Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

Pc build for eso

Mojmir
Mojmir
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
As the title says,this would be for my daughter to play eso,I'd like to run it smooth on high but keeping a budget of 400-$500

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nQPMHx
  • ChiefofCereal
    This computer seems like it could run the perfectly at High settings and a steady 60 FPS+
    AMD Quad-Cores aren't nearly as good as intel ones (due to AMD only providing 4 logical cores and 2 physical cores instead of 4 physical cores), but I've googled around and have seen very similar builds to this one running this game pretty smoothly.

With this type of build I'd recommend completely removing shadows to help keep the game run smoothly in really open areas and cities (shadows are a huge weight on your GPU), and that should keep the game run without any issues. Also, since the CPU you picked will most likely only have 2 physical cores, I'd recommend adjusting the view distance.

Besides that, you should be able to have all other settings on max.
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to provide some general tips that may or may not assist you:
    • Don't buy AMD, and don't buy ATI; performance per dollar is simply lower, especially in games. Almost always has been. Refer to cpu-game test sites for evidence, if desired.
    • You don't need the latest and greatest to run ESO, much less any game. Graphics haven't really improved since 2004. My 8 year old PC runs Crysis and anything else that has come out, basically maxed.
    • The best bang for your buck is usually to grab the entry-to-mid-level, current Intel quad core, and a very strong, single-GPU NVidia card (which can be had for 350 dollars or so today).
    • You'll then need a decent motherboard (150 dollar range) and a quality PSU if you want that CPU and GPU to actually work as intended.
    • RAM. Don't worry about RAM. It's RAM. It doesn't do anything special anymore. Grab 4-8 GB of what your motherboard needs. Anymore than 8 for a gaming machine is a waste of money. No game + windows will draw that much. I've no idea why anyone would try to game while leaving Photoshop running in the background.
    • By the way: Don't skimp on any major part, because if you do, later on you'll regret it. There's no point hand building a new machine if you're going to need to turn down settings in a game with average graphics.
    Edited by rb2001 on August 4, 2015 8:09PM
  • ChiefofCereal
    rb2001 wrote: »
    I'm going to provide some general tips that may or may not assist you:
    • Don't buy AMD, and don't buy ATI; performance per dollar is simply lower, especially in games. Almost always has been. Refer to cpu-game test sites for evidence, if desired.
    • You don't need the latest and greatest to run ESO, much less any game. Graphics haven't really improved since 2004. My 8 year old PC runs Crysis and anything else that has come out, basically maxed.
    • The best bang for your buck is usually to grab the entry-to-mid-level, current Intel quad core, and a very strong, single-GPU NVidia card (which can be had for 350 dollars or so today).
    • You'll then need a decent motherboard (150 dollar range) and a quality PSU if you want that CPU and GPU to actually work as intended.
    • RAM. Don't worry about RAM. It's RAM. It doesn't do anything special anymore. Grab 4-8 GB of what your motherboard needs. Anymore than 8 for a gaming machine is a waste of money. No game + windows will draw that much. I've no idea why anyone would try to game while leaving Photoshop running in the background.

Although I agree with what you're saying, the OP needed to get this PC on a budget, and this build should run the game fine on the settings I suggested in my reply.
  • Kloud
    Kloud
    ✭✭✭
    I play on a msi titan laptop it has sli duel nVidia gtx 970ms i7 3ghz cpu 16gbs ram and 6gbs of vram I can play every thing on ultra but my fps has still drop to as low as 30 in massive fights but normally runs around 80
    Edited by Kloud on August 4, 2015 8:13PM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    All in all a good and decent setup considering the price.
    I do have some concerns bout the case. Although I like the idea bout putting the psu on the bottom and having extra air-inlets on top, it might give issues with the length of some cables. That is something pcpartpicker never checks for you.

As you are below your budget you might want to consider going for an intel CPU (and so also a different mainboard). It doesn't change a lot for ESO on its own, but Intel does have a better management of threads.

I personally would not get a mainboard with an onboard VGA if you are not going to use it. No matter the price, you are paying for the chip and connector while not using it and never will!. So either with AMDS or Intel I would go for a simular priced mainboard that has e.g. more ram-slots (so you can upgrade more easily in the future).

Last of all, a small remark. You also need mouse, keyboard, monitor and speakers or headset (so hope you realised that). Dunno if you wanna reuse old stuff you or she allready has, but keep in mind that the GPU doesn't have a VGA-connector.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys,I had originally looked at Intel but it's a price jump,the Intel gs3258 was my original choice as well as a gtx750i vid card.but the vid card I picked had more vram,which seemed like it would help run the game smoother with trials and large group content. Sadly yes pcpartpicker is a good way to start a build but not always insightful when you get the pcs together and find the flaws. This build is a on a budget but it should also have upgrade capability down the road.as for peripherals I'm set on those, I will get a monitor on my own.currently we're using an imac with a 5670 card running it on medium settings and everything else off,still getting .some lag in big towns and fights.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies guys,I had originally looked at Intel but it's a price jump,the Intel gs3258 was my original choice as well as a gtx750i vid card.but the vid card I picked had more vram,which seemed like it would help run the game smoother with trials and large group content. Sadly yes pcpartpicker is a good way to start a build but not always insightful when you get the pcs together and find the flaws. This build is a on a budget but it should also have upgrade capability down the road.as for peripherals I'm set on those, I will get a monitor on my own.currently we're using an imac with a 5670 card running it on medium settings and everything else off,still getting .some lag in big towns and fights.

Lag in big towns and cyrodil is still to expected with this build. I'm running a stronger setup and had some lag and crashes in big towns. For example today in rawlkha. I was running through a bunch of people using skills for nothing. Got an email in and people where talking in chat. The game crashed. It has to do more with some bad parts of the engine. If it wasn't that I want them to make more content I would demand they would redo their engine!

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if I went with a quad Co e processor,which all seem to have graphics already there,why even have an extra graphics card? I been out of the building loops for awhile,apologies in advance.does the onboard graphics not cut it?
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/j6vHFT moved some things around, and subbed some others
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    So if I went with a quad Co e processor,which all seem to have graphics already there,why even have an extra graphics card? I been out of the building loops for awhile,apologies in advance.does the onboard graphics not cut it?

That will not perform even close to a dedicated graphics card. Has been a pipedream forever. You absolutely need a powerful as you can get external GPU. No way about it.

Onboard graphics chips, wherever they appear, are absolute rubbish.

Also, no idea if you are still checking this thread, but I would strongly advise against that GPU.

I see it all the time, and have no idea why people always skimp on the GPU. You can put the most powerful CPU and every other component, and yet your GPU will bottleneck everything.

It is the all pass access gate to performance. You can hook a super computer up to a GT 740 and expect rubbish game performance. Get something beastly. Top single Nvidia Geforce. Then 5 years from now it will still be performing well, and you won't be hating your GPU all these years and watching your system lag.
    Edited by rb2001 on August 20, 2015 8:29PM
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still check in around, thanks for replies
  • Dekkameron
    Dekkameron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If only you lived in the UK, i could sell you my old pc that runs ESO fine on high and i'm flogging it for £200
    - Veteran Combat Librarian -
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah unfortunately my budget is super low,I'm looking I5 4670 and a 750i card that's the highest I can go ATM.partpicker is a godsend for this BTW
    Edited by Mojmir on August 22, 2015 12:01PM