Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

I can't progress in the Mages Guild Questline... please help!

djmcgee10
djmcgee10
Soul Shriven
I'm a level 43 in the Aldmeri Dominion on the XBox One, and I'm almost 100% I've beat every quest up to & including "Circus of Cheerful Slaughter"... however I can't figure out where to pickup "Chateau of the Ravenous Rodent". When I speak to Valaste at the Baandari Trading Post in Malabol Tor she just tells me she's trying to unravel the mysteries surround the book I brought her... and perhaps if I were to uncover other such books she'd be more successful... so I'm wondering did I miss a quest? I can't figure out a way to track which Mages Guild Quests I've completed... there doesn't seem to be a listing? Please help, I really appreciate it!!! Any info would be awesome!

Best Answer

• TeamGizzy
    TeamGizzy
    ✭✭✭
    Collect lorebooks ? Visit mages guild from time to time. ( tome to tome lolololol) but I believe Lorebooks are the way. kEpp collecting
    Baskin Robins always finds out.....
    Answer ✓
  • djmcgee10
    djmcgee10
    Soul Shriven
    @TeamGizzy , I am only a level 3 in the Mages Guild, I think you're correct.
  • srs121
    srs121
    ✭✭
    Once you complete all the Mage guild quests, you have to collect the lore books in shalidors library section to gain experience points. These books are the ones that are purple in color, they don't give a lot of experience but once you complete a set (ex. Auridon Lorebooks 10/10) you will gain an addition bonus to experience.
    Interested in joining a PvE focused clan? Feel free to contact me.

Alliance : Aldmeri Dominion
    Platform : Playstation 4
    PSN : srs121
    Server : North American
  • qpviper1qp
    qpviper1qp
    ✭✭
    There should be a mages guild quest line in your journal. If not, then i am uncertain what to do next but it sounds like you are close to the end of it to me. I am sure someone with more experience might be able to tell you rxactly which quest is next if you went into detail but sadly i am not that person. Hopefully it is in your journal though. Hope you figure it out soon.
  • DrunkenGryffinInn
    I can confirm 100% that you level to max rank by collecting lore books as stated above. Most of the ones you need you will find in the public dungeons. There are also some in Cyrodiil.
    Xbone NA Ebonheart Pact GT: DrunkenGryffin
  • djmcgee10
    djmcgee10
    Soul Shriven
    I appreciate that, however I am not being offered the quest I stated above... do you need to be a certain level in the mages guild to get it? I'm currently level 3, and close to level 4...
    I can confirm 100% that you level to max rank by collecting lore books as stated above. Most of the ones you need you will find in the public dungeons. There are also some in Cyrodiil.

• Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    It is true that to level mage guild tree is buy collecting lore books but to progress in the quest line I believe you have to do certain quest to unlock the next quest to finish the quest line of the mages guild.
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • fractalknight
    fractalknight
    ✭✭
    The journal keeps track of your quest progress and any maybe how many lorebooks you have (maybe not).
    Tarkus Aquila - Imperial Templar
    Klaaz - Khajit Nightblade
    Fractiz - Altmer Sorcerer
    Jonsir Vheti - Dunmer Dragonknight
    Kills-With-Grin - Argonian Dragonknight

Myrddin the Mystic - Breton Warden

PS4 ESOTU Adventurer since June 2015
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    Go to citys look for the npc that gives the quest they move zones
  • cinnamonbooty
    I don't know the exact stipulations, but everything stated above seems to ring true for me; I am a level 34, and I believe a level 3 or 4 in the mages guild, and I just completed the Chateau of the Ravenous Rodent (in addition to the Circus of Cheerful slaughter). I will get updates on when/where to speak to Valaste it seems after I collect more lore tomes/complete quests in the main questline and other subquests

I'm looking for a list of requirements, if any, to start/complete these quests to help further, but I kind of just blunder through looking high/low for goodies like those tomes.
    Cinnamon
  • cinnamonbooty
    Also as stated above: sometimes it's unclear where exactly to go next to speak to Valaste, I'm in the Pact and I move to a different city/area with each of the Mad God Mages Guild Quests, so it's entirely possible you haven't reached the area/lore requirements for the next quest
    Cinnamon