Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network service interruption has been resolved. Thank you for your patience.

A few more questions

Benie
Benie
✭✭✭
I have a few more questions to ask;
-Player housing? At this point at the game (I'm currently Level 21), I'm really doubting it.
-How does one go about getting better gear (besides making it myself)? I've tried armor/weapon merchants, but I can't find what I need. They have no rings, and weaponsmiths have no bows. Where do I go?
-Is it possible to put a Soul Steal enchantment on a weapon (like in Skyrim)? Or is my only option the Soul tree (which I have no room in my bar for its ability, as everything's going on my rotation)?
--Char info updated as of March 23rd, 2016 - PC NA--
Benie - VR1 Argonian Stam DragonKnight (2H Sword/Bow/WW)
Beniee - VR3 Nord Mag Sorcerer (Destruction Staff)

Well-known hotbar button spammer

Best Answers

• Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    -Player Housing does not currently exist in ESO. It may be added in the very distant future.

-You can get better gear as loot drops, from dungeons, by spending AP earned in PVP. However, your best bet is to probably purchase it from guild traders or ask guildmates to make it for you (usually they just ask that you provide the mats).

-There is no soul steal weapon enchantment that I know of. But there is a passive in the Soul Magic tree that has a small % chance of filling a soul gem with each kill. Because you kill so many things in the game, once you have this passive you never have to worry about filling soul gems again.
    Answer ✓
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need to be in a guild to purchase items from the guild traders scattered throughout Tamriel. You only have to be in a guild to sell things at their trader.

Also, you will probably want to go ahead and join the Mage's, Fighter's, and Undaunted Guilds and begin leveling up their skill lines. There is no reason not to join them and you can be a member of all three at one time. There are some really good abilities in all of the guild skill lines and they take a good bit of time to level up (mostly b/c they each have a special leveling mechanic), so starting earlier is better.
    Answer ✓
  • fractalknight
    fractalknight
    ✭✭
    You get bows from the woodworkers/carpenters. Some merchants sell unidentified items and you might get something good.
    Tarkus Aquila - Imperial Templar
    Klaaz - Khajit Nightblade
    Fractiz - Altmer Sorcerer
    Jonsir Vheti - Dunmer Dragonknight
    Kills-With-Grin - Argonian Dragonknight

Myrddin the Mystic - Breton Warden

PS4 ESOTU Adventurer since June 2015
    Answer ✓
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭
    Benie wrote: »
    Actually, I do have one more question before I wrap this up. This is directed to Allyhoo811.
    You mentioned how I'll eventually get a passive in the Soul Magic tree to give me a percentage to auto-fill Soul Gems. Would you know how many times I would need to use the ability in my bar until I get this passive?
    I really want it, but as I said.. it's going to be a slight issue due to taking away one of what I feel a vital rotation key (whatever that key is).

And the sooner I get this passive, the better.

The Soul Magic tree has a unique leveling mechanic -- it levels up by doing the main story (prophet) quests and currently caps at Level 6. The skill you will want is called Soul Lock. The first skill point gives you a 5% chance of automatically filling a soul gem when killing an enemy and the second gives you a 10% chance. The 5% passive has been fine for me...You kill so much in the game that eventually all your soul gems fill and the 10% bonus just seems excessive.

Just keep doing the main quests and you will be able to get the passive, no need to slot anything on your bar.
    Answer ✓
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    -Thought so. Just they're a thing in Skyrim. So, wishful thinking.

-What if I'm not in a guild (or even in one of the NPC Guilds)?

-That sounds interesting. Just I've had several issues not having a filled Soul Gem when I die.

• Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm... well, as a DK, joining the Mages Guild seems... pointless (I'm no Mage)? I had considered joining the Fighter's Guild, but I don't know what they're like (as in a real guild where you have to be on for events).
    Or are they like the ones in Skyrim who offer an interesting side-storyline that end up making you the leader of their organizations?

Personally, I'd join the Thieves Guild (if it existed). Because I would be taking advantage of the Skeleton Key on those locks.
    Edited by Benie on August 3, 2015 7:13AM

• lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... well, as a DK, joining the Mages Guild seems... pointless (I'm no Mage)? I had considered joining the Fighter's Guild, but I don't know what they're like (as in a real guild where you have to be on for events).
    Or are they like the ones in Skyrim who offer an interesting side-storyline that end up making you the leader of their organizations?

Personally, I'd join the Thieves Guild (if it existed). Because I would be taking advantage of the Skeleton Key on those locks.

Both guild's skill lines are rather pointless imo, or maybe even at my late level I still haven't found a good use for them... but joining the guilds and doing the quests is well worth it, you get skill poitns along the way and there's never a good reason to turn skill points down, you should just do both for that alone.

Honestly for your sake of ease of leveling you should just do every single quest you possibly can, or else you'll find yourself underleveled later on. If you choose not to do one of the guilds or either of them then you will fall drastically far behind. This goes even for regular non-guild side quests... just do EVERYTHING, or you will regret it...

Also wanted to note, DK can make good use of magicka, don't let the title "knight" fool you. I use my DK as a Flame Staff Mage predominantly, too many good passives not to really (Especially if Dark Elf). In fact from my perspective the DK is more of a mage than a fighter type character.

**Also I feel you on the Thieves Guild, here's to hoping it gets added - or atleast a different type of Thief based clan. (Doubt there'd be a Skeleton Key in the game, for mechanic reasons, would make lockpicking redundant.)
    Edited by lagrue on August 3, 2015 8:30AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Suisyo
    Suisyo
    ✭✭
    Even though there's no thieves guild, there still is the Ledgermane (spelling?) skill line that unlocks when you steal...not that this is much of a consolation though. But in case you hadn't seen it yet.

Also, as was mentioned it's good to start early, particularly the mages guild because the primary way to lvl it is by collecting the lorebooks spread around the world. As you explore and find these they increase your mages guild lvl. Idk how that works if you haven't joined them already since I started early, if either you don't see the books or when you do they count towards nothing?
    Altmer Templar & Bosmer Sorcerer
    Ebonheart Pact
    Xbox One - NA
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. I see. Thanks all for the responses. I wish I could say Yes to answering all of my questions.

• Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. I see. Thanks all for the responses. I wish I could say Yes to answering all of my questions.

instead of saying yes to all. I would recommend just choosing the one or two top answers. you can still show your gratitude to all by clicking the buttons below their post (marking them as insightfull, awesome or agree)
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Benie
    Benie
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I do have one more question before I wrap this up. This is directed to Allyhoo811.
    You mentioned how I'll eventually get a passive in the Soul Magic tree to give me a percentage to auto-fill Soul Gems. Would you know how many times I would need to use the ability in my bar until I get this passive?
    I really want it, but as I said.. it's going to be a slight issue due to taking away one of what I feel a vital rotation key (whatever that key is).

• lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally got the passive and never once used a single Soul Magic ability in my ability bar, it just kinda progressed naturally. You should have Soul Magic to 6 (Max) by around the end of the main quest. I think you get the first level of the ability around 3-4 (5% to capture soul) - then when you hit Soul Magic 6 you can buy the upgrade which is 10%. - Soul Magic maxes at 6 though, way earlier than other skill lines so it shouldn't be a big deal to level it.

It's a pretty useful skill for early players - but by the time you hit veteran one though you're gonna see soul gems become extremely common - I have 70 on me at any given time.
    Edited by lagrue on August 4, 2015 12:36AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    Suisyo wrote: »
    Even though there's no thieves guild, there still is the Ledgermane (spelling?) skill line that unlocks when you steal...not that this is much of a consolation though. But in case you hadn't seen it yet.

Also, as was mentioned it's good to start early, particularly the mages guild because the primary way to lvl it is by collecting the lorebooks spread around the world. As you explore and find these they increase your mages guild lvl. Idk how that works if you haven't joined them already since I started early, if either you don't see the books or when you do they count towards nothing?

in regards the the bolded section. Any books you have read before joining will count towards the skill line exp.
  • Blackhorne
    Blackhorne
    ✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »

Both guild's skill lines are rather pointless imo, or maybe even at my late level I still haven't found a good use for them...
    The Intimidating Presence (FG) and Persuasive Will (MG) passives are quite useful if you want to avoid the more tedious parts of some quests.
  • Suisyo
    Suisyo
    ✭✭
    Suisyo wrote: »

in regards the the bolded section. Any books you have read before joining will count towards the skill line exp.

Thank you for clearing that up. ^-^
    Altmer Templar & Bosmer Sorcerer
    Ebonheart Pact
    Xbox One - NA