Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Cannot pick locks

ingis69
ingis69
Soul Shriven
Can someone please give me an easy step by step guide to picking locks...I'm not new to these games at all and have picked locks In Oblivion with no problems...but no matter how many videos I watch I cannot do it in this game...am I missing something or what?
I'm on Xbox one by the way.
thanks guys
  • KerinKor
    KerinKor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I do it is to click and hold the button on a tumbler and watch till it tumbler begins to shake, but I don't fret trying to immediately let go as you're supposed to, most of the time I fail.

BUT

I do remember where the tumbler begins to shake so I release it and re-click it then just before I see it at the point I know it's going to shake I release it, and the slight lag in the client responding to this works 95% of the time or more.

For me that was the key point (no pun intended!), to realise that there's always time to have one failure per tumbler, even on Masters 9 times out of 10, and after a while you are able to predict those tumblers that are going all the way down and be able to never fail those, which save times as well.

It's hard to begin with, but this is how I learned how to do it and I've not picked well over 1000 of things and rarely now ever fail even a Master.
    Edited by KerinKor on July 28, 2015 11:28AM
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've heard that the latency is bad on the Xbox. So just listening is not enough. When you hear the sound it is too late. Best is to have a "failed" attempt to push a cilinder to see how deep it has to go, and then do a second attempt and release it just there (so just above the place it failed the time before). to practise this, I really recommend simple locks.
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I don't listen to anything, just watch it shake a bit and if you missed it then do it again and release before it starts shaking at all.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    practice practice practice

if you are quick you can double attempt each tumbler, first to find where it needs to go and then second to put it there knowing where it needs to be
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Sandshark95
    Sandshark95
    ✭✭✭
    On the PS4, turning on the controller vibration helps a lot. I assume this also an option available to XBOX users.

Most of the time, if you look really closely as your depressing a tumbler, you'll begin to notice that it will tilt ever so slightly to one side of the chamber before any shaking occurs. It's a very subtle cue, but I've found it immensely helpful.

In general, you'll want to release the tumbler the moment right before it begins to shake. You can sometimes get away with releasing it a bit later, just as it begins shaking, but any longer and the attempt will fail and your lockpick may break. Letting go right before you notice the first signs of a tumbler trembling is the key.