Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Console players, if I built a set of mobile and web apps to replace zone chat would you use it?

krathos
krathos
✭✭✭✭✭
Reddit thread.

I switched from PC to console and really miss chat. I often turn off area voice because of people blasting music, yelling, babies crying, etc so I feel detached from the community.

My day job is a software engineer that builds real time communication apps.

The question I have for you all is if I built a series of apps (web, android, iOS, and WP8) would you use them?

The basics are this:

You would create an account and join Xbox or PS4 NA/EU. Then there would be channels for each faction on general chat, lfg, trade, one for each campaign, etc. I would like to also allow users to create their own private channels for DMs, Guilds, Groups, zones, etc.

I am trying gauge interest and if there's enough interest I will likely build this.
Flapjack Palmdale
<ANIMOSITY>

Grand Overlord - Magicka Dragonknight
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean honestly if you are going to do this then just have an IRC client with its own eso server and get it done in a few hours instead of reinventing the wheel.

Beyond that though, I highly doubt you will get most people behind this as it would require multiple devices to communicate through the game.

Ps4 you can already communicate using mobile just send the person a message on ps4.

Would be much better if you could make an app native on the ps4 that could overlay over eso, but that is just about impossible.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • krathos
    krathos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    I mean honestly if you are going to do this then just have an IRC client with its own eso server and get it done in a few hours instead of reinventing the wheel.

Beyond that though, I highly doubt you will get most people behind this as it would require multiple devices to communicate through the game.

Ps4 you can already communicate using mobile just send the person a message on ps4.

Would be much better if you could make an app native on the ps4 that could overlay over eso, but that is just about impossible.

Impossible on PS4 maybe (idk) but not on Xbox. I thought about just setting up a slack room or irc to do it but people seem to be more afraid of doing something like that than using something targeted towards them. I develop chat/voice/video apps for a living so I wouldn't really be reinventing anything. Mostly just implementing a framework I've already built but specifically for console players.
    Flapjack Palmdale
    <ANIMOSITY>

Grand Overlord - Magicka Dragonknight
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love this idea if you need any help let me know.
    Edited by Jaronking on July 23, 2015 9:48PM
  • chevalierknight
    chevalierknight
    ✭✭✭
    No not really i play on xbox to sit on my bum and see it on my big tv you can have a party chat using the xbox or in game so you only talk to who you want to anyway and i can snap to send a message
    Edited by chevalierknight on August 3, 2015 12:53AM
  • AJ_1988
    AJ_1988
    ✭✭✭
    Good idea but having to look away from the game constantly and stuff could be disastrous. Idk. Need something tho for pvp. It's pretty annoying running place to place to update people on what's happening if they don't know.
  • AudioVortex
    AudioVortex
    ✭✭
    Xbox don't have the same mobile chat thing that PS4 does so I would be very interested in such an app. It would allow for a completely separate chat and not clog up my game screen with nonsense while im playing!

Obviously it would be mainly used for grouping up for dungeons, trading and just standing around rather than in combat text chat, because yeh, that wouldn't work too well.

Until such time as of when or if they implement text chat, this sounds like a great idea.
    Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
    Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
    Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
    EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
    EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite