Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Playing sorc but don't understand crit hit

Violynne
Violynne
✭✭✭✭✭
Tried looking online and it was a bust. Just kept getting standard definition.

I primarily use inferno staff, but how does one get a crit hit?

Also, "heavy damage": is it just me or does it truly have a shorter "cast time" as compared to the bow? I usually launch my attack when my tip has a ball of flame. Just want to make sure I'm not casting it too early.

Thanks for your help. :)
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what you mean by how to get a crit hit. Just keep attacking and casting spells and you'll get a crit eventually. Light and heavy attacks and sorc skills and destruction staff skills can all crit and the crit chance depends on your spell critical.

Is your second questions related to getting a heavy attack? If so, for the inferno staff you get two fireballs instead of one. If you get one it is just a light attack.
    Reference for any calculation I make Introduction to PvE Damage Calculation
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asayre wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by how to get a crit hit. Just keep attacking and casting spells and you'll get a crit eventually. Light and heavy attacks and sorc skills and destruction staff skills can all crit and the crit chance depends on your spell critical.
    So it's random? As an NB, I knew how to generate crit hits, but I didn't know if it was the same for sorcerers.
    Is your second questions related to getting a heavy attack? If so, for the inferno staff you get two fireballs instead of one. If you get one it is just a light attack.
    That's what I thought. I'm releasing too soon as I only get one. I never noticed two coming out, so I'll have to work on timing this.

Thanks. :)
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Asayre wrote: »
    So it's random? As an NB, I knew how to generate crit hits, but I didn't know if it was the same for sorcerers.
    That's what I thought. I'm releasing too soon as I only get one. I never noticed two coming out, so I'll have to work on timing this.

Thanks. :)

An actually heavy attack using destruction staff (inferno one for you) is holding down the attack button until it fires itself, what your describing is a medium attack which is were you hold the attack button just long enough until you shoot the two fireballs but you don't charge it all the way.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...