Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

Is Being a Werewolf/Vampire Good or Bad?

IOUAT
IOUAT
✭✭✭
any advice on the 2? trying to figure out if i should become a werewolf or a vampire are they worth it?
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Generally, Werewolf for stamina users, Vampire for magicka. It completely depends on your build whether the negatives are worth the bonuses you'll gain.

I know some vampires carry around fire resist jewelry to compensate for boss fights, not sure if that's really needed or not though if you could get by with champ point allocation and health food.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Mugetsu wrote: »
    any advice on the 2? trying to figure out if i should become a werewolf or a vampire are they worth it?

any pros and cons .. do the pros out weigh the cons or cons putweigh the pros?
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Generally, Werewolf for stamina users, Vampire for magicka. It completely depends on your build whether the negatives are worth the bonuses you'll gain.

I know some vampires carry around fire resist jewelry to compensate for boss fights, not sure if that's really needed or not though if you could get by with champ point allocation and health food.

how do u mean? get by with champ point and health food?
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a PvE only sorcerer. I tried vampire for a while and it was not my preference. The fire negatives were not worth the benefits for me. I went ahead and fully leveled and tried all of the perks. I got the achievement for maximizing vampire, and then sought the cure. I know many people love it, but its not for me.

I have a nightblade, and have werewolf there. Its not fully leveled yet, but the negatives are much less than the benefits.

• The_Boze
    The_Boze
    Here are my two cents on the two. As of right now if you don't want any negative effects for werewolf for the passive stamina recovery. With that said with the next update they will not be as useful in my opinion, because you must have atleast one of the werewolf or vampire abilities slotted to receive the bonuses. That means if you are a werewolf you are losing an ultimate spot. I think they will still be useful in pvp, but i don't think the vampire abilities will be worth it if you are mostly pve. So if you want them go for it, because right now they are not bad. personally i do not like the more fire damage as a vampire. I am playing without either one for the simple fact i won't have to account for that change with the next update. Hope this helps you out.
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    The_Boze wrote: »
    Here are my two cents on the two. As of right now if you don't want any negative effects for werewolf for the passive stamina recovery. With that said with the next update they will not be as useful in my opinion, because you must have atleast one of the werewolf or vampire abilities slotted to receive the bonuses. That means if you are a werewolf you are losing an ultimate spot. I think they will still be useful in pvp, but i don't think the vampire abilities will be worth it if you are mostly pve. So if you want them go for it, because right now they are not bad. personally i do not like the more fire damage as a vampire. I am playing without either one for the simple fact i won't have to account for that change with the next update. Hope this helps you out.

whats the next update going to do?
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    The next update is going to make it so you have to slot the werewolf transformation as your ultimate in order to get the extra 15% stamina recovery. Currently, you get that just by virtue of being a werewolf, which is overpowered in that it gives players no reason not to be a werewolf (hence the change).

Vampires will also have to have a vampire ability slotted on their ability bars to get their passive bonuses.

On the other hand, the extra damage taken from fire (vampire) and poison (werewolves) is being significantly reduced, so that should be easier to deal with.

• IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Allyhoo811 wrote: »
    The next update is going to make it so you have to slot the werewolf transformation as your ultimate in order to get the extra 15% stamina recovery. Currently, you get that just by virtue of being a werewolf, which is overpowered in that it gives players no reason not to be a werewolf (hence the change).

Vampires will also have to have a vampire ability slotted on their ability bars to get their passive bonuses.

On the other hand, the extra damage taken from fire (vampire) and poison (werewolves) is being significantly reduced, so that should be easier to deal with.

for real less fire and poison how much?
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have a few vamps and werewolves. I really enjoy being a vampire, but fire is my worst enemy. I'm currently a vet4, so you can survive the extra damage taken from fire.

Are you sure about that?

I am a vampire 100% stam and use "Drain Essence" :
    •Player recovers 150% of the damage as Health and Stamina every 1 second

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    I have a few vamps and werewolves. I really enjoy being a vampire, but fire is my worst enemy. I'm currently a vet4, so you can survive the extra damage taken from fire.

Are you sure about that?

What is drain essence unlocked? .. and so ur saying is ur under a vet 4 ur doomed? Cause I'm level 50
  • ForgottenHeretic
    Drain essence is the first ability you get, and no you are not doomed under veteran levels, i've been a vampire since 27 and managed around the fire damage
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure about that?

What is drain essence unlocked? .. and so ur saying is ur under a vet 4 ur doomed? Cause I'm level 50

I'm sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone. I was trying to say, the fire is not really that bad; I got my vampire when i was level 8 and now I'm level v4.

I think Drain Essence is the very first skill you unlocked. When I am in danger I use that and it recovers my health and stam.

• Willy8257
    Willy8257
    As a vampire sorc, i find the cons to be very managable (even at stage 4). Any fire using enemies in pve are always my first target and my clannfear will soak up most if not all of the fire damage, and if i do take fire damage drain essence heals like crazy. In pvp i always slot mist form so if i get hit by a fire siege weapon i can use it to negate any residual fire damage. Fire ballistas will 1 shot a stage 4 vampire, but if you have mist form and the undeath passive, it will only take about 1/2 your health. And then there is the decreased health regen, but thats a joke bc vamps have such great self-healing potential w/ drain and devouring bats.

I can imagine though without a clannfear to draw agro, fire users in pve would be a pain
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Drain essence is the first ability you get, and no you are not doomed under veteran levels, i've been a vampire since 27 and managed around the fire damage

how have u managed id like to know so i can also manage
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure about that?

I'm sorry, didn't mean to mislead anyone. I was trying to say, the fire is not really that bad; I got my vampire when i was level 8 and now I'm level v4.

I think Drain Essence is the very first skill you unlocked. When I am in danger I use that and it recovers my health and stam.

i see so just use that ability and it should help out ?
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Willy8257 wrote: »
    As a vampire sorc, i find the cons to be very managable (even at stage 4). Any fire using enemies in pve are always my first target and my clannfear will soak up most if not all of the fire damage, and if i do take fire damage drain essence heals like crazy. In pvp i always slot mist form so if i get hit by a fire siege weapon i can use it to negate any residual fire damage. Fire ballistas will 1 shot a stage 4 vampire, but if you have mist form and the undeath passive, it will only take about 1/2 your health. And then there is the decreased health regen, but thats a joke bc vamps have such great self-healing potential w/ drain and devouring bats.

I can imagine though without a clannfear to draw agro, fire users in pve would be a pain

i totally forgot about the slow regen :9 ... what is mist form and undeath passive? is drain also an ability? sorry for all the questions just trying to learnas muchas i can before i decide to become vamp or wolf
  • ChiefofCereal
    Vampire is a big no no if you plan on doing any end-game combat. Almost all dungeons have some sort of fire damage, and every caster (unless you're a healer) uses a flame staff, so you're going to have a bad time. A lot of people in this thread are saying to use drain essence, but some of the fire damage in PvE and sometimes PvP will just one-shot you. So as a vampire you're forced to put more attributes into health in order to counter-act the extra fire damage you'll be taking, but if you do that then you'll have less of an attribute that you should have instead. Do yourself a favor and stay away from being a vampire, it's cool at first but if you plan on doing any end-game content, then you'll have a bad time when you get hit by fire damage.

Werewolves are super good if you're a DPS with a stam build or even a tank. There's really only 1 dungeon in the game that has poison damage (so being a Werewolf there can be a bit of a pain if you're a tank for that one dungeon), but besides that the buff to your stamina is SUPER helpful.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing I like about vampires is The Ultimate Morphed to "Devouring Swarm", when used it drains health from targets and replenishes yours.

I'm not a good fighter, but with my vampire skills I can be in the middle of 20 zombies and still make it out alive.

• IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Vampire is a big no no if you plan on doing any end-game combat. Almost all dungeons have some sort of fire damage, and every caster (unless you're a healer) uses a flame staff, so you're going to have a bad time. A lot of people in this thread are saying to use drain essence, but some of the fire damage in PvE and sometimes PvP will just one-shot you. So as a vampire you're forced to put more attributes into health in order to counter-act the extra fire damage you'll be taking, but if you do that then you'll have less of an attribute that you should have instead. Do yourself a favor and stay away from being a vampire, it's cool at first but if you plan on doing any end-game content, then you'll have a bad time when you get hit by fire damage.

Werewolves are super good if you're a DPS with a stam build or even a tank. There's really only 1 dungeon in the game that has poison damage (so being a Werewolf there can be a bit of a pain if you're a tank for that one dungeon), but besides that the buff to your stamina is SUPER helpful.

oh im sad now :/
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    Another thing I like about vampires is The Ultimate Morphed to "Devouring Swarm", when used it drains health from targets and replenishes yours.

I'm not a good fighter, but with my vampire skills I can be in the middle of 20 zombies and still make it out alive.

sounds like a good plan u have ^_^
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭

any idea when this update buffing the vamps and werewolves will be coming out?
  • ChiefofCereal

I don't know what update you're referring to. I don't think either have been previewed to getting buffs.
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭

I don't know what update you're referring to. I don't think either have been previewed to getting buffs.

i heardthey were supposed to be reducing the fire damage and posion damabge the vampire and werewolf takes
  • ChiefofCereal

i heardthey were supposed to be reducing the fire damage and posion damabge the vampire and werewolf takes

I really don't know where you heard that, but with the newest patch on the PTS there's no changes to either so I'm going to assume that they changes you heard about won't be coming anytime soon.
  • ForgottenHeretic

I play as a sorcerer so I summon a familiar and sit back with ranged attacks against fire users, I also use a AoE spell to cause damage and then drain essences to gain health and stun them at the same time, before getting close though I just dodge every attack I can, anything you can get with flame resistance will help as well, also as vamp_emily said the ultimate can be morphed (as I have done) to give you health for every enemy it hits. The new changes are reducing the fire damage from 40% to 25% I believe so it wont be as much of a problem anyway.

I don't know if there is another meaning to end game content but if it just refers to coldharbour then don't be sad, I managed it. I don't know what its like for the other classes but not every vampire that completes the game is a sorcerer. Being a vampire just takes a different approach to playing the game but its far from impossible to do
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭

I play as a sorcerer so I summon a familiar and sit back with ranged attacks against fire users, I also use a AoE spell to cause damage and then drain essences to gain health and stun them at the same time, before getting close though I just dodge every attack I can, anything you can get with flame resistance will help as well, also as vamp_emily said the ultimate can be morphed (as I have done) to give you health for every enemy it hits. The new changes are reducing the fire damage from 40% to 25% I believe so it wont be as much of a problem anyway.

I don't know if there is another meaning to end game content but if it just refers to coldharbour then don't be sad, I managed it. I don't know what its like for the other classes but not every vampire that completes the game is a sorcerer. Being a vampire just takes a different approach to playing the game but its far from impossible to do

whichi familiar do u use? the clannfear or winged twilight?and which aoe ability do u use?,,and where do i buy flame resitant stuff? :/ never even seen any
  • ForgottenHeretic
    I usually use the volatile familiar as the twilight doesn't keep them away from me, and I use liquid lightning and drain essence while the familiar keeps them busy. I was lucky enough to find a good flame resistance piece but if you are any good with runes you can create your own glyphs to enchant your armour (or ask someone to help you)
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    I usually use the volatile familiar as the twilight doesn't keep them away from me, and I use liquid lightning and drain essence while the familiar keeps them busy. I was lucky enough to find a good flame resistance piece but if you are any good with runes you can create your own glyphs to enchant your armour (or ask someone to help you)

so u cant just buy flame resistant peices?
  • ForgottenHeretic
    You might be able to, I couldn't say, personally I've either found good armour or made it but I've only come across one neck piece that had something like 561 flame resistance, if you want to buy it would be best (if you are in a guild) to check the guild store or ask someone in the guild to craft you something
  • IOUAT
    IOUAT
    ✭✭✭
    You might be able to, I couldn't say, personally I've either found good armour or made it but I've only come across one neck piece that had something like 561 flame resistance, if you want to buy it would be best (if you are in a guild) to check the guild store or ask someone in the guild to craft you something

oh i see.everytime i go to a guild store in towns theres nothing there