The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What is grinding and why?

Dantarius
Dantarius
Soul Shriven
So I hear all these things like "grinding gives --XP per hour" but whenever I go to these spots I get next to no XP from kills!
Why is that?
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. What level are you? If you're too high or too low a level for a certain area, XP gains will be minimal. That, and grinding for XP isn't as glorious or rewarding as some videos or posts might claim.
  • Equilibriator
    Grinding in my mind means doing the exact same thing over and over again to get a "reward" that is obtained by doing the exact same thing over and over again (repeating something to the point of tedium for a reward rather than the fun of playing. It stops being fun, feels more like a job).

So in the context of what you are saying, the reward is a level and the grind is killing monsters over and over again.

If i said, for example, im going to grind this dungeon till i get a certain item. I would mean im going to do the dungeon over and over again till i get the item. Im not doing it for the thrill of the dungeon, which will get old fast. Im doing it for the thrill of the reward. for that moment when i finally get my shiny and feel ive earned it.

much like working a real life job for the monetary payout, not because you enjoy working, you just want the money.
    Edited by Equilibriator on July 29, 2015 2:31PM
  • Dantarius
    Dantarius
    Soul Shriven
    I'm Veteran rank 9
    And I'm killing enemies around my level or higher, yet no change.
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    That's odd. I would think you should get at least some XP if you stay at it for a while. Though I've heard XP gains are dismal at higher Vet ranks and the grind begins to slow to nearly a halt around v10-14. So I'm not sure. :/
  • poughe
    poughe
    I grinded on my first VR14..there are many things you have to watch out for.

1) Make sure if you are reading or watching about a grind spot...that you see how old the post is a lot of these "grind" spots have been nerfed to give less xp rewards

2) You are Veteran Rank now the XP games besides the very popular grind spots can be tedious some people on average will spend over an hour for 1 VR rank depending on where you are.

3) Those videos you watch are "ideal" situations to grind which would be being in a 2-3 man group and NO ONE else being around but, 9 times out of 10 if you are going to a good grind spot there can be tons of people there which in return will diminish your gains.

...Any other questions don't hesitate to ask
    VR-14 Altmer Templar - Healer/DPS (AD)
    VR-1 Nord Nightblade - Tank (AD)
    VR-1 Altmer Sorcerer