Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

question about feeding horses

Taylor21554
Taylor21554
✭✭
I'm not 100 percent sure but is feeding horses the same as training writing speed or stamina if not how do I feed a horse, thank you

old reliable is dying for some apples and carrots
"help I've fallen,and I can't get up!"
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, "feeding" the horse is the same as training riding speed, stamina, or storage capacity.

It used to be that eat mount had its own stats, but this was changed to a character-wide riding skill. some of the old language players use to talk about it remains the same, though.
  • Taylor21554
    Taylor21554
    ✭✭
    Ok cool so when I log in everyday and pay to upgrade the speed I'm technically feeding him lol
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The change was simply to give ZOS more ways to 'drive' Store sales by providing a way to sell players account-wide mount skins, the leveling mechanic as it exists now is simply facile: you learn riding skills by clicking on an NPC, you fon't actually DO anything.

Just another negative change brought about by F2P.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok cool so when I log in everyday and pay to upgrade the speed I'm technically feeding him lol

Nope.
    Horse don't require feeding anymore and they are all just as good as the other horses.

To explain the difference.
    In the past, when the game launched. You needed to buy a horse from a vendor. It came with a basic amount of speed and stamina and carrying capacity (depending on the price). You then needed to feed your horse to improve that. If you would take a different horse, that horse would have it#s own set of stats, so any progress made with feeding horse one would be gone. Let's use an example
    You buy a white horse with 20 stamina, 20 speed and 20 carrying capacity. You train them to 60 speed, 60 stamina and 40 carrying speed. You then buy a black horse with 30 stamina, 40 speed and 30 carrying capacity. This black horse can also be fed to gain levels. But any progress from the white horse is not transferred.

The new (and current) way is recognising that it is not the horse that determines how good it is, but the rider. So the horses themselfs are now without any stats and you can no longer feed them. They are also account bound skins now. Instead, at the stable you can upgrade your rider skills. By upgrading your rider skills your horse gets quicker, has more stamina or has bigger bags. If you switch horse, those skills (being tied to the rider) are transferred with you. But if you create a new character, you need to retrain the rider skills.
    So back to our example. In the new way, a new player buys a white horse. It will always start out with zero speed, zero stamina and no carrying capactiy. You then train your riderskills so your horse has 60 speed, 60 stamina and 60 carrying capacity. You decide to buy a black horse as well. This one will has the same 60 speed, 60 stamnina and 60 carrying capacity. This cause those are skills the rider has. however, if you create a second character. you can choose between the black and the white horse you unlocked, but both will have no speed, no stamina and no carrying capacity, simply cause those are rider skills and this is a different character (or rider)
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Taylor21554
    Taylor21554
    ✭✭
    so there's no way to give a reliable an apple or carrot or two
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Nope...not anymore. But even before the change, you could only feed Old Reliable for 50 days. Poor horse was going to go hungry eventually. Better he learn about life's hardships sooner rather than later ;)
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    People, please stop referring to this mechanic as its old version. There is no feeding horses anymore. It's confuzzling to keep seeing "feeding horses" for any newer player.

You could (and probably should) edit the title to "Question about Mount Training - ANSWERED".
    Edited by rb2001 on August 27, 2015 5:17PM
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Since the OP was asking how you currently feed horses (answer: you can't anymore), the thread title is appropriate to the question he/she asked. The OP probably shouldn't change the thread title because if a new player had a similar question (i.e. how do I feed my horse?), they would be more likely to find this thread using the search function with it's current title rather than the one you suggested...Oh wait, who am I kidding...Nobody uses the search function, that's why we get so many repeat questions ;)
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    KerinKor wrote: »
    The change was simply to give ZOS more ways to 'drive' Store sales by providing a way to sell players account-wide mount skins, the leveling mechanic as it exists now is simply facile: you learn riding skills by clicking on an NPC, you fon't actually DO anything.

Just another negative change brought about by F2P.

The change was made long before they added these optional upgrade items to the store. Some would say it simplified the system and allowed for mounts to be skins, so you weren't forced into a particular mount because of its benefits.

Has this change benefited them, by being able to sell both skins and upgrades? Yes. However I believe it is disingenuous to imply that the sole reason of this change was a money grab.