The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Help with a sorc build.

jshaud
jshaud
Soul Shriven
Hey everyone I just picked this game up a few days ago and am looking to build a dps spec. I'm currently lvl 10 high elf. I'm looking for pointers on where to put my skill and ability points, currently I've stacked them all on magicka with some into storm calling and des staff. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Oh, this will be almost entirely for pve.
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    You're headed in the right direction. Since you're only level 10, you don't want to adhere strictly to one "build"; rather, you want to level up all three of your Sorc trees, level up your Mages Guild tree, level up your preferred weapon tree, and level up at least 2 of the three armor trees.

Magicka is a great place to put your attribute points. As a mage, stamina won't benefit you at all. Don't be afraid to throw a few points into Health if you find that survivability is an issue.

Light armor is the way to go for a magicka spec. Buy all the passives in light armor and don't forget to buy your High Elf magicka passives as well. When you can, try to activate a mundus stone that benefits your magicka somehow like the Mage or the Atronach.

Storm Calling is a great DPS tree if you're going for a Lightning Mage build. Pet builds are also good, if you like having an army of little summoned creatures to fight at your side. Definitely pick up Crystal Shards and morph it to Crystal Fragments--it's a great single-target DPS move. Lightning Form (morph to Thundering Presence) is a nice buff to have on at all times. If you want to become a Vampire at a low level (like level 10, for instance), you might want to pick up the Unstable Familiar and morph it to Volatile Familiar. That little creature allowed me to solo the vampire quest (level 38 enemies) as a lowly level 12. He's also very nice to have summoned to keep the heat off of you during battles, especially when you're a low level and only have mediocre armor to protect you. You most certainly want to level up your Mages Guild tree by doing the associated quests and finding lore books scattered throughout the world. From the Mages Guild skill tree, pick up Magelight and morph it to Inner Light. Keep it toggled on, and benefit. If you have room on your bar, Structured Entropy (morph of Entropy, Mages Guild skill) is also a nice DPS skill that buffs spell damage. Eventually, you'll want to acquire Force Shock and then Impulse from your Destro staff skill tree, but for now, Destructive Clench/Reach (morph of first Destro skill) is a good ability.

All in all, just keep leveling. Try new skills, unlock the morphs. Don't be afraid to try different things to see what works best for you; you can always respec later.

Hope that helps

Options
  • jshaud
    jshaud
    Soul Shriven
    This was very helpful. Thank you very much. The crystal shard too was especially needed.
    Options
  • Zsymon
    Zsymon
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just started raising a baby Sorc, and I found a build I am very happy with.

1. Velocious Curse
    2. Crystal Blast
    3. Shattering Prison
    4. Mutagen until you have Hardened Ward
    5. Summon Clannfear

You start a fight by casting Crystal blast on one monster, Velocious Curse on another, and if necessary another Crystal Blast to finish it. If monsters get too close, you cast Shattering Prison. Against boss monsters you cast Clannfear, Y+LMB to send him in, then keep casting 2 Crystal Blasts for every 1 Velocious Curse and 1 Hardened Ward, until the boss is dead. Control any eventual adds with Shattering Prison.

Doesn't matter what weapon you use, I go for restoration staff because I want to level that weapon.

I put all my stat points into magicka, all my light armor pieces are enchanted with magicka as well.

On my second weapon bar I use restoration skills for healing in dungeons, so I can select both damage and healing for dungeon queues.

I use Seducer armor set x5, and 2x Torug's Pact for some spell damage.
    Edited by Zsymon on July 30, 2015 2:17PM
    Options