Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Trouble with Crypt of hearts final boss

Lordklinger
I'm sure this is going to make me sound like a noob, but o well. My group has completed all of the Veteran dungeons except for crypt of hearts. We always fly through the entire dungeon and come to a screeching halt on the end boss. Between focusing on dodging all the mechanics and dealing with the wraiths we struggle to get the needed dps to burn the boss down, which results in all of us slowing dying. What's even more frustrating, is I have watched tons of videos that make it look so easy. Does anyone know of a good strategy to deal with this boss?
  • Scyantific
    Scyantific
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't try for hard mode on your first run?

Everyone needs some form of DPS for the second phase of the fight (once he grabs the blade); You need to break that shield before your guy dies (even more so if that guy happens to be a DPS).
    If not going for Hard mode you need to prioritize the adds before they overwhelm you guys.
    DODGE THE BIG UGLY SKULL. It hits like a truck and knocks you down.

Here, have a tank POV video (mine)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlZqkINxrWc[/video]
  • srs121
    srs121
    ✭✭
    Ok, I am going to run through the final boss fight, basic mechanics, and overall group objectives in this fight. Please take this as a tool to improve yourself and your group and by no means is this to insult you as a player.

Basic Boss mechanics.

1. Shoots small projectiles (skulls) at players from his staff. (Typically does not do a lot of damage, combined with other mechanics this can be fatal if you are already injuried. Roll dodge or block to avoid damage)
    2. Spawns AOE circles underneath All players, these are the circles which spawn the chain out of the middle then explode. (this move can prove to be fatal, it is better to roll out of these as soon as they spawn.)
    3. Shoots a larger projectile (large skull) at one player. (This move is very strong if you are caught off guard, he tends to put his arms towards his side as if he is charging, this move MUST be dodged, or can be blocked for reduced damage. I recommend communicating anytime you see him charging to make other players awAre)
    4. He will teleport around the room, and drop an AOE that starts from his new location and spreads outwards (runs, or roll out of the area ASAP. I have noticed during this fight when he does this teleport he can end up behind you or another player leaving them unaware of this attack, communication can be very important)
    5. Summons 2 Students (which turn to wraiths)

At 40% Health (he will pull the sword out of the middle and wield it)

1. He does random charges at players and slashes with his sword (roll dodge)
    2. All players become Crowd controlled, and fall to the ground. He then chooses one player and lifts them up into the air. Player lifted in the air must activate the Necrosis synergy (it will appear on their screen, ps4 users it will be triangle and circle) All players must then target him and unload all the DPS you can on him to remove the shield from his health. If you do not the lifted player will instantly die.

Overall Gameplay.

Hit the boss with as much dps and possible, Try to stay spread out so you can easily dodge the chain AOEs when they spawn, and don't enter someone else's. If burning the Wraiths are an issue, have the tank pick them up, and have one dps kill wraiths while other remains on boss or have tank keep wraiths near boss and aoe/single target group. Healer floats where needed and helps with DPS.

If you are going for gold key you have to let 4 wraiths survive til he picks sword up, depending on your overall dps you will have to burn a wave or 2 until his health is close to the 40% mark. When his health is close, allow him to spawn required wraiths, have tank grab agro and keep them away from boss. Once you get 4 burn the boss. Once he enters the 2nd phase burn wraiths, then boss. Tank needs to keep the wraiths off the dps since they will do extra damage and slow the dps movement making them extremely vulnerable.

Hope this helps man. Any questions or need me to go into depth a bit more let me know. Good luck!

Interested in joining a PvE focused clan? Feel free to contact me.

Alliance : Aldmeri Dominion
    Platform : Playstation 4
    PSN : srs121
    Server : North American
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeh, some good advice here. Even if you don't have huge dps when he grabs someone, as long as it's not the tank or someone who can survive with aggro on (with shields etc) then one guy can pick him up while one aggro and the other burns him down.

Obviously, try to avoid that. What was killing you all? Projectiles, one hits, wraith, the blade action?

Sometimes on these dungeons, if you don't have the dps, you won't do it. No matter how hard you try. You just need to work on your characters or substitute someone for a higher dps.

Are you playing with a tank, healer and 2 good dps?

And by dps I mean people who are out and out dps. Most who can "do a bit of everything" are no good. Jack of all trades, master of none etc.

• Lordklinger
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Yeh, some good advice here. Even if you don't have huge dps when he grabs someone, as long as it's not the tank or someone who can survive with aggro on (with shields etc) then one guy can pick him up while one aggro and the other burns him down.

Obviously, try to avoid that. What was killing you all? Projectiles, one hits, wraith, the blade action?

Sometimes on these dungeons, if you don't have the dps, you won't do it. No matter how hard you try. You just need to work on your characters or substitute someone for a higher dps.

Are you playing with a tank, healer and 2 good dps?

And by dps I mean people who are out and out dps. Most who can "do a bit of everything" are no good. Jack of all trades, master of none etc.
    Thanks for all the replies, guys. Currently we have 2 dps, a healer, and a tank. I am one of the DPS. I am running a 2H stamina build with a weapon damage of 2,500 and Max stamina of 26k. The other DPS is a sorcerer and I believe her spell damage is around 2k.

This is the first Vet dungeon that has seemed incredibly difficult. We do a good job of avoiding the main aoe and reacting to the heavy skull attack. Most of my health loss is when he is shooting the other skulls and the chains. If I try to block I sometimes will get snagged for a second. Then once the wraiths spawn I get distracted by them and I'm not dealing with the boss. I guess our biggest problem is we all get spread out and then everything goes to ****. It seems like we will just need to keep playing until we can figure it out, assuming we are strong enough to do so. Is this considered one of the more difficult vet dungeons, or does this one just have our number?
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this considered one of the more difficult vet dungeons, or does this one just have our number?

I had the misfortune of having Crypt of Hearts be my first gold key Pledge, and while I haven't done all the others yet I will say it's one of the harder ones that I've done. Just keep at it; my group must have died at least a dozen times on the last boss before we put him down.

#proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

How to turn off the sustainability features (screen dimming, fps cap) on PC