The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Aug 19th Patch ... why is it 16gb? [EDITED - Fixed!]

Beegie_B
Beegie_B
Okay, before anyone gets on me and says "but it's only 250 mb"... mine isn't.

I started up the application and got the patch notification.

It did the whole preparing to download thing, and I also expected it to be like previous patches where the addition size it added to the 16.whatever GB of the original game.

Now... I'm 1.3/16gb finished downloading, with 7 hours left.

WTF?

EDIT:

So, it turns out the reason this happened was because I had ESO running when my PS4 went into standby mode. This for, whatever reason, forced me to redownload an entire 16GB update file.

To fix the issue: REBOOT YOUR PS4

When you boot up again, you'll only need to download the 250mb patch.
Edited by Beegie_B on August 19, 2015 11:17PM
  • Cr4p0w3
    Cr4p0w3
    ✭✭
    I'm waiting here. It says downloading update file but don't say the size.

20 minutes already and the bar didn't move!

Is it normal?
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not 16gb, it's accumulative. It says 16gb yeah but it isn't, it's just adding onto the Imperial one we downloaded ages ago which took LONG (the 15 GB one) so it only takes about 20 min
    Edited by Molag_Crow on August 19, 2015 10:28PM
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its not 16G download though .. it appears that way because the incremental patch file size is that ... what the "preparing for download" does is check that the existing patch file is correct, then it adds to it - this patch is only about 250 MB

The check will require time as no doubt it compares with the master file on the server
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Secret nerfes and hotfixes
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • Beegie_B
    Beegie_B
    It's not 16gb, it's accumulative. It says 16gb yeah but it isn't, it's just adding onto the Imperial one we downloaded ages ago which took LONG (the 15 GB one) so it only takes about 20 min

No. I'm telling you, my game is downloading an entire 16 gb.

I'm currently at 2.3 GB with ~5hours left for the download.

I wouldn't have made this post if it was an incremental patch.
  • Beegie_B
    Beegie_B
    OzJohnD wrote: »
    Its not 16G download though .. it appears that way because the incremental patch file size is that ... what the "preparing for download" does is check that the existing patch file is correct, then it adds to it - this patch is only about 250 MB

The check will require time as no doubt it compares with the master file on the server

Nope... I'm currently ~2.3GB / 16 with 5 hours left to download.
    Edited by Beegie_B on August 19, 2015 10:35PM
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It downloads what it thinks it needs. For most people, it only needs the last 250MB of all the patches since release. If, for any reason, the system thinks the whole 16GB needs to be downloaded, it will download it. This means that while most people are downloading 250MB, some people might have to download 16GB.

As to why... a variety of answers come to mind. Some of them could get unwanted moderator attention if I say them here.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • StormPoet
    StormPoet
    Beegie_B wrote: »

Then it appears you have been found to have errors in your files and its decided to remedy that for you. Honestly while I really don't know for sure if this is the case or what... it is a possibility. Sorry but it does happen. Only other thing that might help in the future is that you can always keep your ps4 in standby so it will patch itself when you are not actively playing it. Good luck either way.
    Edited by StormPoet on August 19, 2015 10:46PM
  • Beegie_B
    Beegie_B
    StormPoet wrote: »

Then it appears you have been found to have errors in your files and its decided to remedy that for you. Honestly while I really don't know for sure if this is the case or what... it is a possibility. Sorry but it does happen. Only other thing that might help in the future is that you can always keep your ps4 in standby so it will patch itself when you are not actively playing it. Good luck either way.

I'm always in standby though.

The weird thing with this patch, it didn't download automatically. I had to start the application, then it booted me saying I needed to update, and now I'm downloading an entire 16gb.
  • StormPoet
    StormPoet
    I'm always in standby though.

The weird thing with this patch, it didn't download automatically. I had to start the application, then it booted me saying I needed to update, and now I'm downloading an entire 16gb.

That is kind of weird. I actually restart my ps4 before I start playing a game or if I switch games. I prefer it to have a clean start and if there are any patches then it will queue them when it comes back up. I have had errors happen when coming out of standby and going right into a game and it says it needs an update. Had to delete and reinstall the whole game as a result... I think it was Dragon Age: Inquisition or Grand Theft Auto V. Restarting the system can clear cache or any bottlenecks that may have occurred which can cause a number of different download errors.
  • Beegie_B
    Beegie_B

That is kind of weird. I actually restart my ps4 before I start playing a game or if I switch games. I prefer it to have a clean start and if there are any patches then it will queue them when it comes back up. I have had errors happen when coming out of standby and going right into a game and it says it needs an update. Had to delete and reinstall the whole game as a result... I think it was Dragon Age: Inquisition or Grand Theft Auto V. Restarting the system can clear cache or any bottlenecks that may have occurred which can cause a number of different download errors.

!!!

Thank you!

Your response indirectly gave me a hint at how to resolve the problem.

After I read what you said, I thought that maybe it was an issue because I had put the PS4 into standby when ESO was still running.

I just rebooted my console (as the download was happening).

When it rebooted, the download changed from ~3/16gb to a very, very long 'preparing to download' that lasted about 10 minutes. After that preparing phase, it downloaded a 250mb patch.

I'm going to edit the original post in case this happens to anyone else.
  • StormPoet
    StormPoet

!!!

Thank you!

Your response indirectly gave me a hint at how to resolve the problem.

After I read what you said, I thought that maybe it was an issue because I had put the PS4 into standby when ESO was still running.

I just rebooted my console (as the download was happening).

When it rebooted, the download changed from ~3/16gb to a very, very long 'preparing to download' that lasted about 10 minutes. After that preparing phase, it downloaded a 250mb patch.

I'm going to edit the original post in case this happens to anyone else.

LOL!!! Well I am glad you figured it out. And that is actually part of the reason I don't use standby that much. Only if I am expecting a game I wanna play to have a big patch and I wanna be able to play when I turn it on. I still restart it once its patched just to make sure it cleans up any temp files from the update.