Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Group dungeons beginner

Cosmic_Tension
Cosmic_Tension
Soul Shriven
Hi,

I'm level 20, playing on ps4 (EU server). Since I'm new to MMO's I've been playing only solo so far, but would like to try out group dungeons. The whole idea of a build/role when playing in groups is completely new to me, but I have read up on the basics.

1. Do I need to have a specific role/build when playing in the lower level group dungeons?
2. If so, how do I know which role would suit me? So far I have just leveled attributes that suit me as I've been playing solo, and not with a particular build in mind.
3. Is a mic necessary for console? I'm going to guess it is, especially as I'm new and might not know my role properly or what I'm needed to do in the group.

Thanks! Any other advice would be appreciated :)
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    1. I would say that even at lower levels you are going to want to assign a specific role to each group member when starting a dungeon. Otherwise things would be very chaotic. Low level dungeons are not as difficult as the Veteran versions, and I would say roles are a bit more flexible. I don't mean that you can ignore roles, but group members may not have unlocked enough skills for everyone to stick solely to their role (i.e., everyone will probably want to bring a self-heal if possible, tanks might not have unlocked a huge amount of crowd control abilities, etc.). However, in general, you still will want a heal who is responsible for keeping folks alive, a tank who going to keep aggro and take/evade the brunt of the damage from bosses, and 2 dps who will be responsible for killing stuff quick lol

2. You probably don't know what role will suit you best until you give them a try. Any class can do any role in eso, it just depends on build. Typically, tanks and healers are considered the more difficult roles to play. That isn't to say DPS is easy, especially at high levels, maximizing damage output can be quite challenging. However, DPS (especially at low levels) do not usually take quite as much crap when a group wipes, so it can be a nice way to get your feet wet without getting screamed at for letting people die.

3. Because you have no text chat on console, I would say that a mic is probably going to be a requirement for most dungeons to be successful.
    Edited by Allyhoo811 on August 17, 2015 4:53AM
  • NinjaMyk
    NinjaMyk
    ✭✭✭
    A mic would be essential for dungeons due to no txt chat. And if you would like a practical intro to a dungeon add me on psn (NinjaMyk) and I will pull a group together to run through some dungeons with you. And to pick a role it should be something you enjoy doing. Do you like being the guy who no one can kill and shielding your squishy friends from danger if so play tank. Do you like being there to save the day and frustrating enemies by completely negating their damage with a Few well timed heals? Healer is for you. Or do you get the most enjoyment from reducing the things trying to kill your friends to a smoking pile of ash? in that case your a damage dealer. I'm happy to run three dungeons with you so you can try all 3 roles if you like.
  • Mandrel8
    Mandrel8
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Cosmic - did you get yourself sorted for dungeons yet?

If not, I would be more than happy to help you or anyone else out there in need, as I didn't complete any other than Fungal Grotto on the way through.

I was also playing solo and I failed 2 dungeons (at the last boss ) within random groups picked up at the door with no Healer and a group leader a higher level than me. Once someone on the group rage quits, the other 3 are a bit stuffed.

So, REALLY IMPORTANT take a healer in the group!

I've since achieved some Undaunted Pledges, which are mental and frenetic but had a really diligent Healer. Bear in mind, when being swarmed, you can have given one DPS the job of protecting the healer before you start.

Allyhoo gives good advice, take a high health Tank (who will distract the bosses while the 2 DPS have at him and the add ons) and a Healer to keep everyone alive. It doesn't matter what you are, fit the Group around you.

Don't just accept random groupings and be feeling grateful to be getting started because without the right mix, you can fail at the final hurdle.

Be the leader of the group yourself because then the boss is at your level. Anyone 4 or 5 levels higher than the Group leader won't get much in the way of XP or drops but probably, like me, just wants to tick them off the list, so won't care.

Have in stock some soul gems and some repair kits or alternate weapons and armour, or you may reach the last boss with your kit too broken to complete the quest.

A mic isn't necessary, you can PM or e-mail the group before you go in to be sure everyone knows what they're supposed to be doing.

Fungal Grotto is level 12 - 15
    Darkshade is 20 -23
    Arx is 28 -31
    Direfrost is 35 -36
    Blessed Crucible is 40 -43

mandrel8 Vet1 DK EBP EU PS4
  • Tamriels_Finest
    Myself and a buddy need to still complete fungal grotto if anyone is interested in helping. We are on PS4. I am a level 21 and he is a level 20. I am a DK and he is a templar. We use NA server and both EST. We will be on tonight (estimate @ 8PM EST). If anyone is interested just reply back with your PSN.