Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

For all VR14 Magicka PVP Templars. What's the best champion points to focus on maxing out first?

Eshelmen
Eshelmen
✭✭✭✭✭
I'm a V11 Templar with a Magicka/Full Heavy armor build.

I can take a hit for sure.
But I feel my damage out put is at best, okay.
My three main CP I've been upgrading is
Spell resistance
Magicka recovery
Spell/poison damage

I've been learning a great deal about combos and using certain moves to boost my spell power and or up my next attack.

But I don't seem to hit as hard as I want or of others around my level.
Most of my gear is purple and magicka/health based too.

So I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here are my abilities and numbers.
My crit seems to be pretty low too.

First Sergeant grade 2
PVP Attributes with combat bonus and without food buffs
Max Magicka - 17595
Max Health - 20,544
Max Stamina - 10,132
25k Spell Resistance [30k with immovable]
17k Physical Resistance [22k with immovable]

First Ability Bar - Bow
Spell Damage 1025 - 16% spell crit
Weapon Damage 1263- 21% weapon crit
1. Lethal Arrow
2. Binding Javelin[Stun]
3. Dark Flare
4. Retreating Maneuver
5. Breathe of Life

Ultimate - Practiced Incantation

Second Ability Bar - Sword and Board
1013 Spell Damage - 10% crit
1285 Weapon Damage - 10% crit
1.Immovable
2.Invasion[Love that shield bash!]
3.Vampires Bane [Increases spell crit rating by 1964 when used]
4.Radiant Oppression[+300% when used on wounded players]
5. Puncturing Sweep

Ultimate- Soul Assault

Any help would be pretty awesome.
Thanks.

Edited by Eshelmen on August 27, 2015 12:02PM
PC and PS4 EP only player
  • AudioVortex
    AudioVortex
    ✭✭
    I don't know much, as you can see from my levels below, but it seems your setup is confused as to what it is. Are you a tank? (Heavy armour and lots of resistance) or are you dps? (Lots of magicka buffs and bow on bar).

I think what you need to do here is decide what it's going to be. Then you can decide where to take it. If you want more DPS then keep that bow but change your armour, you'll need more stamina to be able to that however. And maybe swap out S&B for a 2H? As S&B is not really viable for sustained DPS, but fits well with a more tanky character.

That's just my two pennies.
    Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
    Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
    Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
    EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
    EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I understand that. To be honest, as a templar and not being able to evade even close as an NB and Sorc, I chose heavy armor due to the fact that I'm not always in a group AND if I am, most people go to attack me because I can't evade like the two mentioned.

The problem I have with light armor is that I am much to squishy to even take a few hits.
    I just don't see the pros of having maybe 150 more magicka recovery over getting killed by half the hits.
    So with my style of play I suppose that's why I am full heavy.

Even with 5 Heavy 2 light, I feel way squishier than all heavy. And magicka recovery is only boosted by about 10% max.
    I guess I'll go with a tank first and dps second build.

I just figured if I threw enough champion points on damage output, I'll EVENTUALLY hit with some good dps. No?
    But it's taking a while lol.

As for the bow, eh, I could definitely go with out it.

As for the sword and Board, I do block a lot when I'm under heavy fire, and I love shield bash.

But tbh, I use my templar skills probably 85 percent of the time.
    Edited by Eshelmen on August 27, 2015 12:41PM
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're magicka based and using a stamina weapon. That's why your damage is gimped.

It looks like you're a tanky dps, which is great for taking hits, but know that you will never hit as hard as a light armoured, low health, high magicka templar.

Swap bow for destruction staff.

I would also drop all stamina based abilities as they'll do almost no damage as your off-resource. The only exceptions are buffs, like immovable.
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mr_wazzabi wrote: »
    You're magicka based and using a stamina weapon. That's why your damage is gimped.

It looks like you're a tanky dps, which is great for taking hits, but know that you will never hit as hard as a light armoured, low health, high magicka templar.

Swap bow for destruction staff.

I would also drop all stamina based abilities as they'll do almost no damage as your off-resource. The only exceptions are buffs, like immovable.

I got a destro staff swapped in for the bow now. I'll check this out,

As for a light armor build, what do you recommend for evading damage then?

• WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Get rid of immovable and get Absorb magic instead. Go 5 heavy 2 light, switch that around in 1.7. Dual Wield instead of Bow for spell power and all your CPs intoThaumaturge, fire resist, magic recovery/reduction. Block cancel your heals/purifies. Become a Vampire and kill absolutely everything with Puncturing Sweep whilst in Clouding Swarm and then Repentance them like a boss.

You want all attributes into magicka and use purple food.

I had 30 points into the first magic tree for the crit but honestly 75 points into Thaumaturge will do wonders to your Puncturing Sweep.
    PC EU
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doh, I'm a werewolf already, bah!

I'll check out the rest though, thanks.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eshelmen wrote: »
    Doh, I'm a werewolf already, bah!

I'll check out the rest though, thanks.

Maybe you should try full Stamina build and stack weapon power instead if you wanna stay WW.
    PC EU
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bah, I knew I messed up with goin werewolf.

TBH, I just did WW to get that auto 15% stamina regen or whatever it is. I never form into one.

Maybe I should just remake a templar, haha.
    Edited by Eshelmen on August 27, 2015 2:18PM
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just go to Mages Guild and get rid!
    PC EU
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait what?
    I can ger rid of ww??
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wait what?
    I can ger rid of ww??

Yep, just talk to a priest at any Mage's Guild.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Bazeric
    Bazeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have some tips if you are sticking to magicka.

Drop Immovable. (they seriously shart on this skill with the last update, I digress)
    Switch Invasion for Toppling Charge. (I know invasion is fun/a little better, but save stamina for blocking)
    Slot the S&B reflect and LOL at Sorc Frags (and also to have S&B passives)

If you are keeping S&B drop Immovable and replace it with channeled focus. It gives you the same resistance buffs and the stamina you save can be used to block/CC break more. Also having a boost to magicka regen has never hurt a Templar. If you're a decent player you should have good block timing so there's no need to waste stamina on the now crappy immovable.

I love using Invasion (but in PVP the added groud time is pretty moot when they just CC break out of it), but as a magicka build stamina is precious. Switch to Toppling Charge and save your stamina for blocking.
    Looking for broken things in hopes they may be fixed. I've given up, my game literally works differently from yours.
    64M+ AP across 9 toons... kinda makes me a GO
  • wizardpsx
    wizardpsx
    i'll just add that mistform is INFINITY better than immovable.

as a magicka templar myself i can spam it quite a few times in succession, it gives 40% run speed, take almost no dmg, and turns you semi invis where your bar dissapears above your head and you turn into cloud. you can stealth if you get away in mistform so when you run out of mistform you are in stealth (good for getting away)

i consider it the poor mans "Dark cloak" very much needed in pvp.

also having armor is tricky when in pvp. If im not mistake, i think armor penetration is lowered as a % rather than a value.

so if your character has
    20k armor in 5 heavy
    10k armor in 5 light

and someone has 50% penetration.

your 20k armor goes to 10k (a loss of 10k)
    your 10k armor goes to 5k (a loss of 5k)

so having more armor with the way armor pen means you loose more armor too. (i might be mistaken but this is my understanding).

• Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The stats you listed are either while your character is *naked* and without any attribute points...

Or im missing something on how can your stats be so low.

You are trying to use stamina abilities on a *semi* magicka templar with 10k stamina while having terribly low resources and/or spell/weap dmg...? How did you get to VR14?

louiefinalepic.jpg

I suggest you to google/youtube/search this forum for ANY templar build which is for sure going to be better than what you are using.

~ @Niekas ~

• Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »
    The stats you listed are either while your character is *naked* and without any attribute points...

You are trying to use stamina abilities on a *semi* magicka templar with 10k stamina while having terribly low resources and/or spell/weap dmg...? How did you get to VR14?

louiefinalepic.jpg

I suggest you to google/youtube/search this forum for ANY templar build which is for sure going to be better than what you are using.

I suggest you read a little bit more too.
    I said I am VR11, not VR14.

I am calling on VR14 Templars to help me out.

And TBH, I posted this to gain advice or tips, not to be poked at. Please keep it positive or don't post at all.
    This is obviously my first build/character with ESO. So once I learn, then I can teach. Until then, I need to keep learning haha.Please bare with me here.

Thanks
    Edited by Eshelmen on August 28, 2015 12:34AM
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bazeric wrote: »
    I have some tips if you are sticking to magicka.

Drop Immovable. (they seriously shart on this skill with the last update, I digress)
    Switch Invasion for Toppling Charge. (I know invasion is fun/a little better, but save stamina for blocking)
    Slot the S&B reflect and LOL at Sorc Frags (and also to have S&B passives)

If you are keeping S&B drop Immovable and replace it with channeled focus. It gives you the same resistance buffs and the stamina you save can be used to block/CC break more. Also having a boost to magicka regen has never hurt a Templar. If you're a decent player you should have good block timing so there's no need to waste stamina on the now crappy immovable.

I love using Invasion (but in PVP the added groud time is pretty moot when they just CC break out of it), but as a magicka build stamina is precious. Switch to Toppling Charge and save your stamina for blocking.

Thank you for the reply!
    I will work on adding and swapping these out.
    I didn't realize immovable was that bad. I figured since both resistances go up by about 5k each, it did some good.

Thank you for your kind wisdom.
    wizardpsx wrote: »
    i'll just add that mistform is INFINITY better than immovable.

as a magicka templar myself i can spam it quite a few times in succession, it gives 40% run speed, take almost no dmg, and turns you semi invis where your bar dissapears above your head and you turn into cloud. you can stealth if you get away in mistform so when you run out of mistform you are in stealth (good for getting away)

i consider it the poor mans "Dark cloak" very much needed in pvp.

also having armor is tricky when in pvp. If im not mistake, i think armor penetration is lowered as a % rather than a value.

so if your character has
    20k armor in 5 heavy
    10k armor in 5 light

and someone has 50% penetration.

your 20k armor goes to 10k (a loss of 10k)
    your 10k armor goes to 5k (a loss of 5k)

so having more armor with the way armor pen means you loose more armor too. (i might be mistaken but this is my understanding).

Thanks for the heads up.

I really appreciate it.

Also to be honest, immovable has the 5 second perks of not getting stunned, this comes in handy at times.

Another reason I used it, but I will swap it out for mistform, thanks guys

Also for gear specifics, should I focus on just Magiicka sets?
    Edited by Eshelmen on August 28, 2015 12:45AM
  • Mr_Nobody
    Mr_Nobody
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr_Nobody wrote: »

louiefinalepic.jpg

I suggest you read a little bit more too.
    I said I am VR11, not VR14.

I am calling on VR14 Templars to help me out.

And TBH, I posted this to gain advice or tips, not to be poked at. Please keep it positive or don't post at all.
    This is obviously my first build/character with ESO. So once I learn, then I can teach. Until then, I need to keep learning haha.Please bare with me here.

Thanks

You should choose if either you want to deal stamina damage or magicka damage. Then focus on that + additional variables, ex.:

1) Very high spell damage / magicka regen.
    2) High spell damage / magicka regen / stamina regen

and vice versa for stamina ~

If you go 50/50, you are not doing anything and any damage/sustain you deal, especially in the current meta, is denied within seconds.
    Edited by Mr_Nobody on August 28, 2015 2:12PM
    ~ @Niekas ~

• Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd prefer as high magicka spell damage as possible with staying as tanky as possible too.

I swapped out all my stamina abilties for magicka ones and also respec'd attributes to all magicka
  • Bazeric
    Bazeric
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't realize immovable was that bad. I figured since both resistances go up by about 5k each, it did some good.

Also to be honest, immovable has the 5 second perks of not getting stunned, this comes in handy at times.

Well once upon a time, in a bygone era when stats were limited and and 4 digit damage was considered amazing, there was a skill for heavy armor that would provided you with 12 seconds of stun-proof glory (if you were wearing a set of heavy). Alas those days are gone and they have replaced it with an expensive stam drain that hardly does a thing. I find breaking CC and the immunity after to be cheaper and more effective.
    Edited by Bazeric on August 28, 2015 7:37PM
    Looking for broken things in hopes they may be fixed. I've given up, my game literally works differently from yours.
    64M+ AP across 9 toons... kinda makes me a GO