Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I Need "Experienced" players advice with my Templar build asap!

I3irchy
I3irchy
Breton Templar v3
Magica 36 health 16 Stam 0 (werewolf) = 15% Stam recovery
5 part cloth
2 part heavy (chest and legs)

First bar, sword and shield
1 Shield assault
2 puncturing sweep
3 blazing shield
4 Defensive stance
5 Repentance

Using dawns wrath ultimate

Second bar, restoration staff
1 dark flare
2 purifying ritual
3 radiant oppression
4 purifying light
5 breath of life

Using restoring light ultimate

I can heal perfectly fine in instances providing the tank can hold most agro,
I can level perfectly fine and very rarely get put down taking on bunches of mobs,
Charge in with shield assault Constantly activating blazing shield absorbing then releasing dmg while pounding away with puncturing sweep healing me plus doing dmg,
Or bigger single mobs I go purifying light couple of dark flares then radiant oppression, hits like bus when purifying light blows

All this ain't the problem, I'm having a lot of trouble in pvp with this build with certain attacks from other players for instance... Focused aim and critical shards seem to absolutely annihilate me and 70% of the time they one shot me with these abilities, how the hell can I stop this ? Any suggestions would be good or some advice on my build, it's so frustrating to get taken down so easily when I'm use to being a paladin in WoW with infinite mana and bubble just solid pure op heals with 20+ people around me throwing everything they had at me not even making a scratch, not the case in eso I feel more like a rogue with a health potion in pvp lol I mean the biggest downfall of pvp is the -15% healing that's just ridiculous and I hope they fix that rubbish soon, so any advice on the arrow guys that spam focused aim or crystal shards would be good as they shouldn't be taking me down that quick surely ? Sometimes it's that quick I see no health go down I just die? Earlier today I got hit by a cold harbour firebalistic hitting me upwards for 30.000 dmg and then recieved another 30,000 dmg from fall dmg wtf? My character in pvp 70% of the time dies from getting hit way to hard I need help !

My Psn ID is L3irchy feel free to add me I'll run dungeons allday long !
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    when I'm use to being a paladin in WoW

there is the first part of your issue.

It's hard to say why people annihilate you without knowing their builds. So I focus on yours.

This is not WoW and a templar is NOT a paladin!

More important..Class is less important in ESO than in any other game.

The first mistake I see is the board and shield (or actually how you approach it). Seeing how you speak as if the stamina recovery from werewolf matters, I think you make the mistake of seeing magicka and stamina only as different pools of manna. They are more than that. The total amount of magicka also increases your spellpower. This means your magicka is increasing the amount of healing you can do. So while it is perfectly ok to use a board and shield, it should not be used for tanking while healing cause those two don't combine. You either are a healer or you are a tank, but never both!

The second issue arises with your armor and attribute points. You have a lot of points in health, compared to magicka and use light armor over heavy armor. It is much better to switch it around.

Armor (and specially the passives for heavy armor) help in mitigating damage. While health only increases your health.

As the amount of HP you heal scale of magicka, it is actually more effective to prevent damage through armor, then increasing your health (and sacrificing hp you heal). So when running e.g. 5 heavy and 2 light pieces, you will have much more protection. This means you can throw all or much points in magicka, increasing the amount you can heal a lot. This not only prevents getting one shotted, but also makes you a much better healer so you can outheal the massive bursts.

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • I3irchy
    I3irchy
    I don't tank with this build I only heal in instances or pvp, in pve and most cases pvp the shield gets me up close with shield assault and knocks them down so I can spam puncturing sweeps that's the idea of the shield plus adds extra armor for a mostly cloth built char where cloth is needed for spell power and magica regen is needed
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I3irchy wrote: »
    I don't tank with this build I only heal in instances or pvp, in pve and most cases pvp the shield gets me up close with shield assault and knocks them down so I can spam puncturing sweeps that's the idea of the shield plus adds extra armor for a mostly cloth built char where cloth is needed for spell power and magica regen is needed

Majority of templar healers use Sword&Shield on one bar when healing in PvP, so definitely right thinking.

You get extra stats+slot+block cost reduction for free. Healers need all the survivability they can get. Only reasons to use resto is when having magicka sustain issues or if you need any of the skills.

But I'm not fond of it for dps'ing, since you cant block much in the first place. Puncturing Sweep, Dark Flare and Jesus Beam is cast time or channelled, so you wont get that much benefits from the shield passives.

I would replace Purifying Light tho. No one lives long enough in PvP, for it to make a difference. Eclipse is really good to use, to shut down players. Channelled Focus if you have issues with magicka recovery. Harness Magicka/Dampen magic is pretty mandatory to slot for small scale or solo, unless you have loads of nirn stacked.

Also, not sure about Shield Assault. You need your stamina pool desperately for for cc breaks, dodge and block, especially if anyone sees that you're healing. Toppling Charge does have a little clunky cool-down on it, but at least it costs magicka.
  • Atlaz
    Atlaz
    ✭✭
    I never made anything and used it much besides sorcerer so I wouldn't know. However you can easily pick up and use any weapon you want at any given time. The biggest difference will be if your using full light, medium, heavy armor and all their skill sets. Granted though high elf having +10% total magic, bonus magic recovery replenishment and bonus total destruction damage does give the character more of an advantage with all things magic.
    "Bretons are renowned and talented craftsmen, shrewd merchants, gallant cavaliers, and inventive wizards. They can also be proud and quarrelsome."
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I3irchy wrote: »

Never said that you where ;)

I've said that it seemed that the way you where approaching sword and board (and the pools of magicka and stamina in general) posed an issue where your trouble might come from.

Also I've never played WoW, so I don't have a clue what a paladin is. I only had a few encounters with players who think the templar is an excellent tank/healer hybrid.

the main remarks bout how being a werewolf doesnt matter a lot and how you have too much points in health and not in Magicka (and bout using more heavy pieces to balance for the loss of health) still stand though. Hope it helps!

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • I3irchy
    I3irchy
    Thanks for the help guys I changed a couple of things has advised and I think my problem is nirncrux... I don't have it lol so I'm going to wait and test with that, I changed purifying light for the speed ability in assault and changed radiant oppression for spear shards I think it's called, and the funny thing is I found a build online already the exact same and they refer to it has the shredder Templar. It's more of a leading group Pvp build with a lot of heals, the idea is to activate defensive stance and blazing shield charge in with shielded assault tap once with light attack for ULT power and spam puncturing sweep, all this constantly activated should make you unstoppable with my build being 5 cloth and 2 heavier armor plus shield its a nice mix although the shredder Templar build on YouTube as 2 parts medium armor with extra Stam which I've tried but get hit harder. Anyways again thanks for the help and let's hope they take the -15% reduction in healing off so Templars like me can actually use what they are good at lol
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    You don't need nirnhoned, wouldn't even mess with it until you start doing trials and vDSA regularly. I also don't think your magicka to health ratio is that bad either, just glyph everything for magicka to compensate. I'm just wondering how you use the build since you say you don't tank but you rush in with shield assault and use blazing shield/puncturing sweep, that's a lot of wasted magicka and you taking damage the tank should be. You get enough hate by healing.

Breath of life should be your main heal, only need 1, 2 max supplemental heals beyond that -- I prefer rapid regen/mutagen to keep the group topped off and then blood altar comes in handy sometimes, neither of those are constant strains on my magicka.

Hard boss fights, I'm generally just doing heavy resto staff attacks to get magicka back to keep spamming breath of life and keep regen up. My main DPS contribution comes from solar prison ulti and radiant oppression on lower health adds/boss. If you're having trouble on a DPS check then I'll mix dark flare in, like the 2nd boss in Fungal Grotto.

Other than that I'd recommend the Seducer's 5 piece set, then Warlock's jewelery + 2 Warlock pieces so you have both 5 piece bonuses.

For PVP I can't help you, I don't really PVP on my templar for vet levels, if I did I would probably go all heavy armor to be more survivable, but still use seducer's set.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Suisyo
    Suisyo
    ✭✭
    [quote="mklundub17_ESO;2104573"}
    Other than that I'd recommend the Seducer's 5 piece set, then Warlock's jewelery + 2 Warlock pieces so you have both 5 piece bonuses..[/quote]

I second that notion. 5 pieces of the Seducer set works great on my templar, but I am using a mainly heavy armor build with 2 light mixed in which helps me with the added armor plus heavy armor passives. If you can't get your hands on the Warlock pieces right away I suggest substituting them with an easy to craft set temporarily. I use Death's Wind for the extra armor and health, but there are a lot of good bonuses. Check here for all the sets and locations. elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Set+Bonus+Crafting+Locations

Altmer Templar & Bosmer Sorcerer
    Ebonheart Pact
    Xbox One - NA
  • I3irchy
    I3irchy
    Being new and without going on the game I couldn't tell you what the passive names are but I have the first 3 full in heavy armour I have them all full in light armor, also got my racial passives all full, and most of aedrics spear passives, couple dawns wrath passives and a lot of restoring light passives, these passives are all in the right place for my build that work well together but just can't remember any of there names, also when I say I don't tank I mean I don't tank in dungeons.. Well I've never attempted for obviously reasons but mainly because I don't have any abilitys to keep Agro on myself, and just like you mentioned i also use restoration staff, with only cycle of life passive and the + 8 % extra healing on players below 30% health, and just spam breath of life and heavy attack when magikas low, anyways thanks for the advice and I'll be having a good look at that link later as I've been baffled on how to obtain these.