Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is my build good?

SkepticalGlenn
Khajit/Nightblade
lvl 30
Bow/Restoration staff
Magic - 4
Health-14
Stamina-9
I wear heavy armor
Here is my bow hotkey bar

1.Shadowy Disguise
2. Venom Arrow
3. Snipe
4. Suprise attack
5. Magnum Shot
Ultimate- Bolstering Darkness ( I think I want a more offensive ultimate though, despite this having helped me through some stuff )

Restoration
Healing springs
Blood fountain
Rapid Maneuver
- need advice
- need advice

Khajit has wares
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. Your build seems a little confused. What role are you going for? DPS, Healer, or Tank?

The first thing I noticed was your interesting weapon combination: Bow, a stamina weapon, and Resto Staff, a magicka weapon. Splitting your build between stamina and magicka is generally considered a bad move; you'd benefit greatly, regardless of what role you choose, from focusing your build around just one stat. If you enjoy the Bow and want to keep it, then you're probably looking for a stamina build. If you like the Resto Staff more and/or want to be a Healer, then you're looking at a magicka build.

Next is your attribute point distribution. Looking at this alone, I'd almost assume you wanted to be a Tank. A few points in Health is fine, but it shouldn't be your primary stat if you are a non-Tank role. If you want to be a DPS, then spend your points in either magicka or stamina (depending on what type of DPS you want to be). If you want to be a Healer, then magicka is where you want those points. Whatever you decide, I highly advise against splitting your points among all three attributes; drop a few into health (or a lot, if you want to be a Tank) if you feel the need, then spend ALL of your remaining points in either Stamina OR Magicka (NOT both).

Then we arrive at armor. Again, I'm tempted to assume you're tanking if you're wearing full/mostly heavy armor. If you're not a Tank, then you might want to try on some new armor. For a stamina DPS, 5-7 pieces of medium armor will benefit you most. For a magicka DPS or Healer, 5-7 pieces of light armor is best. You can wear a piece or two of heavy if you'd like, but unless you're tanking, full/mostly heavy armor isn't going to help your build.

Your Bow bar looks decent. Snipe is a must, for sure. All of the bow skills are great; I routinely rotate between them, depending on the situation. If you decide you want a Stamina DPS build and are going to keep the Bow, you might want to try slotting Expert Hunter (Fighters Guild skill) on your bar; it passively increases your weapon critical, which is great for a stamina NB. As for your Ultimate, have you considered going Werewolf? Very "offensive", and WW is perfect for any stamina build (provided you want to go stamina).

Your Resto Bar, again, brings us to the issue of stamina vs magicka. If you're keeping the Bow and choosing stamina, it's probably best to drop the staff and pick up a stamina weapon as your secondary such as 2H or DW (or 1H/Shield, if you want to be a stamina Tank). If you want to keep the staff and make a magicka NB, then you'll definitely want to get rid of the Bow and select a different weapon to take its place; a Destro Staff is a good choice if you want to DPS, and 1H/Shield is still the way to go if you decide to be a magicka Tank (a.k.a "Sap Tank"). Magicka builds can also utilize DW or 2H; even though they are both 'stamina' weapons, 2H and DW also increase your spell power--you just wouldn't be using many (if any) weapon abilities in this case.

There are a couple of other things I could recommend, but I'd have to know what exactly you're going for in terms of role, attribute focus, and weapon preference.

Hope that helps/gives you some ideas
  • SkepticalGlenn
    Hey this helped a lot, and I think i'm a little confused as to what I wanted to be. I'm not used to mmo's too much and that's probably why. I started out wanting to be a dps hunter, and then decided to use dual wielding at lvl 15. But both of these drained my stamina so fast that it made continuously attacking difficult at my low level. I was also having issues finding healers for my group when going into dungeons. So I thought, I could use bow as my main offensive dps while having restoration as back up so that if need be I can heal myself and others. One uses stamina and the other uses magicka which means they wouldn't draw from eachother. I would always have something I could do. And while my stamina was recharging i'll start healing myself and others. I think it sounds good to me but I see where investing limited skill points can be an issue. I also put so much extra points in health because I heard you need high hp when going into cryodile which is what i've been doing alot. I was trying to get it to 10k as fast as I could. As for the heavy armor, Are there hidden benifits to these? I have heavy armor that boosts my stamina i'm pretty sure, so I figured why wouldn't I go for the highest armor rating as long as it doesn't have any negative effects.
    Khajit has wares
  • JJBaboon
    JJBaboon
    ✭✭
    Hmm. Your build seems a little confused. What role are you going for? DPS, Healer, or Tank?

The first thing I noticed was your interesting weapon combination: Bow, a stamina weapon, and Resto Staff, a magicka weapon. Splitting your build between stamina and magicka is generally considered a bad move; you'd benefit greatly, regardless of what role you choose, from focusing your build around just one stat. If you enjoy the Bow and want to keep it, then you're probably looking for a stamina build. If you like the Resto Staff more and/or want to be a Healer, then you're looking at a magicka build.

Next is your attribute point distribution. Looking at this alone, I'd almost assume you wanted to be a Tank. A few points in Health is fine, but it shouldn't be your primary stat if you are a non-Tank role. If you want to be a DPS, then spend your points in either magicka or stamina (depending on what type of DPS you want to be). If you want to be a Healer, then magicka is where you want those points. Whatever you decide, I highly advise against splitting your points among all three attributes; drop a few into health (or a lot, if you want to be a Tank) if you feel the need, then spend ALL of your remaining points in either Stamina OR Magicka (NOT both).

While is generally true that splitting between stamina and magicka for most builds is a bad idea, it is not always a rule for a good nightblade build. There are many out there that use magicka skills from the nightblade class skills in conjunction with bows for secondary weapons. You might not hit as hard as a pure magicka build or stamina build might, but for some pvp as even some pve dps builds it can be incredibly effective as you have 2 resource pools to draw from for your abilities and a simple weapon switch changes your role/capabilities. I realize this is not the norm, but explore your own build ideas and look at some builds online for ideas as well. My build is based on a nightblade assassin build that splits between magicka and stamina and while I have modified it to fit me, it has been incredibly effective thus far. Check it out here to see what I mean:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/62384/class-guide-in-depth-nightblade-class-guide
  • SkepticalGlenn
    JJBaboon wrote: »

While is generally true that splitting between stamina and magicka for most builds is a bad idea, it is not always a rule for a good nightblade build. There are many out there that use magicka skills from the nightblade class skills in conjunction with bows for secondary weapons. You might not hit as hard as a pure magicka build or stamina build might, but for some pvp as even some pve dps builds it can be incredibly effective as you have 2 resource pools to draw from for your abilities and a simple weapon switch changes your role/capabilities. I realize this is not the norm, but explore your own build ideas and look at some builds online for ideas as well. My build is based on a nightblade assassin build that splits between magicka and stamina and while I have modified it to fit me, it has been incredibly effective thus far. Check it out here to see what I mean:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/62384/class-guide-in-depth-nightblade-class-guide

I was think that it would be better to have 2 pools to draw from rather than just stamina and leaving magicka to be useless. Me and you are Pioneers brother! Magicka/Stamina Nightblades FTW!!!
    Khajit has wares
  • Ducere
    Ducere
    Firstly, what fu**** role do you want? What kind of build do you want?! (magicka, stam). if magicka go for ******* light armor, stam= medium armor. ffs don't have a hotbar full of magicka then the other full of stam. btw u need at least 15 points into health (pvp wise)
    "Your concept of me doesn't change anything, but my concept of you."
    • I am not a ESO Pro Grinder:
    • Ducere, DK VR1
    • Beasial, Sorc 29
    • Vocere, NB 38
    eso-skills.com/skill/index.html?z=ID8ElIfR@DJQ2jAD%9PZ6gA@35dfrs1&p=9162917291829192906290729082926292729282929201520162017201820192121312321222124212522142216221712181581358235833&a=351500&j=t&q=007&w=31&m=8
  • SkepticalGlenn
    Ducere wrote: »
    Firstly, what fu**** role do you want? What kind of build do you want?! (magicka, stam). if magicka go for ******* light armor, stam= medium armor. ffs don't have a hotbar full of magicka then the other full of stam. btw u need at least 15 points into health (pvp wise)

Lol my khajit is confused!!!! He doesn't know what he wants to be. But I was intending on Dps/minor in healing. I have 2 pools to draw from so I can continually slam you with bow abilities and if were in danger or the need arises I can suplement healer with my healing as well. 2 pools means I'll never run dry or at least am less likely. When I was Bow/DW I found myself barely using dual wield unless I just got bored of using my bow, I would run out of stamina after using my bow rotation rendering my DW pointless.
    Khajit has wares
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    26-BODY-BUILDER-by-Jian-Xu.jpg
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• JJBaboon
    JJBaboon
    ✭✭
    Ducere wrote: »

This is what I was talking about... Everyone will try and tell you it's impossible. It isn't. At all. As an assassin build it works incredibly well for me to have one bar magicka (mostly) and one bar stamina (again, mostly). This allows me to expend magicka for burst damage in a fast strike, and then retreat with bow in hand with a full bar of stamina to roll/break free and get away to line up another strike.

DON'T LET PEOPLE TELL YOU IS DOESN'T WORK... They are lying because I KNOW it works. Like you said... Be a pioneer. Just because not everyone can do it and it isn't "the best" build doesn't mean it isn't viable or possible, or even the best for you.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    have you checked out Deltia's gaming website ?
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

• Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @SkepticalGlenn Bow/DW is actually a good, popular combo. I can see your reasoning behind the Bow/Resto staff thing; it's perfectly understandable, but the game just makes it really difficult for hybrid builds to be as viable as other builds.

Health is nice and for endgame you'll want upwards of 10k for sure, but you honestly don't have to worry about that right now. Getting a head start with a few points isn't a bad idea; however, for your level, you should put as few points in Health as you think you need to take a few hits from mobs your level and still be able to keep rolling. If any, 10-15 points for now is probably a decent number. When you enter Cyrodiil, you are automatically scaled to level 50. Your abilities, health, stamina, etc. This means that you can go into Cyrodiil at level 10 and be able to actually do damage to the enemies there, which are Vetetan rank 12, and to enemy players ranging in rank. The couple attribute points you put into Health honestly won't make much of a difference, and neither will a few levels (example: playing as a level 31 or level 33 = hardly a game changer). Attribute points also aren't the only means of increasing your health; high level players can get along just fine fine by investing zero points in Health.

The Heavy Armor skill tree provides bonuses to health and health regeneration depending on how many pieces you have equipped. This is what makes heavy armor great for tanking. However, as a DPS or any non-Tank role, there are really no benefits to wearing full/mostly heavy armor; it will actually hurt your build more than it would help. For a stamina NB, going full/mostly medium armor is highly advised, due to the stamina passives in the medium armor tree. You can still achieve a ridiculously high armor rating wearing medium armor, so I wouldn't worry about that.
    I have heavy armor that boosts my stamina i'm pretty sure, so I figured why wouldn't I go for the highest armor rating as long as it doesn't have any negative effects.

The heavy armor itself does not boost your stamina; I guarantee the stamina boost you are referring to is merely an enchantment.

Armor enchantments and armor passives are two completely separate things. When I say that medium armor is better for a stamina build, I am referring to the passive abilities that you can unlock in the medium armor skill tree located in your Skills menu. You can spend skill points in an armor tree, just like you do in your Nightblade and weapon ability trees, to unlock certain benefits to wearing a specific type of armor. Medium armor passives provide benefits to stamina, light armor to magicka, and heavy to health. This link might help clarify:

http://elderscrollsonline.info/armour-skills

Enchantments are add-ons to gear. Even though heavy armor passives are health based, you can find/create heavy armor that also boosts your stamina through stamina glyphs. These glyphs will say things like "Add (X amount) of max stamina". You can enchant any type of armor with these attribute-boosting glyphs; it just so happens that you found some heavy armor with stamina enchants. You could even replace the stamina enchantments with different ones if you wanted. Enchantments, like I said, are just add-ons to gear and have nothing to do with the skill passives of gear.

Now, as others posters mentioned, you don't have to adhere to anyone's "perfect" build. If you want to try a hybrid build, no one's stopping you. As someone else pointed out,
    JJBaboon wrote: »
    You might not hit as hard as a pure magicka build or stamina build might, but for some pvp as even some pve dps builds it can be incredibly effective as you have 2 resource pools to draw from for your abilities and a simple weapon switch changes your role/capabilities.

You might not be pulling the greatest numbers in terms of DPS or healing as a hybrid, but you gain a bit more versatility. In the end, it's up to you. If you come to regret whatever decisions you make now later on, there's always the respec shrines. Stendarr, Akatosh, Stuhn, Auriel, and Kyne are all-forgiving deities. :)
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    personally I have found the Vigilants a little petulant though

• SkepticalGlenn
    @Sandshark95 I really appreciate the info. You clarified a lot of things for me. I will definetly need that wayshrine to respec i think.
    Khajit has wares
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @SkepticalGlenn Happy to help. That's what the community's for. Those shrines are indeed divine in more ways than one. :)
  • SkepticalGlenn
    @SkepticalGlenn Happy to help. That's what the community's for. Those shrines are indeed divine in more ways than one. :)

I'm not exactly sure where any of them are ( in the aldmeri dominion ) but i'll look them up when I get home from work. Is there a limit or cost to how often I can use them?
    Khajit has wares
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @SkepticalGlenn No, there's no limit to usage or cost. It's not that expensive--a few thousand, maybe, depending on how many skill points/attributes you have.

In AD, your shrines are going to be located in the city of Elden Root in Grahtwood--you know, the giant tree city in the middle of the Grahtwood map? Enter the big tree and the shrines are located on the first floor (same floor as the Wayshrine, if you go through any doors you've gone too far). Just look around the walls of the inside of the trunk; they're adjacent to the pool of water, across from the grand staircase that leads to the second-floor entrances. Here's a map of the city, and the floor inside the tree showing the shrines:

600px-ON-map-Elden_Root.jpg
    elden-root-grahtwood-aldmeri-dominion-respec-location.jpg

• SkepticalGlenn
    @Sandshark95 Ok sweet I think I might have seen those before then. I have about 35k septims but I might wait till I get lvl 50 to respec and just focus on experimenting and stuff on the way. I would hate to rededicate only to find out I made another mistake lol. Are you in a guild by any chance? I'm looking to join a very active guild that has a lot of camaraderie.
    Khajit has wares
  • Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    @SkepticalGlenn I'm in a few guilds, but mostly small ones that aren't too active. I'm also a member of two trading guilds with around 300 members. I play solo most of the time, but when I start hitting Vet ranks on all my characters, I'll probably start looking for an active dungeon guild myself. The Guild Recruitment section on these forums is a great place to browse for guilds you might be interested in joining.

If you're on the PS4 NA Server, feel free to hit me up if you ever need someone to run dungeons, have questions, or are looking for a Werewolf bite. I have 6 characters, two in each alliance; three are maxed WWs, two are Vamps (they won't be able to bite for a little while). PSN's the same as my username.

Good luck with everything. And don't be afraid to respec before you hit 50; you can't really make mistakes if you're just trying out skills and finding what you like best.