Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Healing in plate armor

Ozgarski
Ozgarski
Soul Shriven
Hi All Oz here,

Can you have a good healing armor set made out of plate armor? New to eso, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Oz
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ozgarski wrote: »
    Hi All Oz here,

Can you have a good healing armor set made out of plate armor? New to eso, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Oz

A good healer needs to stay alive (or be atleast the last man standing) while healing as much as you can.

Healign scales from the total amount of magicka.
    You can apply a magicka increasing rune to all types of armor, but light armor also gives passives to increase the magicka.

survivabillity comes from total amount of health, health regen and armor. Heavy armor has a higher armor rating and comes with passives that icnrease survivability.

So it is all bout balance and what method you choose to accomplish both goals.

As magicka increases your hps (heals per second), it is actually better to have a lot of magicka and not so much health. then it is way easier to outheal yourself. Specially cause a high armor rating can compensate for the lack of health by reducing incoming damage. So all in all, it is not only possible, but also better than a light armor set. I would recommend to get magicka runes on it and pick a set that is made for healing/magicka. So e.g. the crafted set seducers or magnuss gift.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Aett_Thorn
    Aett_Thorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All Oz here,

Thanks, Oz

Yes, you can. However, you will be better in light armor. But what you can do is do two heavy armor pieces (I like chest for the protection and shoulders for the look) and then the rest light armor for the passives. If you do it right, you can look very well protected but still have all of the right bonuses.
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All Oz here,

Thanks, Oz

It's not optimal but sure, you can. You're gaining a lot more armor but you're losing out on magicka regen. So I'd recommend a 5 piece heavy seducers set, then 2 piece healer's habit + 3 healer's habit jewelry, or warlock's.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Ozgarski
    Ozgarski
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the all insight, all good ideas that I am sure tested and true. Dumb follow up question but I have to ask. I enjoy running around with a one hand shield combo. Once I hit level 15 should I dedicate to a healing staff for my other toolbar or can one heal with sword and shield? Or again is it one of those that you can do it but just not as effect situations?

Thanks, Oz
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the all insight, all good ideas that I am sure tested and true. Dumb follow up question but I have to ask. I enjoy running around with a one hand shield combo. Once I hit level 15 should I dedicate to a healing staff for my other toolbar or can one heal with sword and shield? Or again is it one of those that you can do it but just not as effect situations?

Thanks, Oz

Are you a templar? If you're healing then breath of life is the only heal you really need and can be put on any bar. The main reason to use the resto staff still as a templar is for heavy attacks to get magicka back. So when you're not using magicka you can switch to whatever to be a hybrid.

Full heals - mainly in resto staff mode, unless you switching to 2h or dual wield for bonus spell power

Hybrid heal/DPS - probably best to do destro staff/resto staff, DPS when you're not healing as much then switch to resto staff to get magicka back whenever needed

Hybrid heal/tank aka healtank - sword&board / resto staff, tanking in sword&board but still have breath of life on your bar, resto staff is regens, repentence, things like that to get magicka back faster then switch back to sword&board
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Allyhoo811
    Allyhoo811
    ✭✭✭

Thanks, Oz

If you are a Templar you can theoretically heal with any weapon equipped, because the Templar has a dedicated healing class skill line. If you are any other class you will have to use the restoration staff to be an effective healer. Even as a Templar healer, I prefer to have a restoration staff equipped for one of my weapons for the extra diversity of heals and the fact that the resto staff heavy attacks restore magicka.

Edited by Allyhoo811 on July 29, 2015 10:00PM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    A common mistake is to see magicka and stamina as "just" two pools of mana. The total amount also increase spelldamage (magicka) and weapondamage. Spelldamage is the amount of damage (or healing) from all skills that use magicka, and also the effectiveness off staves (both destro and resto). Weapondamage is the amount of damage from all skills that use stamina and alsot the effective of all weapons but staves.

So using sword and board in a magicka setup is less viable. Does this make sword and board useless on a healerbuild?? no, but you will not getting a lot out of the sword and board either.
    Still, many people have a playstyle where they dont use the damage of the weaponattacks and just spam skills for damage (or healing), and use the weapon only for blocking power attacks. For that sword and shield is most effective in any situation. So if thats your playstyle, there is nothing wrong with it. But know what it does and doesn't ;)
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU