Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Is super fast levelling bad?

Princess_Zoe
Hi all,

I'd like some opinions one something if possible, since most people on this forum are a lot smarter about this game than I am :blush::smiley:

I have a VR4 character and am currently looking to start up a new character, partly because I don't like the look of my 1st character and want to change race to Breton instead of Imperial and partly because I want to have 2 sets of hirelings bringing me supplies.

Since I'm picking the same class (because I love being a Sorcerer) and same faction (Ebonheart again because that's where all my friends are), I want to level up as quickly as possible and try to get my new character up level with my V4 character within a few weeks if I can...

My question is, if I purchase a stack of the 50% XP boost scrolls from the crown store to help me get there quicker, would it have a major negative affect on my character's development?

For example, the 50% XP boosts would mean I would probably over-level myself for areas pretty quickly and end up not getting as much XP from my kills, and therefore not levelling up my armor & weapon skills as much.

I have plenty of money on PSN to spend on the crown store, but I'm undecided if using the scrolls for quick leveling is a good idea or not... I want to get to high level as fast as possible as I have already played through the story, but I still want to develop my character completely...

Perhaps when leveling slows down at VR level, my armor & ability levels will catch up to what they should be for my rank...

Any opinions? :smile:
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main quest line and guild quests are mostly scaled to your level, so you don't have to worry about being over-levelled for those. If you exceed the recommended level for your zone, simply travel to the next and start grinding there. You're not blocked from proceeding to a different area if you don't complete the zone quests. I took my level 20 sorcerer to bangkorai and levelled to 39 in half a day. The Coldharbour quests easily got me to VR1. It was pretty difficult (I effing hate Harvesters) because I was way under the recommended level, but the experience paid off. So no, I don't believe it will hinder you in any way. You might miss out on a few weapons along the way, but you can craft them yourself or just buy them from guild stores.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Bad" is a value judgement ... only you can decide after you get there.
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take your current character and craft weapons and armor for your new character and bank them.

Start a new character and race through. By the time the toon hits VR, it'll be high enough to use the gear in the bank.

Rinse and repeat 6 more times, if desired. :)
  • Pyro117
    Pyro117
    ✭✭
    My only concern is the skill points for your abilities, as long as you don't run out of those then power leveling would be fine - in my opinion.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The XP boost scrolls are a waste untill you hit VR levels, remember they boost you're cp gains also. Since you don't gain cp points untill VR levels, I'd hold off on the scrolls. You should be able to roll through levels 1-50 in a few days to around a week, depending on how often you play.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I was wondering the same thing as OP.

I have my Main NB who is a Master Blacksmith and Clothier, so I can have him craft weapons and armor for any of my new characters.

But I don't necessarily want to slog through all of the stories again on subsequent characters (though I do love the questing in this game...).

My question is: In the Ebonheart pact, where would be a good place to go to quickly level out subsequent characters? Money is tight right now, so I don't have the free cash to buy the Exp scrolls, so where could I go to get the exp grind to level out my new characters?

I understand if there aren't many places, just wondering what the fastest leveling methods would be.

twitch.tv/vampire_nox
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say no to Crown Crates!

• QuebraRegra
    QuebraRegra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so no !@#*& there I was....

I've leveled 6 alts to VET in an attempt to avoid the "unpleasantness" of the VET campaigns. IMHO, get to 10 as fast as possible with yer various alts, and avoid leveling for as long as you can (supplements skills with shards). From there you can just enjoy the non-vet campaigns.

I know at some point CP bleed thru to alts will start to ruin the non-vet campaigns, but at least on console, that day is no today.

If I could pay some cash to just respec (full options for remaking character appearance, class, race, faction, etc.) and have the option to lock level that'd be lovely.

c2804b35ca80ed3cd804459fea8ec308.jpg
    Edited by QuebraRegra on August 5, 2015 2:38PM
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I understand...

Are you saying I should avoid leveling and just stay at level 10? Confusion, I know thee well... lol

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

• Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since this is the same class, the only thing I can see you maybe missing out on is some skill points if you don't do all the quests that give them. As far as that goes, level how ever fast you want :smile:
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, now I just need to find places to grind mobs. lol

twitch.tv/vampire_nox

• Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are few things to be aware of when grinding a character:

1. You will not have a lot of extra skill points so selecting what skills are necessary becomes important. This includes skipping most of the crafting skills. Nothing a respect can't fix though.
    2. Armor. generally to "level quickly" one needs to remain viable. usually this means crafting sets @~lvl 26, v1, and v7
    3. maxing your new character means leveling the undaunted skill line for the passives. This is only accomplished by completing dungeons for the original quest, two a day for the dailies and completing dungeon achievements. this takes significant time to complete.
    4. Also maxing out mean mages skill tree and collecting lorebooks takes time.
    5. The quests you HAVE to do are the main story through to coldharbor and Cadwells Silver to grind effectively. This will give you the need skillpoints with the undaunted dungeons and the occasional skyshard run. All other quests are unnecessary.

Other than that grind your heart out! >:) For reference I leveled my last alt from 1-50 in 20 hours including completing the main story and coldharbour quests.
    Edited by Cuyler on August 5, 2015 8:09PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Kloud
    Kloud
    ✭✭✭
    I always grind to v1 then do the main quest and cads silver then I grind to v14 in cads gold and cryodiil caves and end up with enough skill points to have a decent build
  • Uriel_Nocturne
    Uriel_Nocturne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kloud wrote: »
    I always grind to v1 then do the main quest and cads silver then I grind to v14 in cads gold and cryodiil caves and end up with enough skill points to have a decent build
    How long/where do you go to grind from lvl3 to VR1?

Because I just started my next characters, and I want to get them to VR1 as quickly as possible. :)

twitch.tv/vampire_nox