Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Vet looking to get back into ESO.

loya1ty
loya1ty
Soul Shriven
loya1ty wrote: »
Hey all,

My beginnings of ESO date back to the beta/pre-order and first months of rocky release gameplay. I got to experience some time after some crucial patches, but by that time I had lost interest and didn't renew my sub. I LOVE the elder scrolls franchise and even enjoy the online version, despite some common disagreements among the community. Now that the game is free to play (and a few friends found it worth the shot to download) I want to get back into it, and most importantly be good at it :smile: . Previously being one of the first to really get into the game, it was much easier to know more than others and be a monster and adapt to the latest updates.

I'm afraid I am going to hit a wall early due to changes that have occurred, class balancing, quest scaling to level, gear, etc. and just not enjoy it like I know I should. I am looking for tips for an old vet to really enjoy starting again. I don't plan to continue my old chars, but to just start fresh. If you were in a similar situation, I'd appreciate things like what you wish you knew when starting back up again or if you succeeded or failed at syncing back into the world of ESO. Thanks in advance. Note: I plan on reading up on the current state of game play details, but I value other players' opinions to a higher level than documentation.

I posted this in the guides category, but realized this may be better suited here. Thanks!
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I found it helped me to enjoy the things that make this MMO unique, instead of trying to powergame through it like other MMO's.

End game PvE and competitive PvP are sort of the bread and butter of modern day MMO's and many do both much better than ESO. Everything pre-level cap is often just fluff in other MMO's. ESO shines in that pre-level cap.

Storyline - Better than any other MMO I've played, Secret World maybe a close second but the story there is very disjointed.

Voice Acting - Never played an MMO with such full voice acting.

Tradeskills - They actually flow well with PvE, making it rather easy to be fully self sufficient. Other MMO's, crafting is a chore and takes time away from PvE. The whole deconstruct system ties the two together pretty well.

Theorycrafting - The many skill tree variations and removal of soft caps makes this pretty interesting.

So for me, having powergamed through ESO at PC release and got burnt out quickly. I took a completely different approach when I started playing on PS4 and started following storylines through, trying to complete each area 100% before moving on which often meant trying to complete quests with the least amount of killing as possible to prevent out-leveling content, which became a mini-game of itself.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar