple as the effect isn't being properly rendered by the GPU)

I've noticed a stutter as well and am wondering also if the overall "console" look of the graphics is a ZOS thing or something I can actually control from here.

I expected GREATLY improved graphics now that I am able to set everything at ultra using a SSD and top end graphics card (one is plenty by the way--two makes ZERO difference for this game). I really see no difference between this and my old 600 series card that, though it was "tweaked" was still allegedly just barely good enough to display the game. I honestly think I could have gotten away with just buying the new driver. I see no graphics improvement at all!

"...people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed."
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~

• AureateRN
    AureateRN
    ✭✭✭
    *High to ultra. Sorry.

"...people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed."
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche~