The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
We are currently investigating connection issues some players are having on the North American megaservers. We will update as new information becomes available.

Character Name Explanations

Totalitarian
Totalitarian
✭✭✭✭✭
I was wondering if the names people give their characters have any meaning outside of it being just a name. If there is any particular reason why you gave a specific character the name you gave them.
PC NA CP 531+
Aedric Fury Sits Around Doing Nothing
Sola Auroron Magicka Templar
Lunaria Chimeri Magicka Dragonknight
The Chosen of the Storm Stamina Sorcerer
Ward-Scales Magicka Nightblade
Sanctius Luxen Stamina Templar
Nerwaye Auroron Magicka Sorcerer
Warden Vyrkyl Stamina Dragonknight
The Ninth Adventurer Stamina Nightblade
Magna-Sola Magicka Templar
The Celestial Lady Magicka Templar
Read their adventures!
The Celestial Lady
  • zedich
    zedich
    Since the very first RPG I powered up and started playing, I have been using the same name for my main male character through all of them. I also try and keep his personality and backstory the same but flexible to fit into the lore of the game I play him in.
    I get most of my names by facerolling on my keyboard and reading it in my head.

kjhjgliedglorre
    ^
    =
    Lielore

See it?
    I don't go so far as to have names for my characters that give away if their a bad guy or not.
    'Sinestro'...I mean, yea.

I was playing WoW some years ago and had a great RP friend named Adramalech or something similar. If you google the name, you will get demonic sites and names and such. Up to that point, I had -no idea- his character was a Demon and the name was a huge clue.

I'm also a huge Roleplayer, so I will always sit there trying to come up with a good name that sounds good to me. Often times I find the name to be the hardest part of character creation, that and the boob size slider.
    To max? Or not to max?....that is the question.
    Options
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My character: Sola Auroron, has rather special reasons for her name.

First name: Sola.
    Sola means essentially Sun in Latin/Spanish. Well, it is actually a feminized form of 'sol' which means sun. Where did I get this name from? Well, one of my best friends is named Stella, which means star. So, in order to come up with a cooler name to call her, I thought about it, and came up with Sola. Whatever speculations you have about why I would come up with that name particularly may entirely be correct, at one point in time. When I came up with that name, well, at least thought of it, I realized that it was a particularly awesome name. I am a male, so I do not have a femimine name, but if for some reason I was a woman, which is not going to happen, Sola would be one of the possible names I would have wanted to have, of course though, I am not going to be a woman, so I would have to settle with Sola as a name of a possible child. Of course, I do not plan of having any for several years, so the name of my character seemed to sufficed, and it truly has.

Middle name: Aldmeris.
    There is little other to the middle name that notating the ancestry of the Altmer. I guess that Altmer generally do not have surnames or middle names though. Her middle name is of very little significance.

Last name/surname: Auroron.
    Following on the first name, it may not be an entirely obvious choice, but Auroron is derived from Aurora. Aside from being an awesome name, the idea of Aurora has been in my mind for probably ten years. I personally own a small collection of Bionicles, which I played with a lot as a child, and still have them today. I would make my own figures and give certain ones names. One of the weapons always looked like they had a face, so I stuck it on a human body, and made it. She was a spirit of ice (if I were to explain this, I would be here all day) and eventually, I came up with a name: Aurora. If/when I have children, if I were to have a girl, I would probably want her named Aurora, Sola, Adriseti (more on that name some other time). It will probably be a decade before that, after all, I am just starting in college.

I am a rather skilled writer, and can pick apart stories and poems, and all manner of literature with relative ease. So I can easily convey the reasons of why, and the possibilities of why, the name of this character is the way it is. My character's first name seems to highlight one of the important interests of my life: space. I have liked space since I was probably six, and know quite a bit about it, my major in college is going to be applied physics and astrophysics, and the first name seems to heavily highlight that. The last name, seems to highlight my creativity more than anything. In short, those Bionicles I mentioned, a year ago, I started to write a book so I would not forget their stories, which I have been making for probably a decade. Of course, I changed it to where most of the characters are human, for story purposes, and Aurora, from which I derived Auroron from, is one of the major characters. So it seems like my character's name is a mutt of personal friendship, interest, and creativity.

If you are willing to share your details on why your character has their name, please share.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
    Options
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main is a female Templar who I based on Joan of Arc who was also know as the Maid of Orleans which I turned into Maude Dorleons for my character name.
    Options
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zedich wrote: »
    . Often times I find the name to be the hardest part of character creation
    I have a problem making names. In all my writing, I can say that names are the hardest for me. For certain characters, I have definite names planned out, but most remain nameless until I write them in. Those ones tend to essentially facerolled and edited to something somewhat readable.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
    Options
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    Rioghnan means "little king" in Irish Gaelic. It's a reference to his ancestry, lol.
    You die first!
    Options
  • wackwii
    wackwii
    As I mentioned in my character story, Stripe the heroic was an orc who was the son of a chief in his village. Some adult orcs would receive war tattoos as a tradition. He chose stripes on his face and a skeleton around his body. He earned the heroic title when he saved his village from bandits and survived. Stripe the heroic earned his full nickname from the tattoo and by saving his village. That was the name he would be known by in the village and also to strangers
    "You dream of the moon and of a man who is less than a man"
    Options
  • EnglishDragon17
    EnglishDragon17
    ✭✭✭
    My skyrim character was called Grahhun because it meant hero in the dragon language
    Options
  • gamsir
    gamsir
    ✭✭
    Gamsir is one of the many possible western ways to write the name of a nice little contested district that I came to know intimately in the far east years ago.

Gamsir is the original xbox live id I chose after returning home.

After returning home I bought a brand new xbox360 and TES IV oblivion that had just released.

Gamsir has just seemed like a good fantasy RPG name, so it has stuck with me, even when transitiating to ps3/4
    Options
  • Dragonsloth
    Dragonsloth
    Soul Shriven
    My main Character (High elf) is named lord fireheart because his family all died leaving him abit off land but he had his name changed because his ex left him for a khajit so he killed them both by burning their hearts into ash. :)
    Options
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    Brutal.
    You die first!
    Options
  • huntr5000
    huntr5000
    Soul Shriven
    Anytime I make a character in a TES game, I always go to the lore for their name. (Even when I don't plan on actually RPing that character... which is rare :smile: ) Generally, I choose names that not only fit best with my chosen race, but also my characters background.

For example, I recently created a male dunmer who's name is Taren Avalenar. His mother gave him the name Taren, after a dark elf servant who proved himself worthy to those that thought he was beneath them. (Lore book: Master Zoaraym's Tale) The house name, Avalenar, is simply a common dunmer house name. However, it was also chosen by his mother so that he would never know the unfortunate circumstances surrounding his father's murder and his mother's migration from Morrowind. This has been somewhat in vain as Taren inevitably hears rumors of his belonging to House Telvanni.

So as you can see, I do put a lot of detail and thought into my character's names, but I find it makes for a much richer and more rewarding role play experience.
    Options
  • Rioghnan
    Rioghnan
    ✭✭✭
    Weirdly, my two main TES characters both have names that don't fit in with their races at all. Both of them have Irish Gaelic names. But their stories contain tons of characters with legitimate sounding names. Mhaith's mom is Rayna Llethri and his stepdad is Sevyn Aryon. His real dad's name is Aerath which, although there aren't many named members of his race, sounds decently believable. And Rioghnan's mom is Lilaena (no surname, she's a typical Altmer) and his dad... well he has a really weird name for his race! And he's CANON! Sounds like a couple'a Spanish dudes names. :wink:
    Edited by Rioghnan on August 16, 2015 12:16AM
    You die first!
    Options
  • Berret
    Berret
    ✭✭✭
    Never really have a reason for a name, aside from "It fits them." :)
    Options
  • Cillion3117
    Cillion3117
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used Cillion since my pin and paper D&D day in the early 80's. I use it in every game I play.
    Options
  • Frozstee
    Frozstee
    ✭✭✭
    Berret wrote: »
    Never really have a reason for a name, aside from "It fits them." :)
    ^This is usually the same approach I take as well with all my characters save one.

My abandoned Khajiit did not have a name for many ages while he was growing up in the wilderness. When he did make his way into society people would often simply just call him Khajiit, so for the young cat he figured it was his name as well. It was not until a series of events lead him to meet and be mentored by a particularly skilled Khajiit named Razum-Dar. He learned quickly and impressed Razum-Dar enough to be enlisted into the Eyes of the Queen, which during the unofficial ceremony the young Khajiit was offered a new name. Zarum, a clever twist of the letters to show that he was the mentored by the great Razum-Dar.

GT: Frozstee = Xbox - NA =
    "Bright Moons, and Sharp Claws my friends." - Zarum
    Options
  • robot_camel87
    Erdan Shadowalker was a D&D character I made. I just kept it for all of my Fantasy RP games. He's always a thief/archer type character. In ESO he's a Khajiit Nightblade. I also made an Argonian Templar that I named Licks-Up-Dirt. Goes with the name structure in the world lore, and it makes me laugh.
    This one swears to drunk this one's not Julianos.
    Options
  • Lightninvash
    Lightninvash
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm piecrust because I'm Vivec's cousin piecrust the god of pies, the ruler of filling, the protector of the warm goodness!
    Options
  • TRoclodyte
    TRoclodyte
    ✭✭✭
    My character is Countess Kristen Vekon (née Gawadunen).

I've always preferred hard sounding names (Catherine, Cassadra, Kristen, Kayla) rather than soft names (Eva, Sophie), so when I created this character, who is a breton, I found the name "Kristen" in a list of old celtic names (I love how they sound). "Kristen" is the breton/celtic form of "Christine".

Her birth surname is Gawadunen, which is real-life old breton or some such, and roughly translates to "Of the Black Blood". Kristen's family is an old one with a dark history.

As her new surname, Vekon... I don't know. It's her husband's surname, I didn't make it, nor did I ask lol.
    Edited by TRoclodyte on August 19, 2015 7:45PM
    Options
  • Shogunami
    Shogunami
    ✭✭✭✭
    This one's name is Qa'Tayam, and to be honest, he doesn't really know what his name means. He didn't name himself.
    -
    "I think Orcs first turned a bear head into food because it looks amazing." -Orzorga.
    Options
  • Totalitarian
    Totalitarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shogunami wrote: »
    This one's name is Qa'Tayam, and to be honest, he doesn't really know what his name means. He didn't name himself.

The true role player.
    PC NA CP 531+
    Read their adventures!
    The Celestial Lady
    Options
  • GuyNamedSean
    GuyNamedSean
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main's name is Shashev, which is a common Dunmer name that sounds vaguely similar to my actual name.
    Former Guildmaster of the Legion of Mournhold
    XBL: GuyNamedSean
    PC: GuyNamedSeanPC
    Options
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This one did some research about Khajiit ancestral names dating back to the first era and found the Mahspoor is our family/clan name. It could mean "Lords of the Air" or "fishmonger" for all is know. As for given names, my brothers/cousins use normal modern Khajiit names with the Dar, Do, Zar, etc prefixs to indicate our professions or traits.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
    Options
  • ValVonSputz
    ValVonSputz
    Soul Shriven
    I am Ashia Moonfall, Breton.

I do not know my full ancestry, as my mother was murdered on my day of birth and my father fled the same day. I have kept their journals and those, combined with the eyewitness account of my adopted parents, have given me some insight to my conception and my mother's death.

My mother, Yahra Xaraine, was a goddess among the cult she lead, Moonflower Cult. Her followers marveled at her sorcery. Due to their, sometimes inexplicable, adoration of her, some would say that she cast a spell on them that they could not ,and did not want to, break. These people would do anything for her and stayed by her side to harness any wisdom and love she would share. Her lust for adventure turned the cult into nomads, following her at every climb of a mountain and jump of a cliff.

My father, Leon Prado, was a leader in his own right. He was a master manipulator and worked his way into the cult. Known for his fierce fighting skills, honeyed words, and sharp wit, his acceptance was undeniable at first. He began to lead worship ceremonies; therefore, he quickly caught the attention of my mother, which she already had of his. Smitten, and blinded, she could not see the impending plight. Many of the members grew inquisitive of his frequent absences, so a spy was sent to keep watch. He was seen meeting with Dibella zealots, who were known to use blood magic to oppress anyone who defied the true gods. This information was given to my mother who would believe none of it and began to punish those who spoke out against her love.

A message intercepted by the spy spoke of blood magic being used during the conception of what would be my mother's only child. The intent of this ritual was to ensure this child, during birth, was to "pierce the heart and soul of the blaspheming witch." Furthermore, the child was to rise as a demon and put fear and discourse in the heart of her followers to ensure the demise of this faith. Assuming these messages were forged, my mother forced the spy out into the wilderness to die by the wolves. Others, who believed the spy was telling the truth, no longer found love for my mother. They planned to sabotage my birth and kill the remaining followers.

On the night of my birth, my father called on the high council to prepare the birthing ceremony. As my mother lay in labor, my father watched in anticipation of what would emerge. When I was born into the world with none but the wounds of labor done to my mother, he knew something had gone awry. Just after he fled to inform his cohorts, my mother's traitors stormed the camp dousing it in flame and cleansing it of the horror they believed was to come. Everyone was killed, save me. A couple, traveling not far behind, saw the whole ordeal unfold. They came to the wreckage after the others had fled. They saw me, lying there motionless. When they approached me, they noticed that only soot covered my body. I was not wounded from the flame. My hair was white, my eyes even more so.

Ashia = Ashen haired, born from ashes, cleansed by flame
    Moonfall = Born underneath the moons and stars, the demise of the Moonflower Cult

My caregivers have seen the true effects of the intended curse, and have helped me tame the magic that flows within me. They tell me, "Use this gift to give blessings to others and to spite the purpose for which it was given". I do bless and heal my allies, but I use it as discipline for my foes.

Now, I travel in search of pieces of my past while taking contracts along the way. Revenge is a softer term for what I will do to those who have wronged my mother. As for my father, I haunt his dreams by night... to serve a precursor of what's to come.

Edited by ValVonSputz on August 23, 2015 4:24PM
    Options
  • wrathofrraath
    wrathofrraath
    ✭✭✭
    Vokul Lovaas means Evil Music in the language of dragons. He was cursed with corpse paint upon his creation and invented the genre of black metal in Tamriel with his lute.
    Vokul Lovaas - V16 Magicka Dragonknight
    Vokul Vol - V16 Magicka Nightblade

Order of Mundus - NA DC

DK heals OP
    Options
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when you press the interact button on some one to trade with them, it would allow us to click on the "read autobiography" about them as well. that would be really cool.

i have very personal relationship with all my characters and thier names. i want so badly for eso to allow us to make a section for a "autobiography" that we can link next to our name that people can clik on and read to see what our character name means, something like a 200 word space they can read about our character.

mine would say something like:

"name" was born 3e sundas during a violent ash-storm and he was named "name" because ....

would be really cool if we could do that.
    Edited by Gilvoth on August 21, 2015 10:18PM
    Options
  • WandersWithMoonlight
    Wanders-With-Moonlight was named basically for her nature, or I suppose a name she chose to reflect her new lifestyle. That seems to be how Argonian names work. Based on actions and deeds. She was meant to be a Shadowscale, but didn't want to spend her life taking the lives of others. She would rather just travel Tamriel, see the sights and meet people and basically live a life of peace, free of bringing harm and death to others. So she never stays rooted, hence Wanders...as for the rest of the name, I sort of have two explanations for. The first and main one is that she prefers the night, and rather enjoys traveling along the roads during the night when the moons are high, everything lit by moonlight. The other is that her scales are a pale grayish-white, sort of like the color of moonlight.

I have a Nord named Reka Wolf-Blood. Reka is just, well, a Scandinavian name. I think it's Finnish, but I forget exactly where, and I forget the meaning too. The meaning wasn't a big part of the decision, it just seemed to fit. Wolf-Blood, however, is a name she got from her actual nature, of being rather wild and impulsive. It's also a reference to A Song of Ice and Fire, since Arya was often referred to as having the "wolf blood" for the exact same reason.
    Options
  • urkrtheorcwarchief
    Well my guy who i named Urkro Gro-Bogmack is an orc warchief who is the leader of clan Bogmack and is always a wolf blood i first made him back on Oblivion and i got the idea to make him cus i had never made an orc before but now there my favorite race and my go to characters and i always use the same skills with him witch is Heavy armour,two handed ,and smithing like how i would imagine an orc to be and i always *** to be immersive in my gameplay as if i was the character and not the player.
    Options
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mending-the-Wounded.
    (Argonian Healer)

Shouldn't need much explaining.
    For humanoid characters (and other games) i use other names, but i always aim for a name without numbers or strange things.
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.
    Options
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back when I was playing AD&D, I was also taking German. This resulted in some poor naming decisions, like a fighter named Krieger. Lord Richter was similarly devoid of creativity. I later decided they were the same character and built a back story to bridge the gap between two characters in completely differnt roles. One of those two names has stuck with me. I leave that discovery to the student.
    Edited by Elsonso on August 23, 2015 5:56PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Options
  • gamsir
    gamsir
    ✭✭
    Anyone wanting inspiration go to unofficial elder scrolls page:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Names

Edit: fat fingers on ipad typo (plural)
    Edited by gamsir on August 23, 2015 5:41PM