The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Where can i find some starting cooking recipes in Daggerfall?

Zeroswitch
I just started a character in the Daggerfall Covenant area. I have been doing quite a bit of the crafting and started completing some of the writ quests, but the issue is trying to finish the cooking writs. I just don't have the recipes to do it. I know you have to find them from cabinets and drawers. I was wondering if anyone knew a good place in Daggerfall area in which I can find them.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the ships down in the harbor, and upstairs at the inn if you want to steal them.

Or, buy the recipes at the Guild Kiosks

Or, buy the finished crafted food (Green ones, not looted White ones) at the KIosks and turn that in for the writ.

Because, Ironically enough, the best source of recipes are the writ containers you get for doing provisioning writs.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Answer ✓
  • Sighlynce
    Sighlynce
    ✭✭✭
    The easiest thing to do is go to one of the Guild stalls and buy them. Most of the ones I've seen have pretty decent prices on the green recipes. Some you have to just find like Nut Brown Ale and Roast Corn they seem to be hard to come by. You can just ask in chat or check the Guild stalls for a chicken breast or roast corn (whatever). They will work to complete writ. You don't have to make it yourself, you just can't use one you find in game.
    "What is better - to be born good, or to overcome your evil nature through great effort?" - Paarthurnax
  • Zeroswitch
    Nestor wrote: »
    Try the ships down in the harbor, and upstairs at the inn if you want to steal them.

Or, buy the recipes at the Guild Kiosks

Or, buy the finished crafted food (Green ones, not looted White ones) at the KIosks and turn that in for the writ.

Because, Ironically enough, the best source of recipes are the writ containers you get for doing provisioning writs.

Thanks for the tips!
  • FancyTuna8
    FancyTuna8
    ✭✭✭
    Here's an example of what I did in Daggerfall for at least 2 weeks (I'm on xbox):
    train horse
    run to house I began the game in, loot it
    across street to unlocked house, loot it
    sometimes went to the boat that takes you to starter island, but is full of npc's, so you have to time your looting
    ran across town to inn, looted everything upstairs
    if I felt really desperate, went into fighters and mages guild and looted them, but it is a lot of running for very few extra shots at a recipe.
    ran to the 2 docked boats--at most one npc to worry about if you are also looting provisioning ingredients from barrels, etc. on the deck--but the meat of what is in the boats is in the cabins and hulls
    thieves guild to launder it all, then bank down there to free up storage
    exiting thieves guild respawns containers, back to boats. repeat the boats-->thieves guild cycle until tired of doing it

I never found carrot soup and golden lager, though I did make a lot of gold, found many other recipes, and motifs
    I started looking at the guild kiosks, and did find carrot soup that way--but I was hitting guild kiosks in 3 cities for at least 5-6 days.
    When I found the thread with the list of writ recipes, I checked off everything I had bought and looted, and found I could just skip to level/zone 2 provisioning writs without a problem. I will probably not ever find golden lager with this character, since my stomach for looting Glenumbra is empty. But I am able to do my writs now, with a clear path until at least zone 5 of having all needed writ recipes. If my guild still has a trader, I do plan on making all the writ recipe foods I can for the first 2 zones for DC in xbox, but I really don't see any players selling food for the writs. Just random food/drink from blue and purple recipes, which is funny since I think most people would pay to get the green writ-required recipe food/drink.
    Good luck. This goal consumed more of my time than questing and leveling up.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FancyTuna8 wrote: »
    but I really don't see any players selling food for the writs. Just random food/drink from blue and purple recipes, which is funny since I think most people would pay to get the green writ-required recipe food/drink.

As soon as somebody with a Guild Kiosk in the starter towns wakes up and starts making this stuff, then you should see it.

I would pay 100 Gold on the PC for 4 items when I did not have the recipe. You could probably get 100 per single food, if not more, on the Consoles with the over inflated prices they have now.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• FancyTuna8
    FancyTuna8
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    FancyTuna8 wrote: »
    but I really don't see any players selling food for the writs. Just random food/drink from blue and purple recipes, which is funny since I think most people would pay to get the green writ-required recipe food/drink.

As soon as somebody with a Guild Kiosk in the starter towns wakes up and starts making this stuff, then you should see it.

I would pay 100 Gold on the PC for 4 items when I did not have the recipe. You could probably get 100 per single food, if not more, on the Consoles with the over inflated prices they have now.

If the trading guild I'm in that had a trader/kiosk last week still does this week, I'm going to start putting the writ foot up in stacks of 4 or 6. Considering our ridiculous food and recipe prices, 100g is probably right. Single food and alchemy ingredients are often priced 50g anyway.