Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

are wispmothers supposed to be that tough?

Sadishist
Sadishist
✭✭
As a DK I'm always getting killed by them, they're tougher than world bosses even when I'm a higher level than them. How do you kill them?
Xbox One - NA
Sadishe - VR10 DragonKnight - DC
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadishist wrote: »
    How do you kill them?

It's not the wispmothers that are hard but the wisps they summon. I normally have lil issue with them (on my dragonknight, stats for tanking). blocking the wisps is futile, they are too many, so just make sure you dps the mother. move around them while hitting her, so you kite the wisps around the mother.

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Sadishist
    Sadishist
    ✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »
    How do you kill them?

It's not the wispmothers that are hard but the wisps they summon. I normally have lil issue with them (on my dragonknight, stats for tanking). blocking the wisps is futile, they are too many, so just make sure you dps the mother. move around them while hitting her, so you kite the wisps around the mother.

Idk, the wisps aren't tough for me, the wispmothers also seem to multiply in to 3 of them and my stamina goes poof. Maybe it's their AOE?
    Xbox One - NA
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And watch your feet! She'll rain wisps down on you and the spots they land are highlighted by red circles on the ground.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are tough. Here's how you kill them. First clear out as many of the wisps around them as you can without pulling agro on the wisp mother. You may have to move around abit while fighting the wispmother and you don't need the wisps bothering you. I usually use a bow to attack, but melee works too. When attacking, focus on the wispmother and only the wispmother. Don't worry about the duplicates she produces, kill her and the others go away. I'd use Dragonknight Standard, drop that on her early and keep hitting her, using the sequince, attack, attack, heal (dragon blood), attack, attack, heal (potion.... hopefully a tri pot /heal/stam/magic), ... continue until 1 of you is dead. (hopefully her :wink: )
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    How do you kill them?

Idk, the wisps aren't tough for me, the wispmothers also seem to multiply in to 3 of them and my stamina goes poof. Maybe it's their AOE?

The wisps are not tough indeed, but she keeps spawning them. The stamina goes poof cause you try to block their attacks (which drains your stamina). that is why I say to ignore them and kite them round while you smash the hell out of the wispmother. I've never seen them multiply.

edit - cause others talk bout duplicates as well, maybe I'm confused here. likely cause I focus on hitting the wispmother and ingore everything else the best I can, bottom line is thats the tactic. how the other spawns look is unimportant ;)
    Edited by Ranique on August 7, 2015 6:18PM

PC player - EU
  • nimander99
    nimander99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One of the few creatures that isn't using fire damage so their magic isn't mitigated as well.
    I AM UPDATING MY PRIVACY POLICY

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

∽∽∽ 2 years of Elder Scrolls Online ∼∼∼
    "Give us money" = Box sales & monthly sub fees,
    "moar!" = £10 palomino horse,
    "MOAR!" = Switch to B2P, launch cash shop,
    "MOAR!!" = Charge for DLC that subs had already paid for,
    "MOAR!!!" = Experience scrolls and riding lessons,
    "MOARR!!!" = Vampire/werewolf bites,
    "MOAARRR!!!" = CS exclusive motifs,
    "MOOAARRR!!!" = Crown crates,
    "MOOOAAARRR!!!" = 'Chapter's' bought separately from ESO+,
    "MOOOOAAAARRRR!!!!" = ???

Male, Dunmer, VR16, Templar, Aldmeri Dominion, Master Crafter & all Traits, CP450
  • Sadishist
    Sadishist
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the advices
    Xbox One - NA
  • cinnamonbooty
    yeah... as stated above sometimes (i think it must depend on the time spent in the battle) the wispmothers will use a special attack that creates 2 clones, though it's fairly easy to tell which the original was. If that's the case you'll have to focus hard on killing the original one as soon as possible.

Note: I'm not sure if this is true, but I, too, am a dragonknight, and I'm thinking perhaps they are strong against fire spells
    Cinnamon
  • srs121
    srs121
    ✭✭
    Wisp mothers have a nasty mechanic where they spAwn wisps And other wisp mothers. However if you focus the original wisp mother the others should go away, leaving you with just the wisp adds.
    Interested in joining a PvE focused clan? Feel free to contact me.

Alliance : Aldmeri Dominion
    Platform : Playstation 4
    PSN : srs121
    Server : North American
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advices
    Tried them all and none of them work. For many solo players, these are tough bosses. Between the never-ending wisps and her split, they're the hardest boss in the game (at least for me).

I will tell you what does work, but you have to be an NB to do it. Use Summon Shade then immediately go into Shadow. This lures the wisps to the shade while you can knock out the Wisp Mother. As several have said, keep your eye on her at all times as when she splits, you can lose sight pretty quickly attacking the wrong one.

This works for me about 80% of the time, until she throws down that AoE attack which explodes cold damage in the area. Nails me every time.
    :angry:

Anymore, I just wait for backup. :blush:
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »
    Thanks for the advices
    Tried them all and none of them work. For many solo players, these are tough bosses. Between the never-ending wisps and her split, they're the hardest boss in the game (at least for me).

I will tell you what does work, but you have to be an NB to do it. Use Summon Shade then immediately go into Shadow. This lures the wisps to the shade while you can knock out the Wisp Mother. As several have said, keep your eye on her at all times as when she splits, you can lose sight pretty quickly attacking the wrong one.

This works for me about 80% of the time, until she throws down that AoE attack which explodes cold damage in the area. Nails me every time.
    :angry:

Ignore the wisps and the wispmother duplicates (well, aside from staying mobile so that they won't all be hitting you at once) - focus all your DPS on the original wispmother. If you can't solo them at level using this tactic, regardless of your class, then your DPS is simply too low. Even a tank build should easily be able to get high enough DPS to do this, so if you follow the original wispmother and focus all of your DPS on her, and you still can't solo her, then it's a good sign that you need to take a step back and take a good look at the skills you're using, and just how you're playing your character in general.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Sadishist
    Sadishist
    ✭✭
    I had thought it was her attacks that suck up your stamina, but maybe was bad management on my part?
    Xbox One - NA
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had thought it was her attacks that suck up your stamina, but maybe was bad management on my part?

You need to be mixing in heavy attacks with your weapon to generate stamina.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭

The amount of foes trying to hit you in those figthts is big. So my suspicion is that you are blocking them. Cause of how blocking works, you drain yourself quickly that way.

PC player - EU
  • Sadishist
    Sadishist
    ✭✭

The amount of foes trying to hit you in those figthts is big. So my suspicion is that you are blocking them. Cause of how blocking works, you drain yourself quickly that way.

Well I do use a sword and board, but I hardly ever block unless it's a yellow attack. I use stamina for Unstoppable and Puncture abilities. My stamina isn't that high because my attributes are 1:1:1 ratio, I use magika for Green Dragon Blood and Hardened Armor. I think my main failure is I stay in her AOE.
    Xbox One - NA
  • srs121
    srs121
    ✭✭
    To strengthen your build you should concentrate on 2, instead of doing all 3 attritubutes. You will gain the other ones by leveling out. Just a suggestion. Or change the enchantments on your gear to add the ats your lacking in or need.
    Interested in joining a PvE focused clan? Feel free to contact me.

Alliance : Aldmeri Dominion
    Platform : Playstation 4
    PSN : srs121
    Server : North American
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Ignore the wisps and the wispmother duplicates (well, aside from staying mobile so that they won't all be hitting you at once) - focus all your DPS on the original wispmother. If you can't solo them at level using this tactic, regardless of your class, then your DPS is simply too low.
    I'm DW NB and "DPS too low" is pretty much the standard with this class. Single handed weapons just don't do massive damage, though they're not supposed to.

With NB, it's "get in there, jab, move", but this doesn't work with Wispmothers because of the wisps. Where does one go to avoid damage?

I've seen every other class walk up to these things and just pummel them down to 25% health without breaking a sweat, but I've never seen a NB do the same. If there's an NB out there who can do so, please, show a video.

Worse, our primary crit-hit damage relies on stealth. Without it, we get nothing, and Wispmothers are immune to this attack. The second we hit, the wisps are released and the AoE attacks begin.

This isn't whining, just a fact.

I've tried many different tactics, solo, as a DW NB player and nothing seems to work against these. I'm not saying it's impossible, but they are very tough. Those are just "cave" bosses. The bosses in the open (crossbones) areas are damn near impossible to kill solo as NB (I've yet to do one).

I'm VR8 right now, so I know it's not a leveling issue. Even at this level, I still have a tough time killing them, and this is with all my skills unlocked and morphed, and every passive unlocked.

Even our Ultimate attack don't seem to do squat against these things, which is sad when I see other Ultimate attacks decimate them.

Such as the life for NB. ;)
  • qpviper1qp
    qpviper1qp
    ✭✭
    I'm a sorc and i used to have a ton of trouble with wispmothers. Haven't fought one in a while and i've adjusted my build some since then. With a major overhaul i think i could burst her and get her way faster but with my dk, i would struggle. They are just plain tough for some reason.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    yes, its an AoE, mobility and magicka damage survival test
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• linoge63
    linoge63
    ✭✭✭
    Violynne wrote: »

This...after this 1st attempt...I shall be siping a latte eating a few venison haunches and wait ...
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    Well I do use a sword and board, but I hardly ever block unless it's a yellow attack. I use stamina for Unstoppable and Puncture abilities. My stamina isn't that high because my attributes are 1:1:1 ratio, I use magika for Green Dragon Blood and Hardened Armor. I think my main failure is I stay in her AOE.

I'm a DK and the wispmothers are definitely harder than a lot of the enemies.

By splitting your attributes 1:1:1 you're seriously gimping your character as magicka abilities are partly based off of your max magicka and stamina abilities are partly based off of your max stamina. You want points in magicka OR stamina (not both) and then however many you want in health depending on how squishy you're comfortable being (personally I've got no points in health). Most/all of your abilities should then be either magicka or stamina depending on which you have your attribute points in. Lastly make sure you always use blue food that increases your max health and either stamina or magicka.
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673