Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trophies and you: What you need to know!

Fruitmass
Fruitmass
✭✭✭✭
So, noticed lately that there's been a there's been a lot of questions regarding Trophies and figured I post this up here to try and help people out. If you notice any mistakes or would like to add anything by all means feel free to comment.

Alright lets get started. First thing to know is that in many cases trophies are "Bound". This means they cannot be traded to other players (currently on PC fishing trophies and unused monster trophies can be sent to alts via the bank. Though this may change with future updates *As of Patch 2.1.4 this is no longer possible).

Now, what are trophies and what do they do? Well, there are several different types of trophies:

Quest Trophies
Most of these you'll get for completing quests related to Public Dungeons but a few can be found elsewhere in the world. These trophies are Bound and cannot be traded or sold to other players. They can be banked though.*Note: Patch 2.3.5 has added a new category to Collections called Mementos, so now all these type of trophies will be stored there instead of in the Miscellaneous section of you inventory.
Battered Bear Trap - Toothmaul Gully
Blackfeather Court Whistle - Crow's Wood
Bonesnap Binding Stone - Bonesnap Ruins
Discourse Amaranthine - The Vile Manse
Fetish Of Anger - Obsidian Scar
Finvir's Trinket - Bad Man's Hallows
Glanir's Smoke Bomb - Crimson Cove
Justal's Falcon - The Lion's Den
Lodorr's Crown - Hall of the Dead
Mezha'dro's Sealing Amulet - Village of the Lost
Nanwen's Sword - Rulanyil's Fall
Questionable Meat Sack - Forgotten Crypts
Sanguine's Goblet - Sanguine's Demesne
Token of Root Sunder - Root Sunder Ruins
Yokudan Totem - Lost City of the Na-Totambu
Malacath's Wrathful Flame - Old Orsinium
Hidden Pressure Vent - Rkindaleft

Almalexia's Enchanted Lantern - Finish the Mournhold quest chain
Lena's Wand of Finding - Finish the Shad Astula quest chain
Nirnroot Wine - Finish the Nirnroot Wine quest in Cyrodiil

There may be others. These are just the one's I've found and kept and can therefore confirm.

Collecting these kinds of trophies does not count towards any achievement in and of themselves. They provide largely cosmetic effects and are just there for your own personal enjoyment.

Fishing Trophies.
Rare fish are found by (yep, you guessed it) fishing. More specifically from "fishing holes" which can be found in most any body of water. What fish you'll catch depends on zone and the type of water your fishing in. How successful you'll be at actually catching any fish depends on whether or not your using the correct bait and, naturally, a healthy dose of RNG. These trophies are Bound and cannot be traded or sold to other players. Nor can they be banked.
There are four types of water and each different type of water has it's own preferred bait:

Foul water: Crawlers and Fish Roe (Not to be confused with Perfect Roe which is an ingredient for making Psijic Ambrosia).
Rivers: Insect Parts and Shad.
Oceans: Worms and Chub
Lakes: Guts and Minnows.

Used bait has no real use other than being an indicator that your using the wrong type of bait for that body of water. So if your pulling lots of it up, change your bait.

Multiple people fishing from the same node is said to increase the likelihood of finding rare fish.

Also, Simple Bait, it's a scam! Pick flowers, catch bugs, kill critters and zombies, trade or buy bait from other players but for the love of Mara don't waste your time or money on Simple Bait. The stuffs not worth it.

Rare fish that you've caught are automatically registered towards their respective achievements once you pick them up. For completing the different fishing achievements players are rewarded with various different dye colors.

Monster Trophies
These trophies are found as loot drops from vanquished foes and only from enemies who are no more than five levels lower then yourself (for veteran rank players this means no lower than level 45). These trophies are Bound and cannot be traded or sold to other players. Nor can they be banked.
For a list of just what creatures drop what items and suggestions on where to find them check out http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/129559/collectible-achievement-guide-spoiler-alert/p1.

For players on the PC in order to get the trophies to register towards their respective achievement you have to actively "use" the item. For players on Console you need only pick the item up and it should register automatically. *As of patch 2.1.4 Monster trophies for PC now function the same as their Console counterpart. There is no longer any need (or ability) to "use" these kinds of trophy items anymore as they will automatically be registered towards their respective achievements once you've picked them up.

Now, since there's no need to "use" the trophy item this means the item just ends up sitting in your inventory taking up space (*Note: As of Patch 2.1.4 they no longer show up under "Consumables" in your inventory. They have been moved to "Miscellaneous".) It's only natural you'd want to get rid of it at your earliest convenience. However before you do so, check to make sure the item has actually been registered towards your achievements. If it has you can dispose of it as you please. If not hold on to it and file a bug report.

For completing the different collection achievements players are rewarded with various dyes.

Psijic Ambrosia Fragments
Fragments are randomly rewarded for completing daily provisioning writs of any rank but your more likely to get a fragment by completing higher rank writs (though even at max provisioning, the chance of getting a fragment is still pretty low). Combining all seven pieces will create the Psijic Ambrosia recipe.

Fragment are not Bound and can be banked, sold or traded freely. As can the Psijic Ambrosia recipe.

Glass Motif Fragments
Fragments are rewarded randomly for completing daily equipment (blacksmithing/tailoring/woodworking) writs. Combining 10 fragments along with 1 Merithic Restorative Resin (available for purchase from Mystic vendors for 10k gold per unit) will create a random motif chapter.

Fragments are not Bound and can be banked, traded or sold freely. As can completed Glass Motif chapters.

Undaunted Keys
Undaunted Keys come in three types: Bronze, Silver and Gold. Undaunted Keys are "Bound". They cannot be traded, sold or placed in the bank.

Bronze keys are rewarded for doing the Non Veteran difficulty dungeon pledge given by Mag Al-ragath and completing the primary objective.

Silver Keys come from doing Non Veteran difficulty dungeon pledge given by Maj Al-ragath and completing both the primary and optional objectives. As well as by completing the Veteran difficulty dungeon pledge given by Glirion the Redbeard without doing the bonus challenge.

Gold Keys are given for finishing the Veteran difficulty dungeon pledge given by Glirion the Redbeard and doing the bonus challenge he gives.
2whkr28.jpg300h8o5.jpg

And there you have it your pocket guide to Trophies. Happy Hunting!

Edited by Fruitmass on August 8, 2016 10:38AM
Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...
  • Tiebearion
    Tiebearion
    ✭✭
    Good stuff.
    Glory to the Pact!
  • BroasaurusChad
    Helpful. Thanks.
  • Woolenthreads
    Woolenthreads
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fruitmass wrote: »
    <snip>
    Now, since there's no need to "use" the trophy item for Console players this means the item just ends up sitting in your inventory taking up space. It's only natural you'd want to get rid of it at your earliest convenience. However before you decide to toss it away, check to make sure the item has actually been registered towards your achievements. If it has you can dispose of it as you please. If not hold on to it and file a bug report.

Can the Monster Trophy be transferred to a newly built character, on the consoles, to gain the achievement on that character too?

# Edit: I'm a PC Player, so the answer doesn't matter to me but it might matter to a console player.
    Edited by Woolenthreads on August 15, 2015 11:48PM
    Oooh look, lot's of Butterflies! Wait! Butterflies? Get out of here Sheo, stop bugging me!

Having issues with Provisioning Writs? A list of problem Writs and people willing to help in game can be found in this Thread
  • Rivan12
    Rivan12
    ✭✭✭
    Nice work, your zone/public dungeon trophies seem off by 1.

15 trophies for 15 zones, plus 1 for Cold Harbor public dungeon for a total of 16 public dungeon trophies.

You only have 15 listed, not sure exactly which one you have missing.
    "Pssst, I know who you are... Hail Sithis"
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fruitmass wrote: »
    <snip>
    Now, since there's no need to "use" the trophy item for Console players this means the item just ends up sitting in your inventory taking up space. It's only natural you'd want to get rid of it at your earliest convenience. However before you decide to toss it away, check to make sure the item has actually been registered towards your achievements. If it has you can dispose of it as you please. If not hold on to it and file a bug report.

Can the Monster Trophy be transferred to a newly built character, on the consoles, to gain the achievement on that character too?

# Edit: I'm a PC Player, so the answer doesn't matter to me but it might matter to a console player.

As I understand trophies can't be placed into the bank on the console version so it can't be transferred to an alt.
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Also just to add after the Imperial City Update, monster trophies should register automatically for PC players when picked up (just as they do now for console players). Until then we will still have to use them.
  • Dogga
    Dogga
    currently on PC fishing trophies and unused monster trophies can be sent to alts via the bank. Though this may change with future updates *As of Patch 2.1.4 this is no longer possible).

I kept all the trophy fish I ever caught on mules and in my bank, an they are still there. Back in the day there was word that the fish would be mountable trophy's and we could put them in our houses. So I kept them all.

I'm a few fish of master fisher, but not being able to put them in bank is a disaster, I don't want to 'consume' the fish but my main (who is the fisher person) doesn't want them clogging up her inventory.

I am not happy- put back the way it was plz.
  • prnoprno
    prnoprno
    ✭✭✭
    I still notice confusion on the many different types of trophies. I've seen people refer to the Imperial City treasure vault drops as simply "trophies" as well. You may want to consider updating that in the OP. But thanks for doing this, I see many confused.
  • maharao_ESO
    I am more than a little confused. All my trophies (on a PC) just seem to sit there, taking up a lot of space. They do not automatically register and neither can they be "used". Is something broken?

Have these trophies just been demoted into another kind of vendor trash?

• Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    @maharao_ESO

There are several miscellaneous items that ZoS chose to catagories as trophies that I do not have listed up here (and yeah, I really should get on that). So depending on what kind of trophy your referring to there may be no achievement or there may be a totally different function.

If the type of trophy your referring to is one of the fishing trophies or monster trophies then you do not have to use them and they should register once you pick them up. Check your achievements (journal/achievemnts/trophies) and look to see if it's registered to it's appropriate category. If it has your fine and you can toss or sell the object. If it hasn't hold on to it and submit a bug report.

If your referring to Mark of the Legion, Planar Armor Scrap, Dark Ether, BoneShards, Bloody Claw, Monsterous Tooth, Daedric Shackles or Daedric Embers those are used to open special chests found in the Imperial City.

Glass Motif fragments and Psijic Ambrosia recipe fragments have to be combined to make their respective items.

Undaunted Keys are rewarded for completing daily pledge dungeons for the Undaunted and open one of three corresponding chests found at the Undaunted Enclave located just outside your factions Capitol City.
    Edited by Fruitmass on January 2, 2016 6:53PM
  • maharao_ESO
    Thanks.
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rivan12 wrote: »
    Nice work, your zone/public dungeon trophies seem off by 1.

15 trophies for 15 zones, plus 1 for Cold Harbor public dungeon for a total of 16 public dungeon trophies.

You only have 15 listed, not sure exactly which one you have missing.

Razaak's Wheel has a pet rather than a trophy as the quest reward.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs