Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

What kind of build/set-up works for a solo player?

fatalkiwi
fatalkiwi
✭✭
I've just downloaded the game, I'm about to make my first character but where do I begin?

I'll probably be playing solo since I have a crazy work/life schedule, it doesn't leave me much time to make friends really :(
I prefer ranged classes with movability and the ablility to have a decent DPS output while being able to self-sustain through potions/spells.

Any replies are appreciated :)

Note: I have the Imperial Edition if that makes any difference.
Edited by fatalkiwi on July 25, 2015 7:19PM
  • Rinmaethodain
    Rinmaethodain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played most of game solo, all the way up to VR14

My build is full hp tank with sword and board. I could feel a lot of times lack of DPS (some fights would take like 5 minutes with boss) but i was able to deal with quest and enemies even 5 lvls higher than me (if there were no more than 3 of them). So survivability great and able to solo everything but long.

Properly adjusting stam/hp ratio and throwing in a two handed weapon can still give you some HP for narrow encounters but 2hand and more stamina will let you DPS more.

For a ranged DPS as solo player? You might have chance at killing single enemies before they get close. But in close quarter, when doing public dungeon or a storyline quest where there are enemies in pairs or more that might be not enough to survive. But then again you can try boosting up your HP with some attributes into that stat and enchanting whole gear with +max health
    Edited by Rinmaethodain on July 25, 2015 8:57PM
  • fatalkiwi
    fatalkiwi
    ✭✭
    Thank you for your response, I shall take into consideration the sword and board set up.

I'm currently checking out an Imperial using a bow, it seems quite weak and since a lot of mobs rush at you there's no real advantage to trying to range them ._.
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also play solo, going for dual-wield Nightblade. I love getting close and personal with boss fights, so it's rewarding (and some of them can be downright tough).

I initially tried using the bow, but felt it far, far too underpowered to control mobs, even with the skills. If you go with the bow, you may want to back it up with blade or staff for those "oh hell no!" moments.

The great thing about this game is you can diversify your character. The most important part is picking your class. Make sure you pick a class that's in line with how you intend to play. Each class has 3 skillsets unique to it, so read up on them.

As for the rest of the skills, you can pretty much build them all. There's enough exp and skill points in the game where you can be diverse. However, just be aware some won't be as strong based on the class you selected (ie, sorc damage won't be as strong if you're under DK class).

Welcome to the game. You're going to have a blast. :)
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My DK used nothing but a bow and 1h/shield all the way up to 50 and even beyond. She could handle anything thrown at her, but it was often quite slow. Bombard is good for keeping groups immobilized.

Now she runs with 2h and dual wield, occasionally 1h/shield instead of 2h when she really needs to turtle up. Worked well when soloing Craglorn delves. I'd pop Evasion and mow down weaker mobs with AoE, switching to shield to buff up or when taking excessive damage.

Your vision sounds more like a nightblade though. They're fairly fragile at first, they need to reach outside their class skills for defence, but they have good synergy with bow, excellent resource sustain and interesting options in Siphoning. I think I'd actually go for a magicka nightblade with a resto/destro staff and 1h/shield. Gives you range, tankiness and optional self-heals during tough encounters. That's just me though, because nightblades are fun. You're new, so a dragonknight would probably be a better sturdy option and easier to learn. Templars work well enough under 50 too, but I have no experience with them in vet, so I can't talk about it.
  • fatalkiwi
    fatalkiwi
    ✭✭
    Thank you both for your replies :) This is great information to have!

One last question here : How would a high mage sorc build work if I wanted to try that?
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fatalkiwi wrote: »
    Thank you both for your replies :) This is great information to have!

One last question here : How would a high mage sorc build work if I wanted to try that?

Pretty much any build/class/race combination works for solo'ing, unless you make the biggest and most common beginners mistake out there...make a hybrid build.

You have to choose if you want to be magicka/spell power focused and pick skills scaling of that, for your main dps and heals. If not you play stamina/weapon power full focus, same deal only skills scaling of that and pump related attributes. If you mix, like the vast majority of new players do, you end up doing low dmg and low strength in survivability skills and so on.

Magicka sorcerers always work, can solo anything in PvE. But I dont like them for solo'ing, the lack of AoE (especially lower levels) when grinding and questing makes it slow. You have to do a lot of target switching and single target, I'm to lazy for that.

I think DK and templar are the most enjoyable ones for solo'ing if you play a magicka build. They get nice AoE, self-heals and single target, from class skills. If you want more ranged, you can always add Destruction Staff to the build.
  • mklundub17_ESO
    mklundub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It depends what you're trying to solo. If you're trying to clear public dungeons and world bosses at the appropriate level then you mainly need some sort of self heal and a way to get resources back - resto staff provides both. And shine points into health and using food will help.

If you're trying to grind solo, then aoe farming is best and you'll obviously want aoes like destro staff impulse, 2h brawler is also good because it gives you a damage shield that scales by the number of mobs. Aoe farming is all about speed, so resource pool regen is most important, drinks can help.
    Mass Terror
    PS4 | NA | AD
    v16 Imperial Templar
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fatalkiwi wrote: »

Sorcs are great for soloing, especially if you're looking for high-output ranged DPS. Pet will allow you to solo some really tough group content! Check out the build link in my signature.
  • Willy8257
    Willy8257
    A sorcerer with daedric summons works really really well for solo play. You can achieve reletively high ranged dps and your pets (clannfear to be specific) will draw most of the agro and tank like crazy.
  • 99Mile
    99Mile
    Any good DPS Dragonknight build anyone could suggest?
  • SugaComa
    SugaComa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything you like ... That's what's great about this game ... I solod pretty much all of AD with my hybrid Templar

I'd say they're more forgiving than others cos of the healing perks.
  • OzJohnD
    OzJohnD
    ✭✭✭✭
    my solo experience has been a sorcerer ... glass cannon, a challenge but fun. To add to the challenge I vamp'ed him and do not use any fire resist gear.

generally something with a decent self heal with help will your soloing experience ... which means anything really as you can always equip a restoration staff for its heals (useful on your second ability bar after lvl 15)

recently I created a Templar and use mostly the 2 hander skills on my ability bar, not leveling any of the Templar skills except for the instant self heal, not that I would recommend this as a first character to play with

read a bit on Deltias gaming and perhaps Tamriel Foundry websites

http://deltiasgaming.com/

http://tamrielfoundry.com/

Never be afraid of dying, its a minor inconvenience only

Edited by OzJohnD on July 26, 2015 11:21PM
    Everyone knows the phenomenon of trying to hold your breath underwater - how at first it's alright and you can handle it, and then as it gets closer and closer to the time when you must breathe, how urgent the need becomes, the lust and the hunger to breathe. And then the panic sets in when you begin to think that you won't be able to breathe - and finally, when you take in air and the anxiety subsides...that's what it's like to be a vampire and need blood.

Francis Ford Coppola - BS Dracula: The Film and the Legend

• Waralchemist
    personally i would suggets a Templar/Heavy Armor that will give you some really good surviveability

just use the insta cast heal and the ability that gives you a passive bonus to MP/stam/HP regen from the healing tree
    then you can use whatever you want for a weapon pretty effectively
  • fatalkiwi
    fatalkiwi
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your replies! Sorry for the delay in responding...real life and all that (not so)fun stuff. I've settled on high elf sorcerer as I'm finding it quite fun and challenging to learn. I didn't initially go for daedric pets but fire staff and a minion addition is working out well for me.

Again, thanks for the responses!