The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Help with Stamina Sorc and magika NB

Shadrir
Shadrir
I play Redguard and I want to be able to solo efficiently with melee weapons but support group from range. I primarily like to attack from range and use melee when things gets close as I solo. I am level 11 bow sorc and 10 NB s/b. I've soled fine with bow on sorc but decided I don't like bows.
Questions: To play a primarily ranged character that uses melee weapons should I go magika sorc with melee weapons or stamina focusing on overload? Or, should I focus on magika nb with dw or sb for solo and resto staff for group>

Background: I want to play a mix of magic and melee solo but support the group with cc, debuffs, spot heals, and dps. not full time heal. I am trying to make a character that can do that. I like s/b. My problem on sorc is lack of ranged attack as stamina sorc without a bow. I am not keen on the 2 hander whcih would solve the problem. What I have been doing is using sorc spells to pull/knock down and fighters guild bow attack as range until they come within melee range or until overload is up. I LOVE OVERLOAD!!! With this build I'm really a ranged character carrying s/b for dps and defense using ranged attacks(sorc, bow, overload) Since Overload's dps is off my weapons I gain dps by using melee weapons. I also get an extra bar that I use for my buffs. It works well until I run out of Overload in a fight. This set up is my prefered option. How can I make this work? S/B line has attack that adds ultimate. Is there anything else that can let me have Overload constantly up? (It almost is anyway at a cost of 75) I can see this working as stamina or magika however I would lose the dmg of the fighter's guild bow skill with magika(the bow knowkdown is my third favorite skill after the velocious curse of sorc which hits hard even as stamina right now). As magika I would have the option of a resto staff for spot heals at range when I group so that makes magika appealing but as stamina I could focus my bars on all damage.

Suggestions?
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For this purpose, Nightblade is better. Since you don't like bows, you must play Magicka Nightblades.

Magicka Nightblades are strong at range and even stronger in melee range and you can easily switch between both.
    A Sorcerer Hybrid is not efficient. Yes, you could use Overload at range as it scales with your highest stat and then you could go melee to restore Ultimate and so on. But you highly rely on Overload energy to do so and it would require you to use nothing but Overload, because you must safe up all your Ultimate.

I say, go with Nightblade. Way better passive abilities and much better class abilities for this purpose. Also, as a Magicka Nightblade, you can have strong restoration staff heals to fullfill your support role. Stamina Sorcerer does not have this benefit.
    Edited by Dracane on August 19, 2015 5:51PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options