The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Sword and shield skill line Absorb magic.

ThretZ-92
ThretZ-92
I recently morphed Defensive Posture into Absorb magic but I don't seem to regen health when a sorcerer hits me with magic, is this ability bugged?
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You have to be blocking to trigger it, if you are blocking and still not being healed them I'd send in a bug ticket.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • ThretZ-92
    ThretZ-92
    I will give it go again. If it don't work I will send ticket.
    Thanks
  • Blackjak-33
    Blackjak-33
    ✭✭✭
    Does this ability have to be recast after it procs I'm assuming? If so is there a way to know when it procs in the heat of battle?
  • deathscythe
    deathscythe
    ✭✭
    combat log on pc. console probably not
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless the severly changed the functionality of the skill on console compared to PC, which i dont think they did, Aborb Magic has nothing to do with blocking apart from its passive benefit to block cost and effectiveness.

Activating the skill applies a 30s buff on the player, that will absorb the next magic projectile hitting him, regardless of him blocking or even being on the same bar the skill is slotted on. Then it is consumed, the damage prevented and the player is healed for a certain amount of his maximum health.
    It is important to know that the absorbed damage is capped. While we dont know the value on live, on PTS the tooltip actually displays the maximum amount of damage absorbed. It was around 7k for my charackter there, but I am not sure what exactly is factored into the calculation. From what i remember, if the damage of the projectile exceeds the threshild, aborb magic has no effect on that spell. This becomes apparent when trying to absorb meteors for example, or hard hitting crystal frags.

Also keep in mind the ability only works on spell PROJECTILES so a daedric curse for example wont trigger the effect and damahe you like it is not there at all.

I hope this helps.
    Jo'Khaljor
  • Ahzek
    Ahzek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a personal note i found the reflect morph way more useful, especially since it has no cap on the damage reflected and is a great tool to counter hard hitting spell projectiles, such as meteor, frags and overload.

Keep in mind however, that ,regardless of morph, many skilled caster will use a staff light affac right before casting their spell, triggering your buff and making the way clear for their big hitter, unless you instantly recast your defensive posture (or its morph).
    Jo'Khaljor