Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Can you be rendered unable to attack?

Sadishist
Sadishist
✭✭
Sometimes my character gets "locked up" in a fight and can't swing or use abilities. Wondering if it's a glitch or if it's an enemy ability. Either way it's annoying.
Xbox One - NA
Sadishe - VR10 DragonKnight - DC
  • Artfuldodger
    Artfuldodger
    ✭✭✭
    Could be an enemy casting a spell such as talons which will hold you in place.
    Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
    -Johnny Depp
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No happens to me ever since last patch, its a glitch , I find it happens if I press buttons too fast then after the freeze unlocks some of those presses suddenly kick in
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hit escape,use chat box. sometimes i get hung up and this fixes it. might be an addon issue as well.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    you can get rendered unable to attack for a short duration by enemy skills. In most cases you will see thorny vines around your feet (I'm carefull here to say always). If this last longer then a few seconds it is a glitch.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Sadishist
    Sadishist
    ✭✭
    I'm really thinking it's a bug since I'm unable to even drink potions during the time of the lockup. Always getting me killed.
    Xbox One - NA
  • Sadishist
    Sadishist
    ✭✭
    And I'm on Xbox One btw, guess this problem is inter-platform though.
    Xbox One - NA
  • Elektrakosh
    Elektrakosh
    ✭✭✭
    I get the same, all abilities are greyed out can't use weapons etc. I found if you go into your inventory unequip /reequip your weapon it can free it up again. You tend to die if in the midst of battle as I have done.

Argonian Painted-By-Elements -Pure Sorceress- Daggerfall Covenant. V1 I hate recipes!
    Altmer Elekwen aka The Pale Lady -Sorceress- Aldmeri Dominion. Vampire Lvl 8
    EU/UK. Xbox One.
    Gtag: Elektra K Otana.

• SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    you can get rendered unable to attack for a short duration by enemy skills. In most cases you will see thorny vines around your feet (I'm carefull here to say always). If this last longer then a few seconds it is a glitch.

Nope the vines tend to pull you down then you stand and can mo e, also while held you can still use something's. This is a total lock out, all you can do is move, you can't, dodge, use items or weapons or skills you can't jump nor switch weapon / skill bar.

Until you die or the game catches up, its a wierd kind of lag
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is happening to me on Xbox One.
    This is a horrible bug.
    It is like I am stunned or being stunned but still able to walk. Can't cast, can't change weapons, can't mount horse, cant even crouch.
    Can last forever but usually I just die as I can't do bugger all when attacked.
    Usually only breaks when I find fall damage.
    If anything in this game will make me quit it is this.
    Happening all too often in fights.
  • Sadishist
    Sadishist
    ✭✭
    So I guess this problem started recently and didn't exist at launch?
    Xbox One - NA
  • Mandrel8
    Mandrel8
    ✭✭✭
    My level 48 DK just started experiencing a similar problem. It started last night with the dragon ultimate power where instead of zooming at the enemies in a flash, my guy would be running about, (taking tiny, tiny little steps, oddly) while wearing dragon wings and be unable to attack or block for 20 seconds.
    It would have been comic if I hadn't been on the 4 man pirate island pledge at the time.
    I also had a 4 second lag on any action button (fighting, looting, conversations, everything).
    So, I equipped a different ultimate and reported the issue.

But NOW, well now the guy won't even draw his sword half the time and if he does, he then won't swing it about. It's like he has no stamina at all. Either the dude stands there like a stump while mobs break his armour and then kill him or, he draws his sword, swings it and it connects with ab-sol-utely nothing and the mobs show no reaction as if they can't even see him.
    The action button lag is now about 10 seconds, when they have any effect at all.
    I just got through part of a quest with block and ardent flame and a heap of repair kits but now I just keep dying so,
    Man, I've logged off in a depression. I guess PTSD was inevitable considering what he's been through.
  • Mandrel8
    Mandrel8
    ✭✭✭
    This is on PS4, by the way.
  • Malediktus
    Malediktus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same issue. My character randomly stops being able to fight or interact with stuff during combat. No potions, no skills, no blocking.
    Only dodge rolling works which unfreezes my character.
    It only started very recently. I never noticed it before the last maintenance.
    It happend at least 10 times to me today.
    Edited by Malediktus on August 20, 2015 1:30AM
    @Malediktus --- Ebonheart Pact, EU-Megaserver
  • Sadishist
    Sadishist
    ✭✭
    Mandrel8 wrote: »
    My level 48 DK just started experiencing a similar problem. It started last night with the dragon ultimate power where instead of zooming at the enemies in a flash, my guy would be running about, (taking tiny, tiny little steps, oddly) while wearing dragon wings and be unable to attack or block for 20 seconds.
    It would have been comic if I hadn't been on the 4 man pirate island pledge at the time.
    I also had a 4 second lag on any action button (fighting, looting, conversations, everything).
    So, I equipped a different ultimate and reported the issue.

But NOW, well now the guy won't even draw his sword half the time and if he does, he then won't swing it about. It's like he has no stamina at all. Either the dude stands there like a stump while mobs break his armour and then kill him or, he draws his sword, swings it and it connects with ab-sol-utely nothing and the mobs show no reaction as if they can't even see him.
    The action button lag is now about 10 seconds, when they have any effect at all.
    I just got through part of a quest with block and ardent flame and a heap of repair kits but now I just keep dying so,
    Man, I've logged off in a depression. I guess PTSD was inevitable considering what he's been through.

Same with my DK on Xbox One when I use Take Flight ultimate sometimes. Think it's a separate issue from lockout issue though.
    Edited by Sadishist on August 20, 2015 4:11AM
    Xbox One - NA
  • Mandrel8
    Mandrel8
    ✭✭✭
    So, here's the advice I was given to solve the issues I was having, in case this assists anyone else:
    1) Un-equip all armour and weapons
    (you get to keep your pants on but he obviously doesn't wear socks - you'd think the armoured boots would chafe, but anyway..
    2) Get killed while naked (to reset the character apparently).
    No, wait, you want me to strip in an area with a lot of enemies and therefore heavily populated with other players looking at me and thinking WTF? Oh, all right, I've died so many times in this game anyway, let's go for it. I now have no pride left. And I swear people are looking at me funny although not as badly as when I found myself in the middle of combat unable to DO ANYTHING.
    3) Delete all your saved game data.
    What? Really? Do what now? Did this while holding my breath as I really didn't want to start over and nearly passed a brick when I restarted the game and it began at the initial loading screen. But, all OK and up popped my character.
    4) Swap weapons between hands.
    Not easy with a two handed weapon, of course.
    5) Re-equip kit
    Phew. Was feeling a little embarrassed.
    That seems to have done the trick for now as I sailed through pre-vet final boss level today including using the previously comically bugged ultimate.
    I heavily suspect that I may have to do those things again at some point and this is obviously a problem for quite a few.
  • Zephyr01
    Zephyr01
    ✭✭
    I've been having this problem for weeks now - PS4 Euro here. Thank you SO MUCH Mandrel for directing me to this thread.

I can add a 'fix' but it once in a while it has an odd effect, but at least it works.

6) Run away from the enemies a bit, hell they think you're an idiot for just standing there anyway and it's better than being naked ;-) , and hit the 'Change Weapon', it most likely won't work but if you don't do that the next step doesn't work. Then Sheath your weapon. Re-equip and go back and pay those *** back for nipping at your heels.

Sometimes - usually if I don't hit the 'Change Weapon' command first - the re-equipped weapon will be invisible (I kid you not) but it works. After battle Sheath as normal and carry on - until the next time.
  • Zephyr01
    Zephyr01
    ✭✭
    Just had a thought - sorry for the double post - but is this only happening to DragonKnights?

DK here.
  • mossup1
    mossup1
    Soul Shriven
    I'm a nightblade and it happens to me. I'm on Xbox One btw. Can't use any magic abilities (X, Y, A, RB, LB are all useless). The magic bar doesn't even show. I can swing away with melee weapons. Happened several times in various battles, against various enemies. No idea what I can do.
    Any help would be wonderful (before my disc gets slung up the garden!)
  • Mandrel8
    Mandrel8
    ✭✭✭
    Hey Mossup - did you try all the things that I was told to do? (see earlier post up the page.) Working for me so far.
  • Quigster
    Quigster
    ✭✭✭
    Happens to me occasionally also, and to my wife more often. All abilities become locked and you are able to move, but not attack. She primarily plays her Sorc, but I swap toons a lot and it happens on different toons. PC game here, not a console. Been happening for a few months, but intermittent. Hitting B for inventory, then un-equipping and re-equipping weapons seems to fix it; however not sure why we need to "fix it" in the first place.
    (50) Quigster Bosmer Stamplar
    (50) Lorithar Lightcrest Altmer Mag Sorc
    (50) Tanius Magnitus Argonian Magplar
    (50) Kalethar Redguard Stamplar
    (50) Ra'Jo Darkstrike Khajiit Stamblade
    (50) Gen Maximus Imperial Stam DK
    (50) Jakon Fenrif Redguar Stam Sorc
    (50) Revus Meredor Dunmer Mag DK
    (50) Gorath the Silent Orc Stamblade
    (31) Bjorn Ironhand Nord Stamplar
    (28) Lord Devin Woodhearth Breton Magblade
    Altaholic, CP 600+
  • Zephyr01
    Zephyr01
    ✭✭
    Quigster wrote: »
    Hitting B for inventory, then un-equipping and re-equipping weapons seems to fix it; however not sure why we need to "fix it" in the first place.

I agree. This should've been fixed a long time ago.

• CapnPhoton
    CapnPhoton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has happened to me before and you can walk up to anything and can't attack it but you are still running around. I have fixed it by zoning, and sometimes by going into my inventory or achievement menu them back out. Another more drastic way of fixing is to log out and back in.
    Xbox One NA Aldmeri Dominion