Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

New Player Here - A Few Questions

Sunburnt_Penguin
Sunburnt_Penguin
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi guys, I'm new here so if I've made any faux-pas then let me know and I'll edit.

I bought the Imperial Edition last night and I have a few questions following my ~5 hours gameplay:

1. I have my Imperial horse in my collections but I can't seem to 'equip' it?
I read that it previously cost 1 gold coin and that has recently changed but I can't find any concrete info on how to obtain it after this change. Do I need to buy a standard horse and then I can change it to an Imperial? I would've done this already but I have limited coins.

2. I opted for a Nightblade Wood Elf focusing on bows. Is this viable in end-game content? Or would I be better suited to select a different race with better perks who uses a bow as a back up?

3. At level 8 with limited coins, what is the best way to obtain medium armour?

4. How do I differentiate between the actual story missions and side quests? They all look the same to me.

Thanks - any additional help/advice is much appreciated also.

Best Answers

• Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    1. You just go into the menu options, collections, mounts and you can set your horse from there. I am not sure if the imperial horse is different as I buought my horses.

2. There are quite a few builds that use Bows and all end game/pvp doable. I am doing a Nightblade wood elf with bows and dual wield daggers. I started with dual wield until level 15 then brought in the bow (due to the automatic 15% training).

3. Craft it yourself - that is what I do. Never buy armor. you will always find better armor than what you can buy or craft yourself

4. the sections the quests are located in. The main story is the harborage quests. The Guild quests are where the mage/fighters guild quest lines are.

Tip - pick up the mage/fighters guild quest lines and put 1 point into Intimidate and Persuasion. they are immensely helpful in the long run.
    Edited by Pyro117 on August 25, 2015 2:52PM
    Answer ✓
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    Regarding 1: I'm on PS4 and there's a tick next to my horse but I've tried to summon it by holding down on my D-pad but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Thank you for your other advice.

I would talk with customer support about this. It sounds like the game kinda thinks you have a horse...

The only other possibilities - You can't mount a horse in certain areas (buildings, caves, etc...) just open world areas or you were recently in combat and the game still thinks you are in game. In either case there will be a message in the upper right of the screen telling you why you can't mount the horse. If you aren't getting any messages, then definitely submit a support ticket.
    Answer ✓
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No worries mate, my questions are answered so go ahead.

The only thing I can comment on which others haven't yet answered is that a friend of mine suggested learning a close-quarters weapon when I reach level 15. He said that in PvP, some players have a way of quickly reducing the distance between them and a archer so it gives you a quick alternative to switch to if that happens. However in PvE he said that it's fine to main a bow.

Other info he gave me which has been very useful when starting (no idea of your level or experience so some of this may be known to you):
    1. Steal as much gear as possible from vendors when they're not looking and deconstruct them at the workstations as it helps level up crafting.
    1.2. Make sure you don't deconstruct any green gear as these have bonuses attached to them which can be used for researching for crafting if you don't want them
    2. Take all quests that you can find as you go along as this saves time in going back & forth and also helps you build up skill points faster from completing them quicker.
    3. Buy a bag (400 gold) to increase your inventory by 10 and pick up everything that you find.
    4. Search (or Google) for skyshards as 3 of these equal 1 skill point
    5. Apply skill points to the 3 areas initially as this starts gaining of experience in them

I'm also on PS4 in the Ebonheart faction, currently at level 8 so if you want to team up then let me know

All of these are really good tips. Would just like to add that when it comes to researching, even white weapons/armor can have traits. It is not color-specific. So always check your items under the "reasearch" tab at crafting stations before deconstructing them.
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
    Answer ✓
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if you're on console or PC, but...

1. In your collections is mounts, click the Imperial Horse then use use the button to call the horse.

2. The bonus XP for a weapon isn't that important to decide between races, because you'll be level 50 in that weapon before you know it and then that bonus is meaningless. That said, Wood Elf isn't a bad choice at all and in the upcoming Imperial City patch they will be getting a boost to their +stamina racial passive.

3. You'll be fine just using what you get from leveling, through quests or drops. If crafting interests you then being a self sufficient crafter and making your own armor will carry you all the way to end game.

4. Not sure which you're talking about, there is the main storyline quest which always involves going to the harborage. Then there are the main quests for each area of an alliance, which these are the ones that award skill points. Not sure if there's a way to distinguish them before you reach Cadwell's Silver/Gold (after beating one alliance). After you reach these, it will list these quests out as objectives to complete Cadwell's Silver/Gold.
    Edited by mklundub17_ESO on August 25, 2015 2:57PM
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding 1: I'm on PS4 and there's a tick next to my horse but I've tried to summon it by holding down on my D-pad but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Thank you for your other advice.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

4. How do I differentiate between the actual story missions and side quests? They all look the same to me.

Thanks - any additional help/advice is much appreciated also.

OK, there is the Main Story that centers around the people you talk to in the Harborage. An old guy will approach you as you come into a large city and ask you to go to the harborage. I think you need to be L4/5 to get that, but I have seen that quest start as late as L6. These quests give Skill Points and level your Soul Skill (the only thing that levels your Soul Skill) The first couple are easy, but all of them do scale to your character.

Then there are the Zone Quests, a series of complex quests that have you go all over the zone to fight some evil or invaders or something for that zone. These give Skill Points and you have 4 to 5 of them per zone.

Then there are the side quests that you get as you travel around the map.

Note, there are some areas called Quest Hubs where you will see a few quest givers. Talk to all of them as they tend to give you addons to the other quests you are doing in the area. This way you avoid a lot of back tracking as these quest hubs tend to send you to the same area.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• JPJINX
    JPJINX
    My main is a wood elf nightblade, bow and dual wield, medium armour. She is formidable. A great build, just make sure you are sneaky. Have fun!
  • snowbeard62
    To summon your mount you press and hold the touch pad not the d pad.
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To summon your mount you press and hold the touch pad not the d pad.

Yep, I finally found this out last night. Thank you though!
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Pyro117: thanks but I finally found out how to summon it last night!

Also, is the only way to reply to someone one here is to quote them?
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't have to quote them, you can just type a reply in in the leave a reply box at the bottom of a screen.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah okay, I thought that was a reply to the OP. Thanks.
  • kamale
    kamale
    Soul Shriven
    Sorry to hijack, saw your thread was about to open a similar one but decided might as well join in LOL
    PS4 player here btw.

1. I bought "The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited" was this a mistake? Cause I heard if you bought the imperial one, which was cheaper for some reason you'll get more stuff? The one I bought cost like 80 bucks and the imperial one was only 50 something........ So weird

2. I like being ranged, for some reason i dislike being melee cause I kinda suck at moving around with the gamepad when stuff gets in my face LOL So i'm wondering when I hit 10, I heard you get a 2nd weapon, what should it be? A healing staff?

3. Saw some bundles on the crown store, which would be awesome to get?

4. ESO is so awesome its got me confused haha with class builds and stuff is there a site that has in depth write ups on things?
  • NovaMarx
    NovaMarx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kamale wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack, saw your thread was about to open a similar one but decided might as well join in LOL
    PS4 player here btw.

1. I bought "The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited" was this a mistake? Cause I heard if you bought the imperial one, which was cheaper for some reason you'll get more stuff? The one I bought cost like 80 bucks and the imperial one was only 50 something........ So weird

2. I like being ranged, for some reason i dislike being melee cause I kinda suck at moving around with the gamepad when stuff gets in my face LOL So i'm wondering when I hit 10, I heard you get a 2nd weapon, what should it be? A healing staff?

3. Saw some bundles on the crown store, which would be awesome to get?

4. ESO is so awesome its got me confused haha with class builds and stuff is there a site that has in depth write ups on things?

1) It definitely sounds weird that the Imperial Edition cost less. There are some bonuses to getting the Imperial Edition. You get an Imperial horse, a vanity pet, you're able to play as an Imperial, and you can play as any race in any alliance. However, I'm pretty sure these options are purchasable as an upgrade to your existing game. Either buy it through your account or in the Crown Store (think I've seen something in there).

2) You can weapon swap at level 15. The type of weapon you choose depends on how you want to play.

3) Again, depends on what you want. Some of the bundles aren't all that amazing, price-wise, unless you intend to use all the items.

4) Google :tongue: There are several sites that have to do with ESO. So it depends on what you're looking for :wink:
    "Feet are for walking. Hands are for hitting. Or shaking. Or waving. Sometimes for clapping."
    - M'aiq the Liar
  • snowbeard62
    Imperial edition is better because it gives you an extra race, a free horse and the any faction any race perk.
    You get access to a 2nd weapon at 15. Go with what makes you happy tbh.
    I personally like some of the costumes.
  • kamale
    kamale
    Soul Shriven
    I bought this
    https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited/cid=UP1003-CUSA00132_00-ASIA000000000000

And then I saw this which everyone was talking about
    https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-sg/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-tamriel-unlimited-imperial-edition/cid=UP1003-CUSA00132_00-ASIA000000000006

So weird its actually cheaper, was under the impression the more expensive it is the more stuff it had...... Damn
  • Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The only thing I can comment on which others haven't yet answered is that a friend of mine suggested learning a close-quarters weapon when I reach level 15. He said that in PvP, some players have a way of quickly reducing the distance between them and a archer so it gives you a quick alternative to switch to if that happens. However in PvE he said that it's fine to main a bow.

Other info he gave me which has been very useful when starting (no idea of your level or experience so some of this may be known to you):
    1. Steal as much gear as possible from vendors when they're not looking and deconstruct them at the workstations as it helps level up crafting.
    1.2. Make sure you don't deconstruct any green gear as these have bonuses attached to them which can be used for researching for crafting if you don't want them
    2. Take all quests that you can find as you go along as this saves time in going back & forth and also helps you build up skill points faster from completing them quicker.
    3. Buy a bag (400 gold) to increase your inventory by 10 and pick up everything that you find.
    5. Apply skill points to the 3 areas initially as this starts gaining of experience in them

I'm also on PS4 in the Ebonheart faction, currently at level 8 so if you want to team up then let me know
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭

Please don't forget to get the Mage/Fighters guild quest lines (just go to each location in the first town you are in and accept their invite to join the group). This opens up new skill lines and the Intimidate/Persuasion perk. Those Perks can save you money and time in a lot of the quests. Also, you will want to get the Undaunted skill line as well - located in the local tavern.
  • gamsir
    gamsir
    ✭✭
    Welcome to the game!

2. enjoy your wood elf and stop worrying about basically insubstansiel min-max'ing. At endgame, you'll have so many passive and active skills, champion points and what not, racials are not really important to make a viable difference, compared to your choice of character type. Basically any race can do any role at least effectively. Unless you want to be extremely competetive in pvp as a tank or sorceres, you'll do more than fine with your choice. As an archer type NB, you're perfectly set up!
    3. As others have stated above. Steal or collect as much gear as possible, sell only the most expensive pieces for gold if you must. But deconstruct basically everything and craft your own gear. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but any IE lvl 4 gear you craft, will be a lvl or two better than any lvl 4 gear that you get from RNG or rewards, in regards to armor values etc.
    4. Any main quests comes from the prophet.
    alliance 'main quests' comes naturally from following the boat captains advice on going to the starter island (do that btw!). Or will launch itself automaticly by doing the side quests in the first main city.
  • Sixsixsix161
    Sixsixsix161
    ✭✭✭
    There are 2 or 3 websites that provide add-ons to the game.

I really recommend the add-on that shows on your map where all the skyshards are. Getting those should be one of your main interests, because when you collect the shards, the game tracks how many you have collected so far. Every time you find the third one, it converts those 3 into a skill point. You're going to need these because not only do you need skill points for your main trees/abilities, but there are also a lot of passive abilities that boost various things you use and/or do while fighting.

Without these additional skill points, you may have to wait before getting abilities that you could use early in the game.

Another add-on I run is the one that shows you where the books are -- and there are a lot of them throughout the game -- on your map. Each book you find/read increases your standing with the mage guild. Note: this maybe the same add-on that shows all your quests. Sorry, can't remember exactly.

And last, I run an add-on that shows where are all the quests are in each area.

Good luck.