Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone please explain to me using trait gems

molonlabe80
molonlabe80
Soul Shriven
I have a lot of trait gems but it wont let me use them when i craft so how do i use them? It states i have to research to unlock so does that mean i cant use the trait gems until i find a weapon/armor with that specific trait gem and research it? If i already have the gem why cant I use it?
  • Rune_Relic
    Rune_Relic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The gems are just the material required to add the trait to the weapon/armour.
    You still need the knowledge to apply the trait.
    You only gain that knowledge by deconstructing items with said trait.

The more traits you find for each weapon/armour type....the longer it takes to research the next trait.
    You can speed this up by adding points to passives in the crating tree type concerned.
    But its best to research traits most needed first.

Suggestion:
    Find a crafting a partner and study alternate traits.
    Then Craft the unknown traits for each other to deconstruct.
    Doesn't speed up the learning process but finding the right item with the right trait can be difficult and time consuming.
    Edited by Rune_Relic on July 27, 2015 7:49PM
    Anything that can be exploited will be exploited
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    does that mean i cant use the trait gems until i find a weapon/armor with that specific trait gem and research it?

Yes.

You need to research the trait before you can apply it. First trait takes 6 hours, second trait on an item takes 12 hours etc. So, get a single trait on each item researched before you start on the second ones. Focus first on the items you are going to use so you can get to 3 traits known in 2 weeks, then flesh out the rest of them.

Unlock the Research Passives that let you research more than one item in a group at once.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rune_Relic wrote: »
    The gems are just the material required to add the trait to the weapon/armour.
    You still need the knowledge to apply the trait.
    You only gain that knowledge by deconstructing researching items with said trait.

The more traits you find for each weapon/armour type....the longer it takes to research the next trait.
    You can speed this up by adding points to passives in the crating tree type concerned.
    But its best to research traits most needed first.
    Small typo. I am sure Rune meant it this way as he continues to clarify researching,
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone