Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Odd random reacurring events?

Umad_BrO
Umad_BrO
✭✭✭
I know I am posting a lot of questions, and I am sorry.
I am not trying to brag, but I played Skyrim for so long that there is really....really...nothing I do not know about the game, so when things like this happen in ESO I am naturally curious.

I have come across this event many times and am wondering what the dealio is with them....

Two people, mostly a man and what appears to be his mate are arguing around a campfire that has gone out, as soon as I light the fire back up they stop arguing and in a rather creepy way both look at me and say Thank You at the same time and stop arguing even though the fire had nothing to do with what they were arguing about.....
Is there a purpose to these events?
Edited by Umad_BrO on August 21, 2015 12:41PM
What's the matter? Did somebody steal your sweet roll?
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    I have done this many times and it does appear that there is no reason for it what so ever, other than being a good natured player. I only went over to them to see if I could nick the wood to use in crafting lol. I think its the same as when an NPC beggar asks for gold you give it to them and nothing else happens.

Ask as many questions as you like :)

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is an achievement tied to those events. This one is something like "bringing the light" or some such name. There is another one, that refers to extorting money from a vendor, but not the normal vendors roaming the roads, special ones that you can intimidate to get money from - not much, just a pittance really.

The third achievement in this regard is fining and talking to M'aiq on each and every map.

The events are very random and quite rare. Do them each time if you are keen on fulfilling those achievements.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The achievement tied to this that @Leandor is talking about is the Lightbringer achievement. You have to do it in each non-starter island PVE zone in the game (with the exception of Craglorn - maybe not Coldharbour either, I don't remember) in order to get the achievement. You also get a temporary boost to your stamina stat after lighting the fire for them.

The Crime Pays achievement is similar, but requires you to intimidate a roadside merchant (only certain ones: you can tell because they'll be standing beside the road with a horse beside them) to give you money - they will actually put their pack on the ground and you have to loot it for it to count towards the achievement.

There's also a Give to the Poor achievement where you have to give gold to a road-side beggar in each zone to get the achievement. Again, these are certain specific beggars, and not just ones that you see in towns. You can tell they're the right type because they'll initially have their backs to you while rooting around in an apparently empty bag on the ground, and then they'll turn around to plead for gold from you.

All 3 of these achievements have certain specific spots in each zone where they may (rarely) spawn, and they seem to share the same spawn points.

M'aiq is also tied to an achievement if you talk to him in each zone, and he also has certain specific places where he spawns, but they are different places than the spawn points for the other 3 achievements above. Also, his spawn isn't rare - he'll always be spawned at one spot in a zone, but there are several different potential spots per zone, and he'll only be at one of them. He also appears in the starter zones (for DC and EP, which each have 2 starter zones, he only appears in the second starter zone), and he's definitely in Coldharbour too.

There are other random events that can occur (rescuing a tied up person who bandits are using for bait, interrupting a duel between wizards, saving a conjurer who conjures a daedra too strong for him to control, saving a merchant and guard from a bandit attack, etc), but those aren't tied to any achievements, and just provide you with a fight and a little bonus XP on top of the regular XP for killing the mobs.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umad_BrO wrote: »
    I know I am posting a lot of questions, and I am sorry.
    I am not trying to brag, but I played Skyrim for so long that there is really....really...nothing I do not know about the game, so when things like this happen in ESO I am naturally curious.

I have come across this event many times and am wondering what the dealio is with them....

Two people, mostly a man and what appears to be his mate are arguing around a campfire that has gone out, as soon as I light the fire back up they stop arguing and in a rather creepy way both look at me and say Thank You at the same time and stop arguing even though the fire had nothing to do with what they were arguing about.....
    Is there a purpose to these events?

As well as what others say you can sometimes sit at the fire, and they will tell you a storey
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Also, his spawn isn't rare - he'll always be spawned at one spot in a zone, but there are several different potential spots per zone, and he'll only be at one of them.

I have chased Maiq in a couple of zones to complete this achievement and I can say that there are times when he is not spawned anywhere on the map. For example, one night in Alikir, I went to every spawn point 3 times in rapid succession and he was not there. Note, I use the Destinations Addon that shows me his spawn point so it is possible he has one that the add on does not know about. However I have noticed this in other zones too.

What is ironic is after I get the achievement (I have all 4 of these on two of my characters) I trip over him almost everytime I go to a zone.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    great info
    Thanks for the beggar info. I couldn't figure this one out. I gave to two beggars so far, but now that I know what to look for, I should be able to complete the quest.

After an extensive backtracking, of course. :expressionless:

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Also, his spawn isn't rare - he'll always be spawned at one spot in a zone, but there are several different potential spots per zone, and he'll only be at one of them.

I have chased Maiq in a couple of zones to complete this achievement and I can say that there are times when he is not spawned anywhere on the map. For example, one night in Alikir, I went to every spawn point 3 times in rapid succession and he was not there. Note, I use the Destinations Addon that shows me his spawn point so it is possible he has one that the add on does not know about. However I have noticed this in other zones too.

What is ironic is after I get the achievement (I have all 4 of these on two of my characters) I trip over him almost everytime I go to a zone.
    Huh, weird. Every time I've looked for him (using the same addon) I've always found him. Not always at the first spawn point that I go to, but he's always been at one of them without me ever having to relog or wait until later.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)