The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Low Memory issue

Spitzer
Spitzer
Soul Shriven
So recently I started having this Low Memory issue crop up where it can really mess up my computer. Is there some fix for this? If not I will have to contact customer support.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spitzer wrote: »
    So recently I started having this Low Memory issue crop up where it can really mess up my computer. Is there some fix for this? If not I will have to contact customer support.

To be honest, I have no clue bout what your issue is and only know it has something to do with your memory.

Support will likely also need additional info and it is up to you if you continue here or go strait to support. In any ways. I would suggest answering these base questions that are common in troubleshooting technical issues.

1: what is the exact nature of your issue. If you get an error message, can you state exactly what it is. If you recognise the issue in another way, let us know what you see that makes you believe you have an issue.

2: what are the steps required in getting this issue? so for example. if you get an error message...when do you get it?? what are the steps leading up to it?? how do you get rid of it? does it come back and how often??

3: what are your system specs. Most important:
    - brand and model of your cpu
    - amount of memory (ram)
    - brand and model of your GPU (graphical card)
    - what windows version are you using (and cause I know it is bout memory, is it 32 bits or 64 bits windows??)

If you need any additional help in finding the answers, just let me know in here ;)
    Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭

Is this memory related to LUA? If so, it means you probably have too many addons, or the addons you're using are keeping a lot of information in memory. ESO has allocated a very limited amount of space for all of the addons to run in.
  • Spitzer
    Spitzer
    Soul Shriven
    Ranique wrote: »
    1: what is the exact nature of your issue. If you get an error message, can you state exactly what it is. If you recognise the issue in another way, let us know what you see that makes you believe you have an issue.

2: what are the steps required in getting this issue? so for example. if you get an error message...when do you get it?? what are the steps leading up to it?? how do you get rid of it? does it come back and how often??

- amount of memory (ram)
    - what windows version are you using (and cause I know it is bout memory, is it 32 bits or 64 bits windows??)

1. Error message that pops up is "Low Memory please close programs to free memory."
    2. Steps required is simply turning the game on and waiting.
    3. i. Intel core i7 - 5960X.
    ii. 16GB
    iii. Nvidia GeForce GTX750
    iv. Windows 8.1

Also now I am getting black screens where I don't seem to be able to do anything with my computer but if I am in TeamSpeak I can hear others talking but TeamSpeak doesn't seem to register that I am pressing my talk button and I have to power down my computer as not even task manager will show up.
  • Tessie
    Tessie
    ✭✭✭
    If this is something that recently started happening I would do an anti-virus scan and then also run Malwarebytes.org

With your system specs you shouldn't be having problems unless you are running multiple instances of the game client or many other programs at the same time.
  • Ranique
    Ranique
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm missing wether or not you are using windows 8.1. 64 bits or 32 bits. As 32 bits is getting an oddball with windows 8.1 I assume it is 64 bits, but I recommend checking it if you are not sure (and if you use a 32 bits windows, get it changed asap!)

You are saying you are getting black screens??
    Are these black screens of death or really blacked out screens? I assume the last. But is the monitor still recieving info (it is a slight difference. A black screen with contact to the pc has a lil bit of backlight, while if the monitor goes really off, it is more grey-ish black. Often then the monitor gives a "no signal" message.

Does the computer recovers from it?
    I have a somewhat simular setup and this (the black screen) has happened to me once or twice when playing ESO. It happened when I unplugged my headset from my keyboard (I got one of those gaming keyboards where you can plug it in, unplugging it is a bit buggy though).

You saying that it is simply turning the game on and waiting. I know it is bugging you, but that won't cut it for troubleshooting. Turning the game on and waiting litterally means going to the launcher, and not hitting play. I assume that you actually get passed the launcher. Can you get to the login screen? and to character select? are you getting into the game? are you playing when it happens? or did you create a test-case and only wait till it happens while not moving an inch??

These differences can indicate a lot of different reasons.

But for now I assume you are on a 64 bits windows, you can login and get to play but after a certain amount of time the message pops up and you even go to a blank screen. Your commands to the computer are blocked (does pressing numlock makes the numlock indicator light on or off btw??), but the computer is not fully stuck (as TS is still sending audio to your speaker/headset and so your internet connection is working and your soundchip.

The good news is than that this is not a hardware issue. But it is software.
    I would suggest first to check if you are running eso.exe as an admin (see the sticky post for instructions). also make sure you set the compatibility mode for eso.exe to windows xp (sp3) (again see the sticky post for instructions).
    Try updating your drivers.
    As you are using nvidia. Try disabling the service nvstreamsvc: go to control panel (large icons view) - administrative tools - computer management - (in the left column:) Services and applications. select services, find nvstream.svc (nvidia streaming service) and disable it (double click and then change start up type to "disabled"). Reboot the pc and see if it fixed it.
    (this service is used to stream your gameplay to certain tablets so you can play from them. This is not supported for ESO and cause of many known issues).

If all else fails. I think you did more then enough to legimate a support ticket ;)

Hope it gets resolved asap!

Through me you pass into the city of woe:
    Through me you pass into eternal pain:
    Through me among the people lost for aye.

PC player - EU
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ranique wrote: »

- amount of memory (ram)

1. Error message that pops up is "Low Memory please close programs to free memory."
    2. Steps required is simply turning the game on and waiting.
    3. i. Intel core i7 - 5960X.
    ii. 16GB
    iii. Nvidia GeForce GTX750
    iv. Windows 8.1

Also now I am getting black screens where I don't seem to be able to do anything with my computer but if I am in TeamSpeak I can hear others talking but TeamSpeak doesn't seem to register that I am pressing my talk button and I have to power down my computer as not even task manager will show up.

To resolve that error, you need to increase your LUA memory, you can do this with an addon, in the chat box, or do it offline (game closed), in the usersetting txt file. Default is 64 MB, given your specs, you could increase that to 512 no problem, but you can start at 128 and 256.

The issue you're having sounds GPU related if you whole system crashes into a black screen but you can still hear an audio feed.
  • Spitzer
    Spitzer
    Soul Shriven
    fixed. turned off harvester map add on and it all stopped entirely. going to increase lua memory and try again tomorrow. If I don't post here again it's because the increase as suggested by ThePonzzz worked.
  • Lord_Imrhial
    Lord_Imrhial
    ✭✭✭
    fixed. turned off harvester map add on and it all stopped entirely. going to increase lua memory and try again tomorrow. If I don't post here again it's because the increase as suggested by ThePonzzz worked.

Hopefully that was it. If not, then do a virus sweep. You shouldn't be having any memory issues with any game/program with the hardware you specified.